Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-129,Atlantis - 12/11/09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'll be the first man to set foot on Mars soon. But it's a secret mission. This is my way of communicating home. Hence my replies are always on average 4 minutes late...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'll be the first man to set foot on Mars soon. But it's a secret mission. This is my way of communicating home. Hence my replies are always on average 4 minutes late...

HaHa Jumpguy , not secret anymore :D how much would i get from the indo for an exclusive :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Another great launch vid on youtube,sounds like they're part of the Satcher cheerleading group i mentioned earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Stargate wrote: »
    Is Lord Beeker gone off having another bottle of wine in celebration of the docking :D
    I wish, got called in for work so could not use the forum but had NASA TV on.
    Wonder what NASA top hes wearing hehehe ;):p
    My STS-126 Black t-shirt:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I have to say the KSC photographers out did themselves for the launch of STS 129. These are some of the best images I have ever seen of a launch. {Outside of LL of course:)}

Here is one exampe you can see the rest over 4 pages here.http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm?cat=204

20096359m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

And this is a camera phone snap of LL as he looked after Launch,beetlejuice1.jpg

jumpguy wrote: »

Hopefully You can give poor little spirit a nudge:(Its prognosis is almost hopeless:(:)

ynotdu wrote: »
    And this is a camera phone snap of LL as he looked after Launch,beetlejuice1.jpg

Not too far from the truth tbh!!:)

Hopefully You can give poor little spirit a nudge:(Its prognosis is almost hopeless:(:)
    Don't give up...there still hope...:)

Michael Foreman and Robert Satcher suiting up for first spacewalk, starting soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Jeebus! I love this thread. Haven't stopped laughing since I spotted the above.:D:D:D:D

hi All terrible weather

Just off topic , after last nites game im gutted today :mad::(

if you need a laugh have a look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty5vgjMOsAI

ynotdu you will love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

hi All terrible weather [URL="http://"][/URL]

Looks as if I will have to fire the choreographer Stargate-mixed up the sundance with the raindance...i knew all that ass waggin wasn't right:D

Never get tired of watching the EVA's,they make it look so easy!:)

hi All terrible weather

Just off topic , after last nites game im gutted today :mad::(

if you need a laugh have a look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty5vgjMOsAI

ynotdu you will love it :D

Oh Really Stargut,YOU are Gutted? Ya should have been around some of the people I was around last night for the match:eek:
    That Youtube guy is mild by comparison to them:D
    I Like his 'BURN' at the end though!:D

Watched/watching some of todays spacewalk ,but again the use of the S-band so often does make it a bit like watching paint dry:(

BTW it was the Republic of Ireland playing so Why would You from the self declared 'Peoples Republic of Cork' be bovered:confused::)

whatever peoples politics the truth is most were only looking for a 31 County state as Yiz Corkie's are 'known troublemakers':D:D:D

fifilarue wrote: »
    Looks as if I will have to fire the choreographer Stargate-mixed up the sundance with the raindance...i knew all that ass waggin wasn't right:D

fifilarue , LOL it sure is working , the rain in Cork today plus the traffic , unreal :P . Maybe you could try again tomorrow No hope of spotting SS/ISS or Leoinds :eek: Hope the cloud clears over the next couple of days fifilarue .

Oh Really Stargut,YOU are Gutted? Ya should have been around some of the people I was around last night for the match:eek:
    That Youtube guy is mild by comparison to them:D
    I Like his 'BURN' at the end though!:D

Watched/watching some of todays spacewalk ,but again the use of the S-band so often does make it a bit like watching paint dry:(

BTW it was the Republic of Ireland playing so Why would You from the self declared 'Peoples Republic of Cork' be bovered:confused::)

whatever peoples politics the truth is most were only looking for a 31 County state as Yiz Corkie's are 'known troublemakers':D:D:D

Yea that was funny , and where he says ............." Lino`s on fire " cracked me up , am gutted by last nites game , it has knocked the wind out of sails , phew , not long in so must try see a bit of NASA TV and catchup .

Miserable wet windy day , whats the forecast like ?? suppose no point in asking , its ALWAYS raining here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm ok with the rain, as long as I've got me internetz to watch NASA and the like.:)

Spacewalk over TWO hours ahead of schedule,the spare time if it continues they will use for 'get ahead' tasks.

Guess they had to fib a bit when they were looking for extra funding over a year ago!;):)

Astronauts are awesome!!!

Sometimes, I forget the risk they take and what they've accomplished for us.

Also, they make it look SO easy.:)

• Advertisement

Malty_T wrote: »
    Astronauts are awesome!!!

Sometimes, I forget the risk they take and what they've accomplished for us.

Also, they make it look SO easy.:)

Yeah Malty they ARE!!:)

There are no Rookie Astronauts left at NASA,You proably have read at least the main points of the 'Augustine report' commisioned by Obama?
    latest rumour is Obama will announce what options he has chosen around thanksgiving,but the rumours have been wrong so often:(....................

as it stands, The ISS is due for retirement in 2015{and it's not even completed yet:eek:}

If Ares gets the go ahead NASA say it wont be able to fly until 2016/17,so if the Shuttle retires on Schedule and Ares is not available then the 'heavy lifting' needed if the ISS gets a reprieve will not be available:(

Augustine actually does offer some interesting ideas for the interim,but using modified existing launch vehicles to land people on asteroids etc,but nothing is on the table to salvage the ISS before 2016,and Hubble seems to be a total gonner long term:(

Augustine also wants private companies to join in,proably nescessary but the whole ethos and expertise of NASA will be gone by then:(

Lets hope Barack comes up with some ingenious solution to the mess Bush left behind.

Great to see that the minor failure on one of the STS-128 EVA,s{an electrical connection that could not be 'mated'} has been corrected in preperation for a module STS-130 will be delivering!!! :D

Both crews were awoken in the early hours this morning by a depressurisation alarm which in turn led to the activation of a smoke alarm,both false but a scary way to be woken up in such an enviroment!!

lord lucan wrote: »
    Both crews were awoken in the early hours this morning by a depressurisation alarm which in turn led to the activation of a smoke alarm,both false but a scary way to be woken up in such an enviroment!!

Interesting LL,I have always wondered about that.NASA insist on Astronauts taking sleeping tablets to get them into the 'time zone' that suits the flight.Both crews are usually Scheduled to sleep at the same time.I can understand it for operational reasons,but is'nt it dangerous?and even without an emergency surely it leaves them drowsy?

I guess they know what they are doing but it does seem a bit of a risk?

Interesting LL,I have always wondered about that.NASA insist on Astronauts taking sleeping tablets to get them into the 'time zone' that suits the flight.Both crews are usually Scheduled to sleep at the same time.I can understand it for operational reasons,but is'nt it dangerous?and even without an emergency surely it leaves them drowsy?

I guess they know what they are doing but it does seem a bit of a risk?

They probably have some adrenaline like shot or something for emergencies that wakes them.

Malty_T wrote: »
    They probably have some adrenaline like shot or something for emergencies that wakes them.

must be something!
    I DO know they (Shuttle or Station) have no way to over-ride com from the ground.
    I once heard the 'wake-up call{which as You proably know is usualy a song)It was SO funny to hear the Commanders voice back to Heuston.
    He sounded as if he had drank about 12 drinks and smoked 30 Cigs the night before(not kidding)I think it was on STS-128 for its first landing day opportunity,It was his daughters birthday and She was at mission control for Daddy:)

This was one of the best wake up calls on a previous mission on the day it was to undock from the ISS and once again become a 'free bird'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

STS-129 Launch in HD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJpUCWfyPE

I highly doubt the crew have ground-controlled adrenaline shots. How on Earth would that work? Unless you mean they themselves inject themselves with adrenaline.

I'm sure the astronauts probably get used to the ISS sleeping pattern whilst on Earth in the week running up to the mission...it'd save them alot of bother anyway. They go to bed later than you might think - about 9 or 10. I'm pretty sure they're all tired after so much work anyway - especially those doing the EVA.

Jumpguy,NASA has a long tradition of ordering Astronauts to take sleeping pills and insisted on it in the days of Apollo,What NASA Surgeons do NOW i do not know but I have read most of the Apollo/Gemini/Mercury Astronauts Bio's and in the Apollo days at least ,an Astronaut could not refuse(and flight surgeons could tell anyway:))

Regarding an Andrenalin shot via MC,I have not a clue of the facts there.

I know that neither the ISS or SS Astronauts CANNOT disable audio from the ground for a needed emergency/wake-up call.{why would they want to anyway?:)}

Oh and Yes of course You are right that the Astronauts are trained into the sleeping pattern they need for the Mission,but it does not always work out that way for them once in Space.

One fact i am sure of is that Armstrong and Aldrin were supposed to have a sleep once Eagle was secure,how crazy was that?expecting a crew to go asleep after being the first humans to land on another body :)

I once heard the 'wake-up call{which as You proably know is usualy a song)It was SO funny to hear the Commanders voice back to Heuston.

Must've been the 08.30 STS to Cork!:D

They usually put the Astronauts on the ISS pattern before launch,apparently this morning they hadn't gone into a deep sleep so it wasn't too big a deal.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Must've been the 08.30 STS to Cork!:D

They usually put the Astronauts on the ISS pattern before launch,apparently this morning they hadn't gone into a deep sleep so it wasn't too big a deal.

LL You Jealous that I have been to Heuston station at 08.30 in the morning:D

and see what ya started?troublemaker:)

Advertisement