Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt Accounts being banned

Options
  • 22-09-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so it's against the rules to set up an alt account to circumvent a ban, that's easy for mods and admins to enforce for most part I'd imagine.. IP addresses and the user's style of posting is a giveaway

But for accounts created like 2-3 years ago, how does boards verify that those accounts are being used by re-reg users?

I'm just curious about whether any other personally identifiable info is stored by you, I don't have any alt accounts =p

Here's an example of someone being banned as a re-reg on an account that's 2 years old - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62228298&postcount=244

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There are a myriad of ways.

Mostly we find them through people's stupidity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How come I can't reply to this without admin approval?

All posts (apart from thread opening posts) must be approved by an Admin.

Ah ok =)

My other post must have got lost during yesterday's maintainance..

Does boards store any info that isn't listed on the Privacy Statement, such as MAC addresses etc in order to identify individuals or their machines?

I don't believe vBulletin has any such capabilities.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I don't believe vBulletin has any such capabilities.

Fair enough.

Though, is your answer specifically about snooping for MAC addresses or the "any info that isn't listed on the Privacy Statement" part?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Check this out, unless you meant that by 'privacy statement', and for any technical details the Development forum may be able to help you out.

Advertisement