Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-129,Atlantis - 12/11/09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Sleeping in Space

cao_dormir01.jpg
    CSA Astronaut Bjarni V. Tryggvason sleeps
    on the Space Shuttle Discovery's mid-deck
    floor. Image courtesy of NASA.

The best thing about sleeping in space is that you can do it anywhere. Due to the microgravity environment, sleeping on the floor is just as comfortable as sleeping on the wall, and astronauts don't require a mattress. Still, 45 percent of all medications used by space shuttle crews are sleeping pills.
    http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/astronauts/living_sleeping.asp

Quote and link to Canadas Space Agencies officiol website;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ynotdu wrote: »
    LL You Jealous that I have been to Heuston station at 08.30 in the morning:D

Yep,green with envy!!:p

lord lucan wrote: »
    Yep,green with envy!!:p

Lol,So long as I can be Jealous of Your experiance,It's a deal!:)

You back in Ireland and would You recommend it to us as a Goal to save for as a holiday before 'she' finishs

Might be too personal to ask but what kind of euro.s would i be talking about to get to KSC for a launch next year approx{willing to do it with no frills and would even camp out:)}

understand if ya dont want to answer{even a 'ballpark' figure be appreciated}PM if You like.

I've been forced onto a double shift today and got to say Buzzed again at Your photobucket pics,there shaggin GREAT!!!!!!!:):):)

Lol,So long as I can be Jealous of Your experiance,It's a deal!:)

You back in Ireland and would You recommend it to us as a Goal to save for as a holiday before 'she' finishs

Might be too personal to ask but what kind of euro.s would i be talking about to get to KSC for a launch next year approx{willing to do it with no frills and would even camp out:)}

understand if ya dont want to answer{even a 'ballpark' figure be appreciated}PM if You like.

I've been forced onto a double shift today and got to say Buzzed again at Your photobucket pics,there shaggin GREAT!!!!!!!:):):)

I would recommend it to any fan of spaceflight. I'm still keep looking at the pics to see if it really happened. I watched probably a thousand videos of launches from KSC on youtube and none capture the experience the way i felt it.

2 things really: A) The suspense. Will she go or will weather/technical glitch force a scrub. I only believed it would happen when polling came back with a go. B) The sight with your own eyes and the sounds of an Orbiter screaming into space and the rumble in your chest,unbelievable!!

The biggest thing you need imo for attending a launch is luck. That was my 3rd attempt at one(3rd time lucky?!!). The first attempt last november cost me a good few quid and a lot of brownie points with mrs. Lucan!! The second attempt in August failed due to Endeavour taking an age to go on STS-127. I was beginning to think that it wouldn't happen.

The best thing you could do would be,if possible,would be to take a weeks holiday in florida,arrive in the day before launch so as to give you almost a week long window to increase your chances.

As to cost,it depends really. I got my flights pretty cheap,booked far enough ahead to get a good deal. I did have to rearrange an internal flight but only got a €50 penalty so it wasn't too bad. You could try arrange buying tickets from NASA when they go on sale about a month before launch but it's near impossible to get them for the causeway. I booked a tour with Gator tours,it cost $115,that included admission to the visitor centre(for 2 days) and a launch viewing ticket for the NASA causeway. It also included pick up by coach from Orlando. I couldn't praise this option enough. All i had to do was turn up,they took care of everything.

You could get a cheap enough hotel in Orlando depending on when you go. The summer months are busiest there when the nippers are off school and hence the most expensive. Orlando was very quiet when i was there. Problem there is the last STS mission is slated to be next september so the last 2/3 will be very heavily subscribed.

Oh and i am back btw. I'm just messing about editing a couple of pics. Which is better iyo? The first is the original that i posted in this thread,the second is the same one with a bit of work on colour and contrast.

115JPG1.jpg

1152.jpg

• Advertisement

Cheers for that answer LL,Much appreciated You and Beekers patience over 127/8& now 129,the 3 flights i was a member of boards for:).
    I've only had a computor for 3&half years,but had the interest all along on the STS.I had to depend on page 154 of Ceefax ,Tech news,that might or might not update shuttle news:) and then pray that Sky news was having a slow news day and would bother to show the Launch:)

as I said You promised to do what You could to stay in touch with Boards as much as You could and ya did{made it EXTRA special}TY!:)

I will proably be wrong again:)but IMO NASA wont manage the scheduled 5 remaining in 2010:)

Call Me stupid but i prefer the raw one, because I can see others on the internet,but nothing like one taken by someone in a sense we have got to know!

However if it was Me and I was 'framing' them i would use the second.

I will proably be wrong again:)but IMO NASA wont manage the scheduled 5 remaining in 2010:)

It's always possible that they're allowed extend the manifest through 2011 in order to shorten the lag between STS and Ares. I'm not sure if that's not just dragging it out a bit though.

Call Me stupid but i prefer the raw one, because I can see others on the internet,but nothing like one taken by someone in a sense we have got to know!

However if it was Me and I was 'framing' them i would use the second.

Yeah,the first one is much more like how it looked "in real life" so to speak. I may mess about with a few but i don't want to change the character of them or turn them into something differing from what i saw.

And you're not stupid!:p

It's always possible that they're allowed extend the manifest through 2011 in order to shorten the lag between STS and Ares. I'm not sure if that's not just dragging it out a bit though.

even at the 'best' of times it seemed they rarely managed to get 5 off in a year(dont have the stats without a search)2009 they only got four off,proably I am living in hope but for no Logical reason i think there will be a Launch in 2011.

Obama(for god sake will he announce his deciscions)has told them not to 'rush' but to put safety first and promised funding up to 134 however long it takes.I am not trying to be funny but once USA is totally dependant on Soyuz,Astronauts will be Cosmonauts.That kind of humiliation surely is 'concentrating' minds,as well as the hugh amount of NASA/Subbies that are heading for lay-off(and paying no tax)

Hope Obama finds a way to keep them at work at SOMETHING,So much expertise...........

If all goes as we have been told it will KSC will be a piece of wasteground for about 10 years:mad:

Too true,KSC would essentially become a glorified theme park. I think people are starting to think more about the ramifications of relying on the Russians for the next few years. There's nothing like a dent to national pride to stir the emotions!

• Advertisement

Too true,KSC would essentially become a glorified theme park. I think people are starting to think more about the ramifications of relying on the Russians for the next few years. There's nothing like a dent to national pride to stir the emotions!

and Putin will without a doubt be President again,and has shown with the Oil pipelines that he is more than willing to use blackmail to get his way!
    Sally Ride saw it coming,I would hate to be an Astronaut with no way home that was'nt an American craft!:eek::)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Welcome home LL! For the record I prefer the first image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Spotted herself tonight at 18.49 moving in and out of clouds-lovely sight. Second treat for me tonight as In the Shadow of the Moon on tv at the moment. I wonder if it's too late to become an astronaut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

fifilarue wrote: »
    Spotted herself tonight at 18.49 moving in and out of clouds-lovely sight. Second treat for me tonight as In the Shadow of the Moon on tv at the moment. I wonder if it's too late to become an astronaut?

fifilarue :p at 18:49 it is not too late for you to become an astronaut :D
    Specially when you can do a sunshine/raindance all in one LOL :D

Its very late 4.42am , way too late for me to become an astronot :eek:

Did you enjoy " In the shadow of the moon " ?

Nite, Stargate .

Must've been the 08.30 STS to Cork!:D

They usually put the Astronauts on the ISS pattern before launch,apparently this morning they hadn't gone into a deep sleep so it wasn't too big a deal.

LL Hey Leo

just one thing to say to you bouy ...............>

WELCOME HOME LEOOOOOOOOOOOO hahaha :pac::cool::P:rolleyes::):D;):p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

STS-129 Astronaut Randolph Bresnik, became a father for a second time when baby Abigail was born back home in Houston, Texas.
    The 42-year-old Marine and his crewmates were awoken on Sunday by the song Butterfly Kisses, especially chosen by his wife, Rebecca.
    Among the lyrics are the lines: "There's two things I know for sure, she was sent here from heaven and she's daddy's little girl." :)

Ah now, hows that for a nice littel story!

Stargate wrote: »
    fifilarue :p at 18:49 it is not too late for you to become an astronaut :D
    Specially when you can do a sunshine/raindance all in one LOL :D

Its very late 4.42am , way too late for me to become an astronot :eek:

Did you enjoy " In the shadow of the moon " ?

Nite, Stargate .

Hiya Stargate :D:D...loved every second of it and didn't want it to end! What an amazing time to be alive. I don't know which part I loved most but Edgar Mitchell talking about the moment he realised he was one with the universe was fairly memorable..and the look of pure joy and wonder on Buzz Aldrin's face when he was back on board...Mike Collins-what a beautiful man...God almighty, even thinking about some of it now makes me feel all warm and happy inside-just to think that there are such good and brave people in the world......but how in the name of bejeebus did they take off on that lunar yoke...there's more tinfoil around the turkey at Christmas...:eek::eek:

how in the name of bejeebus did they take off on that lunar yoke...there's more tinfoil around the turkey at Christmas...:eek::eek:
    :D:D:D

Beeker wrote: »
    STS-129 Astronaut Randolph Bresnik, became a father for a second time when baby Abigail was born back home in Houston, Texas.
    The 42-year-old Marine and his crewmates were awoken on Sunday by the song Butterfly Kisses, especially chosen by his wife, Rebecca.
    Among the lyrics are the lines: "There's two things I know for sure, she was sent here from heaven and she's daddy's little girl." :)

Ah now, hows that for a nice littel story!

Should've called her Atlantis!:D:D

Hiya Stargate :D:D...loved every second of it and didn't want it to end! What an amazing time to be alive. I don't know which part I loved most but Edgar Mitchell talking about the moment he realised he was one with the universe was fairly memorable..and the look of pure joy and wonder on Buzz Aldrin's face when he was back on board...Mike Collins-what a beautiful man...God almighty, even thinking about some of it now makes me feel all warm and happy inside-just to think that there are such good and brave people in the world......but how in the name of bejeebus did they take off on that lunar yoke...there's more tinfoil around the turkey at Christmas...:eek::eek:

LoL , ha Beeker has wine with his Turkey dressed up in his Nasa Hoodie :P
    and saves the tinfoil for his STS models in the attic :eek:

• Advertisement

LoL , ha Beeker has wine with his Turkey dressed up in his Nasa Hoodie :P
    and saves the tinfoil for his STS models in the attic :eek:

:D Hey are you spying on me...............:D

Beeker wrote: »
    :D Hey are you spying on me...............:D

Nope Beeker aint me :p , maybe CIA , FBI , RTE who knows ?? but the local arts people are wondering whos that fella in Tescos everyday buying crates of wine and rolls of tinfoil dressed like some guy from the film..... " The Right Suff " :cool:

29 Minutes of Launch goodness from various cameras at KSC.

Nope Beeker aint me :p , maybe CIA , FBI , RTE who knows ?? but the local arts people are wondering whos that fella in Tescos everyday buying crates of wine and rolls of tinfoil dressed like some guy from the film..... " The Right Suff " :cool:

:D:D:D:D

Satcher and Bresnik are suited up for EVA 3,a bit delayed now due to an issue with Satchers suit.

beckastroLL03_500x666.jpg

Nice clear view of Atlantis and ISS passing over west dublin a few minutes ago,great stuff!:)

Nice clear view of Atlantis and ISS passing over west dublin a few minutes ago,great stuff!:)

Ah NASA changed orbits as a tribute to me!!!

I did,nt know they cared:D

Some fantastic Spacewalk Live video came in today.Great Stuff!

I suppose if ever a Father had empathy for his new born it would be Resnick,floating around helpless in space just like his daughter has been for nine months:D

Ah NASA changed orbits as a tribute to me!!!

I did,nt know they cared:D

I had a word with them last week!;)

• Advertisement

I had a word with them last week!;)

Jeez if you have THAT much 'pull' at NASA make sure ya get them to be in range of the tracking satelites for undocking and over daylight!

Also that they land on schedule first day,first opportunity.

Such a bunch of Wooseys compared to Apollo 12 Launching during a thunderstorm:pac::pac::)

Advertisement