Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-129,Atlantis - 12/11/09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

jumpguy wrote: »
    3000 BPM? That can't be right. The maximum heart rate is 220BPM minus Age. It can't really exceed far past that, and any BPM above 150, 160 is pretty heavy - even for a space flight.
    Am curious though where did you get the information on BPM of astronauts launching into space? Would be very interesting to look at...

Enough biology, is Glenn still alive and what STS did he go up in when he was 77? What role did he have on it? :eek:

Lol Jumpguy it was an exageration by Me for effect about the heartbeat of Crippon,His heartbeat was way above Youngs though and he was the subject of many jokes about it on his return.On You tube you can find them,He Even had to suffer a ribbing by Reagan about it:)
    I guess Young{the right stuff 1 of 7} achieved all he did because of his coolness under pressure}

Oh and John Glenn WAS to test drugs for Dementia and other brain disease's but that was ruled out by the drug control agency in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

May I just confirm that this 'contraption' is due to launch on November 16th at 1828 GMT?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Kevster wrote: »
    May I just confirm that this 'contraption' is due to launch on November 16th at 1828 GMT?

Yep,14.28 EDT,18.28 GMT,19.28 Irish time.:)

Wait a second (no pun intended)... ...It'll be 18.28 Irish time, won't it? Did you guys not put your clocks back to GMT?! I might have moved to the UK but I'm sure that the UK and Ireland stick to the same times!

Wait a second (no pun intended)... ...It'll be 18.28 Irish time, won't it? Did you guys not put your clocks back to GMT?! I might have moved to the UK but I'm sure that the UK and Ireland stick to the same times!

Lol,our times are still the same. The U.S. clocks go back this weekend and it'll be back to a 5 hour difference between us and the U.S. East coast. Atlantis goes at 14.28 Eastern time,hence 19.28 in Ireland and the U.K.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Lol,our times are still the same. The U.S. clocks go back this weekend and it'll be back to a 5 hour difference between us and the U.S. East coast. Atlantis goes at 14.28 Eastern time,hence 19.28 in Ireland and the U.K.

They went back November 1st:p

ynotdu wrote: »
    They went back November 1st:p

Good point,all my hotel/flight booking has my mind frazzled!:)

Oh feck, you're right. I had been seeing it as the US being on EDT right now (not EST). Why can't everyne just have the same goddam time :P

Let me get this straight:

GMT is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time (EST)

... ...but... ...

Irish Summer Time (IST) is also 5 hours ahead of Easter Daylight Time (EDT)?

Oh feck, you're right. I had been seeing it as the US being on EDT right now (not EST). Why can't everyne just have the same goddam time :P

... ...but... ...

{good to see You back Kev}
    but to answer your question,well the Earth would have to be flat:D;)

{good to see You back Kev}
    but to answer your question,well the Earth would have to be flat:D;)

...you mean the Earth ISN'T flat!!! :eek:

Things have been okay here in York.. ...rather cold though. im coming home on Thursday for my graduation in Carlow on Friday (I have to pick up my student of the year award for the second year running too... ... ;))

• Advertisement

...you mean the Earth ISN'T flat!!! :eek:

Things have been okay here in York.. ...rather cold though. im coming home on Thursday for my graduation in Carlow on Friday (I have to pick up my student of the year award for the second year running too... ... ;))

Might be a good thing if the Earth WAS flat,Who would notice a few million people falling over the edge after all :pac::pac::pac:

It has been cold here in Dublin too.:(

I believe in free speech so Congratulations on receiving the 'Flat Earths society award Two years running!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

... ...but... ...

Yeah you are correct. GMT or as it is now called UTC is 5 hours ahead of EST. Both Ireland and the USA put their clock forward 1 hour in the spring so IST is also 5 ahead of EDT once the USA changes its time. The US and ourselves normally change within a week or two of each other, hence for a short while the difference may be only 4 hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Getting close now LL!!! When do you head over to Florida?

393952main129nov3690.jpg

I'm heading Stateside on Tuesday. I'll be in New York until sunday 15th,then i'll head down to Florida that evening and hopefully have a run at a launch the next day. I'm getting increasingly nervous cause my previous 2 attempts changed before i went over so i was able to re-arrange my plans before flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

How often will you have contact with boards over there?

jumpguy wrote: »
    How often will you have contact with boards over there?

I'll have my laptop with me and i'm using hotels i've used before that have free WIFI.:D I'll be on boards whenever i get a chance,certainly until launch day(fingers crossed!). Launch day i'll be incommunicado until later that day when i get back to the hotel.

I really hope it works out for you!!! Looking forward to your reports. How I would love to be going again:)

A couple of "behind the scenes" videos relating to STS-129:

and:http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/archive/sts-129/replay20.php

And here's another video from the countdown test the other day,showing the astronauts arriving at KSC,launch suit fitting,the ride to 39a,the white room and close-out crew and a mock egress in the baskets and a look at the payload before it's fitted to Atlantis.

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/archive/sts-129/replay21.php

While we wait for Atlantis to launch heres a great video of the very first Shuttle launch STS-1 on April 12 1981.

• Advertisement

only way to fly

355490main_image_1379_946-710.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

only way to fly

355490main_image_1379_946-710.jpg
    I love the way your sig says "I never said it was perfect" after that post. :D

Right folks,i'm hitting the road tomorrow so wish me luck and here's hoping 3rd time lucky:D

I'll be on here occasionally over the next week.hopefully we get a GO next Monday.

Right folks,i'm hitting the road tomorrow so wish me luck and here's hoping 3rd time lucky:D

I'll be on here occasionally over the next week.hopefully we get a GO next Monday.
    Good luck!!!! Fingers and toes crossed here for you my frirend!!

Lets launch!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

Beeker wrote: »
    Good luck!!!! Fingers and toes crossed here for you my frirend!!

Lets launch!:)

Sorry to be a nerd Beeker.

The fact that we need to cross our fingers means the machine is unreliable.

Nobody crosses their fingers when a Boeing 747 races across the runway.

The Boeing 747 always gets up there.

Azelfafage wrote: »

Your right! A 747 is reliable and carries thousands of people every day. The shuttle is not anywhere near as reliable as that. Spaceflight is difficult and dangerous as we well know. The shuttle is and has always been an expermental vehicle. NASA called it operational after just 4 flights, but it never was.
    I love the Shuttle but I know it must be retired soon, it is simply just too dangerous to keep flying long term. The astronauts know the dangers they are entering when flying and get on with it all the same. This is the way it will be for a long time to come. Its dangerous but we should not stop because it is! We must move forward and try to improve the safety of flying into space.
    By the way no need to be sorry for being a nerd!! I'm one myself:D

Finally the 747 does not always get up there, its very rare but even aircraft are not 100% safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Boeing 747s currently fly with the KNOWN design flaws.

They're subtle, but their there, I remember reading em, it's just google does not like me. (Tail Fin is one I think?)

The earlier planes flew with even more KNOWN design flaws. Sometimes there just is no other way around a problem.

This is wrecking my head at the moment.. can someone else help me out?:(

I'm not saying that planes are dangerous, Boeing's are extremely safe, I'm just illustrating the point that sometimes there are issues that cannot be avoided and the designers are all to consciously aware of but can do nothing about.

Azelfafage wrote: »

Hey don't leave Me out!I'm a Nerd as well:).since You insist on being a party pooper to STS lovers by saying how safer it is to fly by 747:

The Tenerife airport disaster in 1977 was a collision involving two Boeing 747 passenger aircraft on the runway of Los Rodeos Airport (now known as Tenerife North Airport) on the Spanish island of Tenerife, one of the Canary Islands. With 583 fatalities, the crash remains the deadliest accident in aviation history. All 248 aboard the fully fuelled KLM flight were killed. There were also 335 fatalities and 61 survivors from the Pan Am flight, which was struck along its spine by the KLM's landing gear, under-belly and four engines. Rescue crews were unaware for over 20 minutes that the Pan Am aircraft was also involved in the accident, due to the heavy fog and the separation of the crippled aircraft following the collision

full article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster.

To be fair their were a lot of mitigating circumstances.

Hope you get to read this before Your flight{if its by 747 sorry about the post above:D,psst wanna buy some tranquilisers? ha ha.
    So like any good Astronaut did You go through a complete checklist for the suitcase?ya know toothpaste,Irish Rashers sausages&pudding,Most of ALL the clean underwear:D. Remember You are 'OUR' man in Florida and forgetting to post here is NOT an option,Understood?:p. Also please remember to take the cover off Your camera's lense!:eek:
    We are rooting for You but she sure is not making Life easy for You:)

JUMPGUY: It WOULD be You who spotted that unintentional irony,would'nt it?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

LL , wish you the very very best of luck , i hope you have a REALLY fantastic time LL , i`d say i speak for everyone here when i say Enjoy every moment of your trip LL We will be thinking of ya !!! ;):p:):cool::pac:

Advertisement