Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-129,Atlantis - 12/11/09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Will be watching the show tomorrow (hopefully). TBH, I don't see how "catastophic" failure wouldn't put the STS in danger. If it exploded at a considerable altitude, and debris rained on the pad, it's put it in serious danger, would it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

jumpguy wrote: »
    Will be watching the show tomorrow (hopefully). TBH, I don't see how "catastophic" failure wouldn't put the STS in danger. If it exploded at a considerable altitude, and debris rained on the pad, it's put it in serious danger, would it not?

NASA say pad 39A is just out of reach of falling debris,at this stage I will believe what i see!:D{Well obama has just received the commisions report about nasa,s future,in the meantime he,s been busy trying to make Afghanistan have a run-off election}

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ynotdu wrote: »
    So LL are you still heading over on the 10th and will You be able to post?
    I am only using NASA,s own Statistics that 40% of first time launch,s fail{usually in explosion:D}

I'm waiting on the launch window to be confirmed on thursday. If that 3 day window is a go i won't head until the 12th,probably fly home the 19th.

The stats on launches are poor alright,i'm just hoping a 3 day window is enough to shorten the odds for me.:)

Oh and i will have my laptop with me so i'll be able to post,have to be able to keep myself up to date with what's going on.

Here's STS-129's press kit:http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/397216main_sts129_presskit.pdf

FRR was concluded about an hour ago. Official launch date has been fixed for November 16th at 14.28 EDT(19.28 Irish time). It could be pushed back a day to the 17th if the Atlas rocket due to launch fails to launch on the 14th. Looks like a 4 day window at a stretch,i can manage the 16/17/18th,have to head back on the 19th so here's hoping she gets away on time!!

• Advertisement

Is 19:28 taking account for DST?

If so, that's great! It should be (open to correction, of course) be visible in Ireland. If it was 18:28 it'd be great, there'd be a longer pass before it enters the shadow. :D

Is 19:28 taking account for DST?

If so, that's great! It should be (open to correction, of course) be visible in Ireland. If it was 18:28 it'd be great, there'd be a longer pass before it enters the shadow. :D

The US clocks go back next week so we'll be back to a 5 hour difference with the east coast so it'll be a 19.28 launch here.

lord lucan wrote: »
    FRR was concluded about an hour ago. Official launch date has been fixed for November 16th at 14.28 EDT(19.28 Irish time). It could be pushed back a day to the 17th if the Atlas rocket due to launch fails to launch on the 14th. Looks like a 4 day window at a stretch,i can manage the 16/17/18th,have to head back on the 19th so here's hoping she gets away on time!!

Hi LL, I dare not search the net for 200 diffrient answers,are you saying there still is only one confirmed launch date on the 16th? or If the Atlas launch,s it will be the 17th,18th or 19th?

Hi LL, I dare not search the net for 200 diffrient answers,are you saying there still is only one confirmed launch date on the 16th? or If the Atlas launch,s it will be the 17th,18th or 19th?

If the Atlas gets away clean on the 14th then Atlantis will be cleared to go on the 16th. If Atlas doesn't go until the 15th then Atlantis will be bumped down to the 17th at 14.02 EDT. they're still negotiating with the Delta team about an extension which would allow them 4 days(16/17/18 & 19th) to get Atlantis away. If not then she'll slip to early December.

STS-129 crew and the Astrovan today before the crew headed out to 39a and a countdown test onboard Atlantis.

2009-6058-m.jpg

• Advertisement

Atlantis' payload awaits loading into the Orbiter(due wednesday).

2009-6018-m.jpg

Weird to see a six man crew aint it
    This is to be the last Shuttle to return an Astronaut/Cosmonaut from the ISS.

Weird to see a six man crew aint it
    This is to be the last Shuttle to return an Astronaut/Cosmonaut from the ISS.

Yeah,i was looking at the seating layout for the jaunt up and it took me a while to cop on as to why there was only 6 going up and 7 coming back! Duh.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Good point, most Shuttle launches have a crew of 7, Just for historical interest there was only one Shuttle launch with a crew of 8 back in 1985. STS 61A Challenger, in fact it was in orbit 24 years ago this week from Oct 30 to Nov 6.
    srvrt.jpg

STS-71 Atlantis launched with 7 and returned with 8 after the first Shuttle/Mir docking on July 7 1995.

25mirdockingsts71a.jpg

Yeah,i was looking at the seating layout for the jaunt up and it took me a while to cop on as to why there was only 6 going up and 7 coming back! Duh.:)

Lol LL the 'Spare place' is for You:)

Lol LL the 'Spare place' is for You:)

I wish!!:D

And don't forget STS-1 only had 2 onboard;)

I wish!!:D

And don't forget STS-1 only had 2 onboard;)

Listen bitch I knew that!:D

Younges heartbeat remained almost normal and Crippens went up to about 3000 PM:)

Did Crippen ever fly again?ANYBODY?

Younges heartbeat remained almost normal and Crippens went up to about 3000 PM:)

Did Younge ever fly again?ANYBODY?

I don't think he ever got to go up again. John Glen got the chance later alright.

Edit: Now that i think of it i reckon he went on one of the skylab missions,not sure which one though.

Edit again: I thought for some reason you meant Young instead of Crippen. Crippen flew 2 or 3 times after iirc.

I don't think he ever got to go up again. John Glen got the chance later alright.

Quite true Glenn was aged 77!

So there is hope for Beeker:D

Quite true Glenn was aged 77!

So there is hope for Beeker:D

I like the way you waited 'til Beeker went offline before you said that!:D

• Advertisement

I like the way you waited 'til Beeker went offline before you said that!:D

Oh He will make Me suffer for that!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Oh He will make Me suffer for that!:D
    Hey!!! I'm still just a lad, well......sort of!:D
    Young flew 6 times Gemini 3 and 10, Apollo 10 and 16 and then STS-1 and STS-9, He was the first person to fly 6 times in space. I actually met the guy a few years back in Dublin.
    Crippen first flew on STS-1 and then followed that on STS-7, STS-41C and finally STS 41G.

Beeker wrote: »

Still 7 years older than me!:D

Young flew 6 times Gemini 3 and 10, Apollo 10 and 16 and then STS-1 and STS-9, He was the first person to fly 6 times in space. I actually met the guy a few years back in Dublin.
    Crippen first flew on STS-1 and then followed that on STS-7, STS-41C and finally STS 41G.

Beeker glad You take my{corny jokes}in good fun as they are meant:)
    As ever You are a beacon of knowledge!
    I really thought Crippen had never flown again.

Just thinking about John Young, he was the first "new" astronaut to fly after the "Original 7" {of which only 6 few originally:)}. He was only one of 3 people to fly to the moon twice, one of 12 to walk on the surface. He was the first shuttle commander and only person to fly on Gemini, apollo and Shuttle.

Did Crippen ever fly again?ANYBODY?
    3000 BPM? That can't be right. The maximum heart rate is 220BPM minus Age. It can't really exceed far past that, and any BPM above 150, 160 is pretty heavy - even for a space flight.
    Am curious though where did you get the information on BPM of astronauts launching into space? Would be very interesting to look at...

Enough biology, is Glenn still alive and what STS did he go up in when he was 77? What role did he have on it? :eek:

Still 7 years older than me!:D

Yeah I celebrated the 21st anniversary of my 21st this year!!!:D

Good night!

Enough biology, is Glenn still alive and what STS did he go up in when he was 77? What role did he have on it? :eek:

Yeah he's still alive. I think it was STS-95 that Glenn was on,they wanted to study the effect of space on the elderly.

Yeah I celebrated the 21st anniversary of my 21st this year!!!:D

Nicely done!:D

• Advertisement

3000 BPM? That can't be right. The maximum heart rate is 220BPM minus Age. It can't really exceed far past that, and any BPM above 150, 160 is pretty heavy - even for a space flight.

It was 130+ according to Crippen,Youngs hardly waivered!

Advertisement