Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusing to pay for a college course

Options
  • 22-09-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

My employer has asked me to take part in a course on my own time and is refusing to pay the course fee which comes to 700 euro.Obviously i don't just have 700 euro on hand and when i told her i could not afford this her reply was as i was a team leader i had to do it.When i asked about getting time in lieu or paid for the day when the course is taking place she more or less laughed.anybody got any advice or where i stand with employment rights etc

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

jucko wrote: »
    My employer has asked me to take part in a course on my own time and is refusing to pay the course fee which comes to 700 euro.Obviously i don't just have 700 euro on hand and when i told her i could not afford this her reply was as i was a team leader i had to do it.When i asked about getting time in lieu or paid for the day when the course is taking place she more or less laughed.anybody got any advice or where i stand with employment rights etc
    Tell her to fúck off.

If they need you to complete the course, they should be funding it. They can't make you do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

jucko wrote: »

A very unusual position for an employer to take. :confused:
    AIUI, if some extra qualification or membership of a professional body is a "necessary condition of continued employment", then an employee is entitled to submit the costs to Revenue & will be reimbursed through a reduction in tax.

NOTE: I'm not a lawyer or a tax consultant, but ISTR reading this a long time ago, but in all the courses I was required to do, my employer paid for them (& probably claimed the costs as a tax deduction).

Perhaps someone else can clarify/confirm this - maybe a look at revenue.ie.
    If this turns out to be true - then a letter from your employer stating that you must take this course to keep your job should be enough to get you the cost back.
    You still need to pay up front (probably), but at least you get the money back (eventually).

However, this is a really unusual situation, most employers pay for courses - there are (or were) training grants available, employees are not normally asked to pay for courses out of their own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

christ she sounds like a right cvnt.
    As was said tell her to take a hike...she can't force you to take a course that work's not paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Do you have a contract and what does it say about professional development, is it obligatory via terms and conditions in the employment contract that you have to attend these courses, conferences etc -pay for yourself and is there anything about who pay's for attending - what about previous courses who paid for them?

Normally an employer would recognise the benefits of staff being upskilled and the transferrable skills that can be gained and cross-applied from sending employees on courses for professional development.

Advertisement