Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for Home

• 22-09-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Would a 7mb broadband be sufficient enough for a house of seven people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

no help????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Not really, Taking into account you will loose speed through wi-fi. Not all of ye will be on at same time but even realistically if 5 of ye are on and three are streaming video or only a couple tormenting then it'll cripple the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Mickeyie05 wrote: »

It depends on what those 7 people are doing If just surfing the net then its fine.

If some are wanting to download, others want to game and others want to stream video you might run into problems particularly for gamer. I guess you could employ some sort of equal sharing of bandwidth between the users

I think 7 is adequate. I remember sharing dialup 56k with 4 people :) IOL No Limits rocked when it first came out :D

Im thinkin of banning torrents on it to make sure people are not downloadin on it! is it possible to do that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Xcellor wrote: »
    It depends on what those 7 people are doing If just surfing the net then its fine.

If some are wanting to download, others want to game and others want to stream video you might run into problems particularly for gamer. I guess you could employ some sort of equal sharing of bandwidth between the users

I think 7 is adequate. I remember sharing dialup 56k with 4 people :) IOL No Limits rocked when it first came out :D

I agree...:)

as for the IOL dialup, wow i relate to that, plus i was using coaxial cables :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Im thinkin of banning torrents on it to make sure people are not downloadin on it! is it possible to do that??

You can leave the ports closed on the router, then set a password to access tit (and don't tell anyone what it is). This won't stop torrents, but it will make them slow, pretty unusably slow.

7 users on one modem are going to make it pretty slow though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

you best find out that you can get it first, where do you live, have you checked you line and the companies that are available to you, generally whatever speed eircom tells you that you can get is all you can get but there are exceptions

im going with vodafone at home i think!

Advertisement