Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-129,Atlantis - 12/11/09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

LL,Great stuff! Your Youtube Video and the photo-bucket pics{I DID put them on slideshow:)}gotta say i Loved the pics of the fallen 'hero's plaques and the lift-off pics:),gave a real sense of being there,as did Your 'real time' posts here Yesterday,Fair play to You,Ya kept your word that You would stay in touch if You could on boards:),You have proably figured that any other pics of the day would be more than welcome!!!

God now there is TWO members of the 'been there,got the T-shirt on the Space&Astronomy forum:eek:, the smugness might get UNBEARABLE!!!!:D:D:D.

I asked this Yesterday but got no reply in the heat of the moment(s)
    Did nobody notice that the Camera that was mounted on the external tank of 129 showed no foam falling? unlike 128 that showed quite a lot of(small)pieces?????? AFIK the camera was in the same place for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Stargate wrote: »
    Bet you now when you get to see her pass over , it will feel really special to you , a little different maybe than before :P

I didn't hear the audio after lift-off until last night but probably the saddest thing i ever heard was "Atlantis embarks on her penultimate mission" or words to that effect.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ynotdu wrote: »
    Did nobody notice that the Camera that was mounted on the external tank of 129 showed no foam falling? unlike 128 that showed quite a lot of(small)pieces?????? AFIK the camera was in the same place for both.

I thought that too,

Saw nothing.

God now there is TWO members of the 'been there,got the T-shirt on the Space&Astronomy forum:eek:, the smugness might get UNBEARABLE!!!!:D:D:D.

001.jpg
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Malty_T wrote: »
    I thought that too,

Saw nothing.

Ascent looked perfect from all the videos i've seen of it.

• Advertisement

LL,Great stuff! Your Youtube Video and the photo-bucket pics{I DID put them on slideshow:)}gotta say i Loved the pics of the fallen 'hero's plaques and the lift-off pics:),gave a real sense of being there,as did Your 'real time' posts here Yesterday,Fair play to You,Ya kept your word that You would stay in touch if You could on boards:)

I didn't plan on posting once i was there but i noticed i'd a good 3g signal on my phone so i figured i'd give it a go. Thought it might add to the excitement of pre-launch. I had the wife get "spaceflight now" on the PC at home and txt me updates. She has no interest in spaceflight but even she got really excited about about the updates!:D

Malty_T wrote: »
    I thought that too,

Saw nothing.

It could be down to so many factors I guess,128 having diffrient lighting on it compared to 128,saw NASA tv coverage for a while today of the tile inspection,really would have to be an expert to analysise minor damage,but i'm not kidding that was about the cleanest launch i've ever seen from nasa cameras{made Me wonder AGAIN should they be fully retired:)}

It could be down to so many factors I guess,128 having diffrient lighting on it compared to 128,saw NASA tv coverage for a while today of the tile inspection,really would have to be an expert to analysise minor damage,but i'm not kidding that was about the cleanest launch i've ever seen from nasa cameras{made Me wonder AGAIN should they be fully retired:)}

All the plug tests they done on the ET for STS-129 came back really positive,the STS-128 tank ended up with nearly 200 plug tests cause the results showed various anomolies on different parts of the tank.

I caught a bit of a speech by Jon McBride (STS-41G) in the rocket garden and he was vociferous about extending the programme or at least spreading out the remaining manifest over a couple of years. He argued that NASA will lose a lot of great people when the STS programme concludes and that many won't return. Given how well the processing went for Atlantis went i can see his point,these people care for what they do,the orbiters are almost like their children. Given the passion with which McBride spoke he convinced me!!

lord lucan wrote: »
    001.jpg

Fcuk You! Lol lol,jeez gotta be careful everything ya say here:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

001.jpg

*Throws Up*:(

• Advertisement

Fcuk You! Lol lol,jeez gotta be careful everything ya say here:D:D:D

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:

All the plug tests they done on the ET for STS-129 came back really positive,the STS-128 tank ended up with nearly 200 plug tests cause the results showed various anomolies on different parts of the tank.

I caught a bit of a speech by Jon McBride (STS-41G) in the rocket garden and he was vociferous about extending the programme or at least spreading out the remaining manifest over a couple of years. He argued that NASA will lose a lot of great people when the STS programme concludes and that many won't return. Given how well the processing went for Atlantis went i can see his point,these people care for what they do,the orbiters are almost like their children. Given the passion with which McBride spoke he convinced me!!

Bet they could even get Enterprise to try a 'real' flight:),get Enterprise outta the Museaum I SAY!:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Oh Beeker Stargut is on to us Love,I have not had a chance to review whats been posted since i logged off last night so when i can i will do the thank you's and watch the vids&pics!

Until then Beeker,ALL My Love pet.xxxxxx

Settle down boys:D
    I'll have to dump the wife with all the love i'm getting here:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Stargate wrote: »
    Just saw iss , anyone esle??

By the way , i posted this before
    http://www.zarya.info/Frequencies/FrequenciesISS.php

its a list of scanner frequencies for the iss when passing over etc

Might be of interest for anyone who missed it !!

Cloud cover here:(

Bet they could even get Enterprise to try a 'real' flight:),get Enterprise outta the Museaum I SAY!:)

Funny thing is iirc the Orbiters were rated for 100 missions each so in theory they still have plenty left in them.

jumpguy wrote: »
    :eek: Are they to scale?

Yep,they are. The shuttle Explorer has most of the mid-deck and payload bay cut out iirc.

I didn't here the audio after lift-off until last night but probably the saddest thing i ever heard was "Atlantis embarks on her penultimate mission" or words to that effect.:(

Yeah I heard that too and it made my heart twist:( Only 5 to go!

Docking at 16:56 tomorrow.

There WAS and it was named after the 'Starship Enterprise'Ala Trekkies who bombarded NASA to name it so.It never flew into space{too heavy and other flaws}It never got further than this{talk about early retirement:eek:}

Yep,they are. The shuttle Explorer has most of the mid-deck and payload bay cut out iirc.

The interesting think is that the explorer has real unused shuttle tiles. Ant the large tank and boosters are real. Tank obviously was never flown but the boosters are real flight hardware that have been retires.

Yeah poor old Enterprise was only a test vehicle to test the gliding element of the orbiter,never got to fly properly.

• Advertisement

Oh Beeker Stargut is on to us Love

Stargut!!:D:D:D:D:D

Beeker wrote: »
    Yeah I heard that too and it made my heart twist:( Only 5 to go!

Docking at 16:56 tomorrow.

I heard a lot of conversations by people who now think that ending the STS programme is a bad move. I think that with only 5 more launches left it's made people take notice now. McBride was urging everyone there to get onto their congressman/woman and request more funding!:)

I heard a lot of conversations by people who now think that ending the STS programme is a bad move. I think that with only 5 more launches left it's made people take notice now. McBride was urging everyone there to get onto their congressman/woman and request more funding!:)
    Good for him. I Met him myself last year at Kennedy after the launch. He gave a great speech about the history of the STS.

I have a bad feeling in my own gut!:D

Yeah poor old Enterprise was only a test vehicle to test the gliding element of the orbiter,never got to fly properly.
    It was too heavy and would have cost too much to convery it for flight. Thats haw Challenger got to fly. Challenger was never intended to fly. It was a ground test vehicle but it was cheaper to convert it to flight status than Enterprise, so as they say the rest is history:)

Beeker wrote: »
    Good for him. I Met him myself last year at Kennedy after the launch. He gave a great speech about the history of the STS.

He asked the kids to come forward with questions. 2nd kid up asked if they could launch a shuttle every day. The crowd gave him the biggest cheer he'll ever get in his life.

On a side note,Robert Satcher had huge support for the launch. I reckon there were at least 100 family/friends there with t-shirts with Atlantis on the front and "Satcher- Support Crew" on the back.

Twiddles fingers whilst the two who have seen a Launch converse:(:(:(

any t-shirts saying fcuk Augustine?:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

LoL now now Leo ;) behave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

any t-shirts saying fcuk Augustine?:D

haha Ask LL to get ya one ynotdu , he has some pull in and around Florida now ;)

Advertisement