Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-129,Atlantis - 12/11/09

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    It's 23.51,only in Orlando a couple of hours and have to be up in 4 hours!! I'm a bag of nerves,the processing flow has been near perfect,weather is playing ball,something has to go wrong. My money is on the jacks not flushing hence forcing a scrub!:D

I'll probably be offline for much of tomorrow but if i can get a 3g signal on my phone i'll try post here at some stage. Fingers/toes/eyes crossed for tomorrow;)
    "Looking good going over the hill...we'er all riding with ye!.. STS-1 Capcom Joe Allen April 14 1981.

I think all of us here are with you today. My advice is to enjoy the experience and take it all in. You will remember this day for the rest of your life. It is trully a wonderful experience...God speed Atlantis and Lord Lucan.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Atlantis during final preperations at Pad 39A Sunday night.
    20096298m.jpg

20096299m.jpg

20096297m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

On the way to KSC!:)

Lucky b*****d!:)

Countdown is going well for this evenings Launch of STS-129 Atlantis at 19:28 Irish time. Fueling has begun of the External Tank.

Here is a quick list of what will happen over the next few hours.

The Flight Crew will leave the Operations and Checkout building at 15:37. and are expected at Pad-A at 16:03. The Closeout Crew is expected to evacuate Pad-A at 18:13 following the closure of Atlantis's side hatch for flight at 17:13.

Also at 18:13, the countdown will enter a 10-minute built in hold at the T-20 minute mark. The countdown will resume at 18:23 and count down to the T-9 minute mark. At that point (18:34), the countdown will enter its final built in hold. This hold, assuming a launch at the center of the window, will last for 45-minutes and 11-seconds.
    Approximately 15-minutes before the targeted T0 time, NASA Test Director Steve Payne and Shuttle Launch Director Mike Leinbach will conduct the final “Go/No Go” for launch poll. If all consoles poll “go,” Atlantis’ countdown will resume at 19:19:11.
    If all goes as planned, Atlantis’ three Space Shuttle Main Engines will begin their staggered start sequence at 19:28:04, with the Solid Rocket Boosters igniting at 19:28:11 to begin to the STS-129 mission.
    At that stage if he is still standing Lord lucan will have a permanent smile on his face which will have to be removed by surgery:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

LOL LL :D , i had to double check there for a minute , i taught you had said you were on the way to KFC!;)

Fingers crossed for you LL , ENJOY !!!!!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

So they have announced that the external tank is fully tanked with no problems:)

Watched the start of fueling for half an hour just after 10 am,Some great camera angles i thought,some i had never saw before.
    Weather is down from 90% chance to 70%,but they are still very optomistic at this stage:)

Beeker You being the only one i know thats been there and has the T-shirt,Can you give us some kind of perspective on what LL would be seeing now?
    What i mean really is with the naked eye is 129 just a distant far off dot or say on a scale of 1-10 what height does the shuttle 'appear' from the public viewing area?

ynotdu wrote: »
    So they have announced that the external tank is fully tanked with no problems:)

Watched the start of fueling for half an hour just after 10 am,Some great camera angles i thought,some i had never saw before.
    Weather is down from 90% chance to 70%,but they are still very optomistic at this stage:)

Beeker You being the only one i know thats been there and has the T-shirt,Can you give us some kind of perspective on what LL would be seeing now?
    What i mean really is with the naked eye is 129 just a distant far off dot or say on a scale of 1-10 what height does the shuttle 'appear' from the public viewing area?
    He is about 6 miles from the pad but is looking accross open water so he has a good clear view. With the naked eye the pad and shuttle are small enough but very visible. Using a zoom on his camera he should see something like the image below.
    img2013r.jpg

it's a bit overcast so far. Nothing rain bearing that i can see though. There's a forecast for rain to move in post launch,on.y worry at the mo is that cloud could compromise the runway and any abort attempt.

it's a bit overcast so far. Nothing rain bearing that i can see though. There's a forecast for rain to move in post launch,on.y worry at the mo is that cloud could compromise the runway and any abort attempt.
    Hopefully it will hold off for you. Have you arrived at the causeway yet?

• Advertisement

Ah LL Security let You in!;)
    well done You for finding a way to post!
    Good news from the emergency landing sites they are all GO!{overseas ones}
    Do You hear commentry were You are from NASA by Public adress?

Ah LL Security let You in!;)
    well done You for finding a way to post!
    Good news from the emergency landing sites they are all GO!
    Do You hear commentry were You are from NASA by Public adress?

Hiya ynotdu ;)

Was watching earlier too , great viewing :D

LL if you had a radio scanner handy you would hear major chatter while you were there , suppose your hands are already full with camera gear etc , Your our very own Leo Enright LL :p

Beeker wrote: »
    He is about 6 miles from the pad but is looking accross open water so he has a good clear view. With the naked eye the pad and shuttle are small enough but very visible. Using a zoom on his camera he should see something like the image below.
    img2013r.jpg

Beeker is that one of your own fotos taken while you were there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

[quote Your our very own Leo Enright LL :p[/quote]

:D:D:D

Stargate wrote: »
    Hiya ynotdu ;)

Was watching earlier too , great viewing :D

LL if you had a radio scanner handy you would hear major chatter while you were there , suppose your hands are already full with camera gear etc , Your our very own Leo Enright LL :p

Hi.Yu Stargut Think yeah Fir:D corrreeeectang My Spilling

Oh and i have an audio tape recording made by My Father of STS-1 and Leo Enright was the commentator,the noise of Launch was SO Loud He is heard saying"Dublin can You hear Me"! :D

Beeker is that one of your own fotos taken while you were there ?

Yeah! just over a year ago on Nov 14 2008. Launch of Endeavour on STS 126...happy day:)

Finishing work here at 14:30 then straight home to watch NASA TV for the evening. Wife will be mad but she's used to it by know:D

Finishing work here at 14:30 then straight home to watch NASA TV for the evening. Wife will be mad but she's used to it by know:D

Putting on the Spacesuit and UP with the DO NOT DISTURB signs Beeker?:D

A walkie talkie for your long-suffering wife to fetch food and drink for You?:)

Putting on the Spacesuit and UP with the DO NOT DISTURB signs Beeker?:D

A walkie talkie for your long-suffering wife to fetch food and drink for You?:)
    Oh I wish....she will make my dinner this evening OK but her patience only extend so far:D

fifilarue wrote: »
    [quote Your our very own Leo Enright LL :p

:D:D:D[/QUOTE]

Hiya fifilarue ;)
    Hope your doing great !

• Advertisement

"Looking good going over the hill...we'er all riding with ye!.. STS-1 Capcom Joe Allen April 14 1981.

I think all of us here are with you today. My advice is to enjoy the experience and take it all in. You will remember this day for the rest of your life. It is trully a wonderful experience...God speed Atlantis and Lord Lucan.:)

Here Here Beeker !! or is it Hear Hear :D
    Hope to hear those rockets goooooo later and LL has the day of his life !!!!!!

Yeah! just over a year ago on Nov 14 2008. Launch of Endeavour on STS 126...happy day:)

Great Picture , specially when you imagine you took it yourself Beeker and you were there , damn , i BET it was a happy day for you ;)
    So you more than most will know how LL is feeling right now Beeker .
    Strap him in his seat and lets gooooooo LOL :)

not at the causeway yet,should be boarding a bus at 11(est :D). I've no scanner so i'm awaiting the first status update here at 10.

not at the causeway yet,should be boarding a bus at 11(est :D). I've no scanner so i'm awaiting the first status update here at 10.

Jeez even when he's in Florida We can't talk behind LL's back:pac::pac::D
    dunno if you can watch nasa tv LL but they resumed coverage at 09.30 est:D
    No change since they went off-air at 13.00 UTC:)

Hi Stargate-chuckling away to myself here-very witty bunch on this thread-it always brightens my day!

Jeez even when he's in Florida We can't talk behind LL's back:pac::pac::D
    dunno if you can watch nasa tv LL but they resumed coverage at 09.30 est:D
    No change since they went off-air at 13.00 UTC:)

LoL @ ynotdu EST , UTC Haha tell em to stick to Irish time and everything will be great ;)

fifilarue wrote: »
    Hi Stargate-chuckling away to myself here-very witty bunch on this thread-it always brightens my day!

fifilarue :) Welcome aboard , no pun intended hehehe

Its all ynotdu`s fault , he`s always at it :)

fifilarue :) Welcome aboard , no pun intended hehehe

Its all ynotdu`s fault , he`s always at it :)
    :D:D:D

the sun is out with a vengance,burning off most of the nearby cloud. On the bus waiting to go out to the causeway,usually have to wait until the crew are onboard before heading out so may be here for a while!

• Advertisement

the sun is out with a vengance,burning off most of the nearby cloud. On the bus waiting to go out to the causeway,usually have to wait until the crew are onboard before heading out so may be here for a while!

They have arriaved and are boarding within a few minutes,the closedown crew are aboard already and Astronauts in the 'White room'.Weather is red but You know how quickly that changes!:)

Edit at 16.45 weathar has just been declared green!:D

Advertisement