Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best point and click adventure games for the PC

Options
  • 22-09-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

What are the best point and click adventure games for the PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Lucas Arts Games - Monkey Island Seriers , Grim Fandango, Full Throttle
    and I'm aslo partial to a bit of Broken Sword (series) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Lucas Arts Games - Monkey Island Seriers , Grim Fandango, Full Throttle
    and I'm aslo partial to a bit of Broken Sword (series) :D

This.

Monkey Island 1-3 especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

are theere any newer titles than those that are good

There was a brand new Monkey Island released just recently but really when anyone talks point and click there talking retro. Actually, check out, On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness. Excuse the spelling. I know it's available through Steam on PC and through Xbox live. I haven't played it but I've heard very good things. I've been considering getting it myself.

Edit: http://www.rainslick.com/thegame
    Check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You's should all be ashamed for not mentioning Sam and Max or Day of the Tentacle. Beneath a Steel Sky is also excellent and best of all, it's free now. You can get it free from good old games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nothing will ever top Beneath a Steal Sky for me. Can't wait for the iPhone release.

For me it's Monkey Island 1 and 2. The 3rd one was brilliant, but nothing compared to the previous 2, and the 4th should be avoided at all costs.

Grim Fandango is amazing. Great story, fantastic animation, gripping sequences and a brilliant soundtrack. Day of the Tentacle is another firm favourite for me. Simon the Sorcerer (1+2) earn an honourable mention.

As the old sayings go, they really don't make them like they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Always had a soft spot for Loom too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which is also free on good old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's not many new games that are really a patch on the old lucasart games. I don't think even the new Monkey Island game is that close to them.

The only ones that I've felt were any good that are recent enough are Still Life and Still Life 2. They're not brilliant, but I think they've got great plots and are fairly well written.

And, even though it's not really a point and click game, Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened was pretty good and fairly f*cked up too.

Oh, and I almost forgot, as well as the Lucasarts games, there's also the Gabrial Knight games. They're some of the best adventure games you can play.

There's a company called The Adventure Company (not to be confused with the adventure holiday company of the same name), that has loads of different types of independent adventure games that are worth a look.

• Advertisement

I heard a game called the Longest journey was one of the best of these type

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yeah, The Longest Journey is good. The sequel (Dreamfall) is enjoyable too, but it's not point and click. You can get both in GAME for €20. Nice art book and soundtrack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

As the old sayings go, they really don't make them like they used to.

True that !1

Its why they RE-make them :) like Monkey Island. Maybe theyll start doing the rest :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, The Longest Journey is good. The sequel (Dreamfall) is enjoyable too, but it's not point and click. You can get both in GAME for €20. Nice art book and soundtrack too.

Great collector's edition to pick up. Two extremely interesting games (although never finished The Longest Journey) with fascinating stories which are a nice departure from the gaming norm.

Playing the Secret of Monkey Island SE Ipod now and loving it, even if the controls are a bit wonky. One of the funniest games I've played (well, Tim Schafer was involved) plus pirates. Definitely worth picking up on PC I'd say.

Point and click games are one genre I've always liked on one hand (easily some of the best game stories are in point 'n clicks) but also frustrate the hell out of me when I get to the inevitable obtuse and logic bursting puzzle. They pretty much all have one, and one day I dream of getting past one without consulting gamefaqs :o (failed already on Monkey Island, mainly because the small Ipod screen meant it wasn't easy to spot a loose plank, and harder to move to)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

My fiancee loves the longest journey always going on about it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Shryke wrote: »
    Actually, check out, On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness. Excuse the spelling. I know it's available through Steam on PC and through Xbox live. I haven't played it but I've heard very good things. I've been considering getting it myself.

Edit: http://www.rainslick.com/thegame
    Check it out.
    That looks like an RPG to me rather than a point and click adventure game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

DarkSeed.

Old game but absolutely fantastic.

Disc word is the most frustrating impossible point and click game ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/

An excellent game made by a well known game reviewer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My vote goes to the Monkey Island series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,301 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Blade Runner

And Stargate SG-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I liked diskworld noir

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Overheal wrote: »
    Blade Runner
    I got that and the VHS bundled together for £5. One of the best fivers I ever spent!

That looks like an RPG to me rather than a point and click adventure game.

It's more or less a point and click RPG adventure game. Swallow it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,301 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And Cyberia, Myst, Maubus (sp?) - All great. Even though I suck at them.

Advertisement