Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book buying

Options
  • 22-09-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

right,

I think DIT and its lecturing staff need to cop on to the fact that there's a recession on and that every lecturer simply saying "Oh yeah you'll need this book" or "here are the 3 books you have to buy and you must buy them" simply isn't going to fly - or if it does it means it will at the expense of food and I dunno, probably at cost to my parents :mad:

I mean seriously, there are like 15 copys of the textbook in the library, why do I have to buy it just because YOU won't type up your own notes?!

I think if they are going to still insist on book buying (ok, some of it is inevitible but not the blazee manner in which you're told that "oh these are the texts and you must have the latest editions") then DIT itself should organise 2nd hand book selling. In fact, why is there not a second hand book shop in say, the SU in all the buildings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Depends on your course, but if it's a core text that the lecturer will be referring to every week then it makes sense. Even if there are 15 copies in the library, those 15 copies probably won't be enough for your whole class nevermind the rest of the college.

Lecture notes are never going to go into as much detail as a textbook. If you're in a taught subject such as engineering then you should be grand just going to lectures, but most non-science courses normally expect a fair amount of reading.

For 2nd hand books your best bet is to contact the year above you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Lecture notes are never going to go into as much detail as a textbook. If you're in a taught subject such as engineering then you should be grand just going to lectures, but most non-science courses normally expect a fair amount of reading.

See this is it, I am in engineering. So far I've bought one book (over the course of 2 years) and honestly, I really didn't need it and really didn't find it much use as my own notes were both clearer and more relevant to what I'd be examined on. And if I'm finding too many texts are being prescribed, I shudder to think about what other courses are like. Seriously though, DIT needs to get its act together regarding second hand book sales. Why not hold one two weeks into the year?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I got this too...

One lecturer gave us a list of books we had to buy - some went straight out and bought like 5 books.......others waited and see which ones he refered to most. Another lecturer made us buy the book HE WROTE?!! When we did actually have to buy a book we went to Chapters on Parnell Street and bought the book secondhand or if they hadnt got it ebay....

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Yea, I've had the same thing off 50% of my lecturers, the other half are grand. I couldn't even contemplate buying books for at least another six months! It's completely rediculus that students have to pay 70-80 euro per book and some courses need you to have more than one or two and as well as that there's the supplemetal reading! But you can just go to the library to find that stuff, thats if your lucky!
    I managed in 1st year getting through without buying any books until the exams in may and even at that I only bought one because yes, it wasn't in the library!! And that happens quite alot in DIT no matter what site your in!
    How and ever the rest of the lecturers are grand, they told us to go 2nd hand and non-specific editions were grand! And at that for those who couldn't get anything just photocopy what you need!

By the way, if anyone out there is looking for 2nd hand books from 2nd year DT315, cert in business just PM me, I've a few at home in immaculate condition.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

See this is it, I am in engineering. So far I've bought one book (over the course of 2 years) and honestly, I really didn't need it and really didn't find it much use as my own notes were both clearer and more relevant to what I'd be examined on. And if I'm finding too many texts are being prescribed, I shudder to think about what other courses are like. Seriously though, DIT needs to get its act together regarding second hand book sales. Why not hold one two weeks into the year?!

You're in engineering? I wouldn't have thought so many books were required for engineering. I used to study engineering, bought some of the books that appeared to be used for more than 1st year (y'know those gigantic maths books etc) but really I never needed to open them and the only times I did were for topics that I missed the lectures on. Luckily I was in TCD and they've an excellent student bookshop where I was able to sell my books and get some of my precious money back.
    I'm not sure about DIT, but in TCD it was a "taught" subject and everything was covered in the lectures, so books were a bit of a luxury really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Try to get them second hand in Chapters or somewhere. Even ask past students.

Advertisement