Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your ADSL slow in the evenings?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

I'm with eircom, never had bandwidth issues. Just their DNS servers getting hacked the whole time. Since I switch to opendns I haven't had a problem with broadband.

3 megs down is pretty slow these days, but at least I know I can get that anytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

DECEiFER wrote: »
    That's DOS for Disk Operating System, not DoS for Denial of Service.

I said DOS, because the Command Prompt is a skimmed down version of the old OS from way back.

Fair enough. The problem with that is, that you only did it against u.tv and you don't know, if they filter ICMP on that server. Best to use the pingtest, because the servers are designed to answer to you for testing. Same result, if you've got troubles.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

When it's good, u.tv is fine. When it's bad, I'm losing packets with all URLs. I only did u.tv to show them, I normally do boards.ie or rte.ie.

When it's good, u.tv is fine. When it's bad, I'm losing packets with all URLs. I only did u.tv to show them, I normally do boards.ie or rte.ie.

So overloaded or dodgy router somewhere, contention usually only increases ping-times, probably a combination of both.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    So overloaded or dodgy router somewhere, contention usually only increases ping-times, probably a combination of both.

/M
    I mentioned a few posts up, and quoted an email of the same, saying that UTV has received admission from Eircom that my exchange is congested, and there are several others throughout the country that are on Eircom's congested exchange list.

• Advertisement

I mentioned a few posts up, and quoted an email of the same, saying that UTV has received admission from Eircom that my exchange is congested, and there are several others throughout the country that are on Eircom's congested exchange list.

Problem is, that you bought a contended service, so in essence UTV is not in violation of their contract, neither do they have the power to make eircom fix it.

Best choice is to find a provider, that owns their own infrastructure and is willing to maintain/upgrade it.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

arrrghhh this is a joke, im getting the same crap with utv, im on a 7.6Mb package for the past year but im too far from the exchange and only manage 4Mb( crappy downstream line att of 53 lol ), 99% of the time its grand and i get my full download

earlier tonight herself( 23:30 ) was watching some streaming stuff on the tv and i went to download a 300Mb file via http, 20-30K a sec i thought WTF, i switched off her streaming and all other net activity, tried speedtest.net, got .4MB per second, ping was 93( its usually 51 to on the galway test ), download was .1MB/sec

pinging boards.ie was ~104ms( usually 53-57 )

then at 1am its up at a download of 1.5MB/sec with .3 upload, ping to boards.ie is ~81

its 1:15am now and the download is now at 2MB on speedtest
    1:17 am its at 3MB on speedtest, arrghh

This is a joke, i hear UPC is digging up mullingar at the moment, if i can get it im ditching this junk asap. Waste of time talking to utv tech support,ive talked to them from different places i lived in over the past few years and they just fob you off or lower your speed.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

i'm on utv in Carlow, never really have contention issues, i'm on the 7.6 package and only ever get 3.5/4mb max, they say my line is not capable of more.

over all I'm happy with UTV i must say

patrickc wrote: »
    i'm on utv in Carlow, never really have contention issues, i'm on the 7.6 package and only ever get 3.5/4mb max, they say my line is not capable of more.

over all I'm happy with UTV i must say
    You're just on an exchange that isn't over-subscribed. At the end, it's Eircom who are in-charge of that. You'd get the same performance from Vodafone or Imagine. Hope it stays good for you!

Advertisement