Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soya milk + coffee?!

Options
  • 23-09-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

hey, got this idea from rasmus :pac: thnx

So ive just started soya milk, and i love coffee, used to always have it with milk,.

now soya milk tastes fine but... now if anyone has had a soya milk coffee they will know this -
    It looks like recycled swamp vomit....m:eek:

anyone know why?or what can be done to help this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

and you will get answers!!! i wonder if i can find any old mentions of this in the forum...

success! there was a thread on soy milk mixing

and this guy had a technique http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58750550&postcount=37

but hopefully you'll get some new opinions on the matter soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

thank you kindly good sir:D

madam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

Okay brands that work well are.... alpro, soya soleil and lidl's own brand soy aaaand it's cheap ;)

• Advertisement

sorry madam!

I've tried some techniques to no avail...
    does anyone know much about other milks...
    Rice milk?! I haven't seen it around to buy... anyone know where I could sample this potential delight?:rolleyes:

noooo! don't use rice milk. I've had in with tea before but its so thin and sweet and it only ruins the tea and you'd be better drinking black. I myself drink oatmilk but couldn't tell you if that's any different to soya in coffee. One thing I do find that after a day of being open it seems to be a little thicker. Always shake well :)

There must be more opinions on this coffee topic somewhere!?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

Make sure the soya milk is really fresh before putting it into the coffee and also don't use boiling water, leave it for a few seconds first.

Pesonally I love almond milk in tea and coffee.

I've nailed the technique down!

Made a perfect cup just there. Constant stirring is where the secret lies.

Im curious to try these other milks you speak of, where can I find rice,almond a nd oat milk>?

health food stores :) sometimes you can find them in big supermarkets but never my favourite oatmilk, Oatly. Hafer might be cheaper or Oat Dream, but they don't compare! Let us know what you thing when you try all these new milks :D

oh, congratulations on that perfect cup of coffee ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

I get the other milks in the organic supermarket on Blackrock main street or in the health food shop in Frascati Shopping Centre also in Blackrock.
    But really most health food shops should have alternatives to soya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Rice Dream tastes fine in coffee, little sweet and thin maybe but definitly works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I got Hemp milk last night in the Food Co-Op (it's quite nice) and also saw, for the first time, in the Nature Store, Dundrum Shopping Experience, Quinoa milk! Both pricey but nice to have options :p

I've seen both rice and soy milk in Tescos, SuperQuinns and Centras. Possibly Dunnes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I had some alpro soya milk in my tea today for the first time, was a very pleasant experience, and my first encounter with soya milk. It's quite nice even, not at all as bad as I expected.

I remember someone posted a thing about all the cow-puss in milk here once... so maybe I'll switch to soya milk fully :)

raah! if you want any more reasons to keep you away from dairy milk, read up here: http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I'm not gonna click on that! Ignorance is bliss :P

/clicks anyway :(

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    hey, got this idea from rasmus :pac: thnx

So ive just started soya milk, and i love coffee, used to always have it with milk,.

now soya milk tastes fine but... now if anyone has had a soya milk coffee they will know this -
    It looks like recycled swamp vomit....m:eek:

anyone know why?or what can be done to help this?

you could try rice milk

• Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

I'm a bit of a coffee lover, and I've found that coffee and soy milk never quite go together. The tannins in the coffee cause the soy milk to separate. The more coffee, the more tannins. The stronger the coffee, the more tannins. If the tannins outnumber the soy milk too much, they will cause the protein in the milk to coagulate and the soy milk to separate.

The two solutions I found:
    1) Make your coffee weaker.
    2) Increase the milk:coffee ratio.

I know neither of these are ideal, and may mean you can't make your coffee in the same way as you would with milk. Try different things though. How about making a nice cappuccino or latte?
    Trying other milks is also a great idea. I haven't tried any others so don't know if there's much improvement to be had.

Interesting answer f4fake. I have learnt so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I agree that weaker coffee (or tea) and soya milk cause no problems.
    I tend to shake the carton vigorously before pouring and I think that may also help.
    Gives a nice frothy appearance, too. :)

• Advertisement

Turns out i work next door to a health food shop, everything is in there.

Ive just bought Oat milk, ill let u know how coffee works with that.

lol! glad you found your way there :D

remember - the oatmilk seems to get a little thicker (in a good way) the next day after opening, so try it accordingly too :)

lol! glad you found your way there :D

remember - the oatmilk seems to get a little thicker (in a good way) the next day after opening, so try it accordingly too :)

Will do, I had some amazing dairyfree chocolate today also! :) was so nice having chocolate again.

woohoo!

Just made a coffe with oatmilk.

Very tasty, i drank some by itself too. So far way better than soy.
    No weird mixing, it jst went straight in and tastes so much better.

Next purchase will be almond milk.

Btw, how do you guys rate the prices of these alternamilks? etc

You will find that the vitamin enriched Oatly oatmilk is cheaper than the normal brand, it just tastes a little sweeter. €2.19 in Holland and Barret I think, so about 50 cent or so cheaper than the normal Oatly. Holland and Barret are often doing 'buy one, get one half price' etc, so that's good. You can get Oat Dream (from the makers of Rice Dream) in Dunnes, so that might be a good price. Hafer is the cheaper alternative in Health food stores. I live on Oatly enriched :) Even though I like to support small health food stores they can charge €3+ for Oat milk and I aint prepared to pay that!

Yes, I love Oatly :) Come on, lowers cholesterol and all!

In comparing all prices, soya milk is always going to be cheaper. You have to shop around to find the best price for other milks.

Oh, I do remember that powdered forms of quinoa and possibly almond milk are available. I used to see them in Evergreen in Galway. Can't remember the brand.

If you google the net, you will also learn numerous ways to make your own milk from oats/nuts etc. If cooking with milk to make a sauce etc., I recommend 1 cup oat flakes, 2 cups water, pinch of salt, mix, leave for a while (30 min or overnight) and then strain to obtain milk. you can re-soak those used oats, add more salt and a bit less water and repeat to obtain a second batch.

I live on Oatly enriched :) Even though I like to support small health food stores they can charge €3+ for Oat milk and I aint prepared to pay that!

Thats the one I got today, health food store next to me, it was €4.35 I think.!! bit pricey indeed.
    If you google the net, you will also learn numerous ways to make your own milk from oats/nuts etc. If cooking with milk to make a sauce etc., I recommend 1 cup oat flakes, 2 cups water, pinch of salt, mix, leave for a while (30 min or overnight) and then strain to obtain milk. you can re-soak those used oats, add more salt and a bit less water and repeat to obtain a second batch.

Now theres something I never would have thought of... but I'm intrigued now.

€4.35!!! my lord you were ripped off! Even in local health food stores I have never been charge that much. Holland and Barrett are the cheapest and have stores in loads of places. They don't seem to have a list for Ireland on their website, but in Dublin I know of stores on Grafton St, in the Blackrock Shopping centre, in the Dun Laoghaire Shopping centre and in the Blanchardstown shopping centre. I think €3.50 or so was the most I've ever forked out for Oatly.

edit: Nature's way were taken over by Holland and Barrett and stores are listed here. http://www.naturesway.ie/pages/stores.asp?xs=2B18D75064394AC99E2F701487B87531

Checked today. Enriched oatly is 2.19 and normal 2.79 in holland and barrett.

• Advertisement

Found a place where its €2.50 XD

Advertisement