Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charity starts with mugging, apparently

• 22-09-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

So. I started a new job today, raising money for a charity. After about 2 hours on the job, a scumbag on Bachelor's Walk held me up with a syringe and mugged me. In broad daylight, beside a busy street. And by the way, I had only raised €18.

Has the world COMPLETELY gone to **** now, that these people will rob a freakin charity!?

And also, has anything like this happened to someone else too? Or was it just REALLY bad luck on my part?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Doubt you're the first and you certainly won't be the last but if i was you i question whoever the hell it was who thought it'd be a good idea to send someone charity collecting in that area. I'm only suprised you lasted 2 hours before you were robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Believe me, not my first choice. But still, it was like 2pm! I've never had hassle at that time of day before, not even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Urizen wrote: »
    So. I started a new job today, raising money for a charity. After about 2 hours on the job, a scumbag on Bachelor's Walk held me up with a syringe and mugged me. In broad daylight, beside a busy street. And by the way, I had only raised €18.

Has the world COMPLETELY gone to **** now, that these people will rob a freakin charity!?

And also, has anything like this happened to someone else too? Or was it just REALLY bad luck on my part?

If your a charity mugger theres some poetic justice there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

Serves you right. Did you tell people you were getting a cut of the Charity money they donated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They rob old ladies and kill old men. Did you think your high vis vest or your neatly trimmed goatee was going to save you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Poetic justice as has been said. You've no problem harassing people in the street looking for money, this guy did the same, his methods were just a little different :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Relevant wrote: »
    Serves you right. Did you tell people you were getting a cut of the Charity money they donated?

Jip wrote: »
    Poetic justice as has been said. You've no problem harassing people in the street looking for money, this guy did the same, his methods were just a little different :D

Grow up. What stupid posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lads, take the "serves you right" comments elsewhere, they are not wanted here.

Des

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sorry to hear that, must have been pretty scary :(

Some pretty shocking figures there though I must say, €18 in 2 hours. If you're on minimum wage, that leaves 70c for the charity out of which has to come admin and all other fees too, so how much goes to the cause I wonder? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Serves you right

Stupid childish post. OP, try not stay in the one area for too long. Make sure you know what's going on around you, try and remember something about people and see if they are hanging around. Glare at people if you notice them or "make a call" while looking at them. Position yourself outside a cafe or where people can see you. Try not position yourself where there are lots of rat runs and lanes. It's a tough station, some people don't like chuggers and can't seem to smile and say "no thanks" or "not today thanks", they are lacking in confidence or just immature. Is this a last ditch effort at employment? Have you tried the likes of Lemon or other cafes? Less lonely, safer and maybe more fun. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Wow. I am truly disgusted by some of you.

Oddly enough, it's pretty hard to get a job. I had no other options. My grant fell through, I have to live. Obviously certain people were just handed perfect jobs instantly, I've been resoundingly rejected for the last 3 years due to lack of experience, which is is impossible to get without employment. This was my last chance to get some experience and try to get a real job after a couple weeks of this.

Yes I see the irony, but, as I've come to expect, some people are just bastards. And evidently a couple of forementioned c*nts are on Boards. Bravo on the solidarity guys, really. Interestingly, I doubt the junkie with the syringe knew what I was getting paid. Which, by the way, was just 20% commission. And when people asked, I told them. My pride and morals remain intact, thanks very much.

Anyway, I quit today. Thankless job anyway. I really did have a problem doing it, despite the worthiness of the cause. And I've totally lost the confidence I had. But, of course, it 'serves me right' for trying to claw my way out of unemployment.

Do I sound bitter? I wonder why... Thanks for proving the variety of ignorance we have in the country, Relevant and co. I collect for charity, while also trying to save myself from unemployment, so I deserve to get stabbed and contract HIV. Fantastic logic.

Everyone who isn't a bastard, thanks. I sincerely hope this kind of thing, both getting mugged or being so desperate as to take that kind of job, never happens to you. I've found some places that will take me on, without pay, but train me in retail and give me the experience I need to enter the workforce proper. Thabks for the advice and support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Obviously certain people were just handed perfect jobs instantly.

Well, private college no doubt. I was in a pretty similar situation a long time a go Urizen, cycle couriering was my way to pay the bills! (along with some night factory work), it's really dangerous, but really good fun. Again, the coffee shops and cafes, some of them seem to be nice to work in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Jayney-Mack, bad news on the mugging front but ye can be mugged anywhere. I was done on the way up O'Connell St. near the G.P.O. one evening about 10 years ago. Ye get peeved bu ye get over it.
    IF it's any good, at least most of it weren't your' money? I mean that purely on a personal level. Obviously the charity has lost out also. Were you liable for the loss of earnings?
    Not sure what charity you were working for but was there no supervisors around or were you not part of a team?
    I got an interview for
    Fundraising Ireland
    & they said I'd be working in a team no matter who I was working on behalf of. I've seen teams in action around St.Stephens' Green S.c. & outside Clerys.
    As for the job, it's fairly soulless & heartbreaking but at times like this I understand you taking it. It's a transient job but someone's gotta do it. But if you can't tolerate rejection it ain't one I'd choose.
    I'd sooner stay unemployed but peoples' circumstances are different.

Thanks lightening, I'll give the cafes a go again. All rejected me a few months ago, but hopefully things have changed. Christmas coming now, everyone'll be taking on extra staff. Possible opening there.

And no, I wasn't liable, thank Christ. They were just relieved I was ok, apparently this kind of thing has never happened before (not sure QUITE how true this is). My partner was on their break, so I was alone. Actually looking for them when this happened. But, such is life. If I had been liable, I genuinely wouldn't have the money to pay them back anyway.

Yeah, I'm taking unemployment over this for now. I had enough problems doing it in the first place, but it's not worth my life. Doubt anyone reasonable would disagree.

Hopefully things pick up in general, country gets back on its feet and everyone gets jobs again. And maybe the junkie'll OD somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've never chugged, but yeah many years ago I got mugged in broad daylight, busy street... it's quite an experience isn't it?

You hear things like:
    "Oh, I wouldn't go there after dark" or "Stay in a busy area", sure it might save you from being battered for 20 minutes solid, someone will eventually call the cops, but it doesn't take two seconds to get stabbed or jabbed by some human turd... realizing that a street full of people minding their own business is of no help, changes your perspective I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Wtf like a syringe has to be the scariest thing to get treatened with :( I'm sure he couldn't have gotten far you should have gotten a guard...

Not that theyre any help or anything. Bunch of stupid Offaly retards who are laughed at by criminals. :mad: Being in a Garda station reminds me of Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

He must be the scum of the earth to threaten you with a syringe, that really is the lowest of the low :mad:

I hope you're doing ok OP and not too shook up. I know it's a very scary experience and it'll take you a while to get over it :(

It must be really disheartening that not one person came to help you but have faith that there are decent people out there too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Sorry to hear you got mugged. Did you report it to the police ? What did they say ? I think a ban garda was assaulted along there a few months ago trying to make an arrest and likewise a crowd did not intervene, some actually filmed it on their cameras.

• You got mugged by a junkie in broad daylight right in the CITY CENTRE and nobody is at all shocked. Is there anywhere anybody can stand in Dublin city centre anymore without being mugged, harassed and abused? While people just look on and accept it as normal?
    I hate chuggers as much as the next person, but nobody deserves that. At least he was trying to work and the people giving money were choosing to do so. Now he's another person on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Parts of Dublin City Centre have been surrendered to these bottom feeders, the boardwalk area included. To improve this situation would require a dedicated policing approach, with a consistent active presence in the area. More bodies on the streets and less paperwork and arse-scratching. They may need more civilian staff for this, I don't know. The sad thing is resources are likely to be harder to come by than ever.

Plainclothes patrols by some of the more aggressive minded members of An Garda Siochana who are hungry for work and would gain satisfaction from cleaning up the city in an appreciable way would help. They do occasional work undercover in the area but I'm sure it's a drop in the ocean. Many heads need to be cracked many times until they learn to piss off elsewhere. The city centre needs to be policed, not occasionally monitored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Wtf like a syringe has to be the scariest thing to get treatened with :( I'm sure he couldn't have gotten far you should have gotten a guard...

Not that theyre any help or anything. Bunch of stupid Offaly retards who are laughed at by criminals. :mad: Being in a Garda station reminds me of Father Ted.

Eh EXCUSE YOU!!! That's a horrible thing to say! I know a fair few guards personally and I know they're doing their job as best as they can with their resources. You may have had a bad experience with them, but don't put them all in the same box!

And btw, they're not all from Offaly and they're not all retards. I find that extremely offensive.

And OP, I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal. My mother was walking along the boardwalk one day at around 6 o'clock in the evening and a drunk threw a bottle at her head. Luckily she wasn't too badly injured, she just had to get a few stiches. I think we've all learned to avoid that area, I've seen some extremely dodgy stuff going on down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 buzzbomb

lizt wrote: »
    Eh EXCUSE YOU!!! That's a horrible thing to say! I know a fair few guards personally

<SNIP>

And btw, they're not all from Offaly and they're not all retards. I find that extremely offensive.

That suggests that some of them ARE from Offaly and some ARE retards. How many of that variety do you know?!:)

buzzbomb wrote: »
    That suggests that some of them ARE from Offaly and some ARE retards. How many of that variety do you know?!:)

None actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lods wrote: »
    If your a charity mugger theres some poetic justice there.:)
    Jip wrote: »

Des got to you all before me, and obviously while he was in a rare good humour.

I'd have banned you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

Do I sound bitter? I wonder why... Thanks for proving the variety of ignorance we have in the country, Relevant and co. I collect for charity, while also trying to save myself from unemployment, so I deserve to get stabbed and contract HIV. Fantastic logic.

Everyone who isn't a bastard, thanks. I sincerely hope this kind of thing, both getting mugged or being so desperate as to take that kind of job, never happens to you. I've found some places that will take me on, without pay, but train me in retail and give me the experience I need to enter the workforce proper. Thabks for the advice and support.
    Had i said "it would serve you right to get stabbed or get HIV" i would agree, however i didnt say that so please don't put words in my mouth.

Also don't call me a bastard.

Relavant - Maybe I was harsh, but prove me wrong. You came off as an ignorant, incredibly insensitive prick there, by saying I deserved that. I wouldn't think anyone deserves it, no matter what they're doing as a job.

Everyone else - Thanks again for the support. It's a disgrace that this kind of thing happens in general. We seriously need to clean up this city. Though a guy driving by, after this happened, shouted out at me 'Did he rob you?' After I replied yes, he offered to run him over! Which was unrealistic considering the traffic, but nice in it's own useless way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Thanks lightening, I'll give the cafes a go again. All rejected me a few months ago, but hopefully things have changed. Christmas coming now, everyone'll be taking on extra staff. Possible opening there.

And no, I wasn't liable, thank Christ. They were just relieved I was ok, apparently this kind of thing has never happened before (not sure QUITE how true this is). My partner was on their break, so I was alone. Actually looking for them when this happened. But, such is life. If I had been liable, I genuinely wouldn't have the money to pay them back anyway.

Yeah, I'm taking unemployment over this for now. I had enough problems doing it in the first place, but it's not worth my life. Doubt anyone reasonable would disagree.

Hopefully things pick up in general, country gets back on its feet and everyone gets jobs again. And maybe the junkie'll OD somewhere...

I've never heard of the charity workers being robbed but you'd have to assume it could happen. Especially given the number of junkies around. Thankfully you're okay as it's not a nice experience.

I was held up at the ATM at Cornmarket before with a syringe, I waved the money in his face as I backed away. Then once I was arms length away I just told him to go **** himself, put my money into my pocket and headed off. Some of these lads are not the brightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Had i said "it would serve you right to get stabbed or get HIV" i would agree, however i didnt say that so please don't put words in my mouth.

Also don't call me a bastard.

Stop whinging, your not the victim here.

Guys the thread is closed.

OP, I genuinely hope you recover quickly from this. Thankful I've never been the victim of street crime so I can't completely understand how frightening the experience has been for you.

But I can try of course.

Sorry I have to close the thread, but I'm sure you can understand.

If you want to get anything else off your shoulders about the experience don't be afraid to post in the Personal Issue's forum, there are some incredibly supportive & understanding members over there who won't stand in judgement like some have shamelessly done here.

I'm sorry, its rare that someone makes me feel ashamed of this forum - but some people in this thread have really posted from the gutter - their cards have been marked and one more indescretion and they'll be permanently banned from here.

Take care OP.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement