Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Street, Dublin 1 - Nice Area?

Options
  • 23-09-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey,

Im moving to Dublin and found a great place on Killarney street.

Whats the area like though? Safe, quiet, etc?

Thanks!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Are u staying in Killarney Court? Those flats have a big gate to get in so they might be safe security wise. As for walking round at night, I wouldn't say it's very safe, wouldn't say its too quiet either. Close to town though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Personally I'd avoid living in Dublin 1 at all costs. All those streets east of O'Connell St. are rough enough especially at night. I wouldn't fancy walking home after a night out through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

TBH its not the best place in D1. Areas like it are very cliqie and tight-nit but not in a good way. Could be very hard to fit in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Killarney st is fine, you could do much worse off not too far away.

It used to be a crime hotspot years ago when those apartments were Joseph mansions. Most of the residents on that road are student/foreigners nowadays. You won't find many "locals" there.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Its ok their is worse places in Dublin. Its like most areas if you go about business nobody will bother you. Sometimes its a little rough but what area isnt like that these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Personally I'd avoid living in Dublin 1 at all costs. All those streets east of O'Connell St. are rough enough especially at night. I wouldn't fancy walking home after a night out through them.

How original.

I think we've been along this road before with practically all parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

ok i know this might sound daft but can you pm me the details of where your looking to stay on the st? Gf lives on killarney st and its perfectly fine pretty much as nice and quiet a st as there is in town but theres a few apartments and bedsits that are fine but theres one place on it id advise you not to rent in but if you pm me i can tell you everything you could want to know about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Rashers wrote: »
    How original.

I think we've been along this road before with practically all parts of Dublin.

Killarney St is the tail end of Sean McDermott St, which along with Summerhill, is one of the worst parts of Dublin near O'Connell St. So, if you afford to live somewhere else, you should.

Unfortunately/fortunately its not the same as practically all parts of Dublin. A walk from Cathal Brugha St to Killarney St, just isn't quite the same as, for example similar length, a walk down Leinster Road in D6.

donaghs wrote: »
    Killarney St is the tail end of Sean McDermott St, which along with Summerhill, is one of the worst parts of Dublin near O'Connell St. So, if you afford to live somewhere else, you should.

Unfortunately/fortunately its not the same as practically all parts of Dublin. A walk from Cathal Brugha St to Killarney St, just isn't quite the same as, for example similar length, a walk down Leinster Road in D6.

Pfft tbf i completely disagree with this you wouldnt believe the world of difference between summerhill and killarney st most of the younger townies dont even know where killarney st is its gone so quiet since joesephs mansions was rebuilt. Don't come on and blatantly lie about somewhere...

Yeah have to say, thats bull, you obviously have no local knowledge of the place.
    Theres a world between kilarney st and Summerhill, which also isnt nearly as bad as it used to be, since theres no mountain view and sean o casey is now fort knox.,.
    I'd choose Killarney street though, its really quiet. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Centra brings a fair amount of people, but it's not a street people hang around in anymore. It's certainly not the worst street in the area and they have really done a lovely job on Joseph's Mansions.

Ive never seen any of that, And i would pop by that centra nearly every day. :)

And the security guard in there is an absolute pig. he takes no **** and follows everyone around the shop. rather annoying, but still, you wont see many junkies getting past him.

:)

Id agree centra gets a lot of people going to it but never see gangs hanging around it or katleens never seen trouble starting outside either of them.

If you are moving in best chipper around there is ezios on amien st and for a chinese its lin kee on north strand imo...I know you didnt ask but it's what I'd want to know moving into a new area :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Id agree centra gets a lot of people going to it but never see gangs hanging around it or katleens never seen trouble starting outside either of them.

If you are moving in best chipper around there is ezios on amien st and for a chinese its lin kee on north strand imo...I know you didnt ask but it's what I'd want to know moving into a new area :D.

Luigi's is nicer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Masada wrote: »
    Yeah have to say, thats bull, you obviously have no local knowledge of the place.
    Theres a world between kilarney st and Summerhill, which also isnt nearly as bad as it used to be, since theres no mountain view and sean o casey is now fort knox.,.
    I'd choose Killarney street though, its really quiet. :)

Killarney St. is a bit quieter due to being on the edge of worse areas. But you seem to be describing it as some sort of separate area to the surrounding areas. It's just a small stretch of road between Sean McDermott St and the Five Lamps. And standing on the corner of Sean McDemott St, Killarney St and Buckingham St (beside the memorial to all the local people who died from drugs) you can clearly see Summerhill (a few secs walk up the hill). It's not an arguement, that's just its physical location. But if you like the area I don't mind.

The IFSC is closer to Sheriff street than Summerhill is to killarney street, yet thats a nice area.
    Just because your can see the street doesn't mean it makes the area bad.(its about 200meters north of the Buckingham st junction).Sean McDermot street has very few houses on it until you get down as far as the Diamond where there used to be flats, but they are now gone. No matter where you live in Dublin you wont have to go very far to find trouble makers. its simply a question of what the specific area is like. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

walked through the place a load of times as well as the area around it (north strand/summerhill) saw the odd syringe dumped on the ground,some rough as fcuk pubs etc i'm a well built 6ft1 but i wouldn't even walk through that whole part of town at night let alone live on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Masada wrote: »
    And the security guard in there is an absolute pig. he takes no **** and follows everyone around the shop. rather annoying, but still, you wont see many junkies getting past him.

The guy with the belly?
    I always thought he was the owner :o
    He's always reading the paper but he sees and watches everything!

It's not such a bad area OP. Wouldn't be my first choice if I was moving to Dublin 1 though

haha, yup, thats him, he can count yore money by looking at ya.

Advertisement