Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who owns who........

• 23-09-2009 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭

looking at getting fixed line(cant take the sad 3 modem any longer:mad:) broadband in blarney/tower area, no phone necessary so before I bang out a few e-mails to providers I can see from the threads here some providers have eaten own others,so looks like just vodafone and eircom are main fixed line operators offering the service, or is there anyone else worth lookin at......

thanks,
    in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

Smart? (Yes, I know they are in examinership...)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I use UTV in Midleton and find them pretty good.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, also use UTV, with the uncapped addon. Generally good apart from occasional DNS issues (OpenDNS ftw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

sorry to ask but do there costs include line rental,utv site doesn't seem too clear to me.........:o(probably my fault)

what I'm saying is as of now I have no phone line into my house(live in a newish estate so connection will be easy I'd imagine)) the only reason I'll get one is for broadband the only cost i want to incur is a one off payment to someone each month for broadband,as I have a mobile(free calls) so as a total newbie and techno-phobe I want a fixed line service,no phone needed,brand new connection..... as wireless is crap,

how do i go about it as economical as possible to myself....?

was going to bang out an e-mail to a good few providers over the weekend but I know generally they'll want a contact no. to spill out they're auld guff.......

all i want to be able to do is match like with like as close as possible to make a choice,but there is so many providers etc. its hard to tell whats what out there it's a bit confusing:confused:............or I could be a little thick

if this shortcuts it great,..........

thanks for any help,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok,

eircom internet needs a phone line.
    it will be 25 euro line rental, and then the cost of the broadband.
    eircom also charge 121 euro connection fee if your house has never had an active phone line before. (this is why a lot of people hate eircom)

ntl do not need a phone line. their internet comes through co-ax cable's.
    there is no set up fee for ntl.
    you pay for what ever service you want.
    e.g broadband only, you pay for broadband only.
    broadband + phone + tv service, you pay for all 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

banged out a few e-mails yesterday no replies yet
    eircom didnt get one spent about 5 mins trying to find their e-mail address for enquiries gave up as when searching invariably kept getting sent back to other pages where they want you to ring or go online live......may try that tomorrow
    very annoying not to have a contact e-mail under contacts though:confused:

Advertisement