Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get UCD Ents to stop texting me?

Options
  • 23-09-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, over the last few weeks I've been getting texts from clubs I've never been to before telling me about promos and referencing UCD Ents. I thought that maybe other clubs had sold on my number (despite me not ticking anything to opt in/out of my number being passed around like a can amongst 15 year olds) until today I got a text from "UCD Ents" (no number) telling me about tickets for Deadmau5. I'm not in UCD so there's no reason for UCD Ents to have my number, and I can't go to any of these gigs cos I don't have a UCD student card. I looked on the UCD website for a number for Ents but didn't find one. Can anyone either give me a cotact number or tell me an alternative way to get them to stop texting me and possibly giving out my number?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hinduhamster

Have you tried going to your network provider and getting them to stop these messages?

I despise those messages too!

I know that network providers can stop the "charging lines" from sending you the texts that cost you €2 and whatnot. I'd say it would be worth pursuing that line. If you get really bothered get onto UCD admin and get an ents number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

doesnt it say 'TXT STOP' @ some number' if you dont want to receive these messages' blah blah..if not get onto ur service provider unless u or some other clown on behalf of u have signed up for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You can't TXT STOP to these numbers as they're sent from an automatic web service but they're not set up like a normal opt-out service AFAIK.

More than likely you signed up to some club at one point and as you guessed, they sold it on/pooled the numbers with other club promoters.

Best thing is to get on to the ents office in UCD and tell them -

Entertainments - Mike-Pat O'Donoghue
    01-716-3113
    mikepat@ucdents.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

Please let us know what happens as I would also like to stop receiving their crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

dhaddock wrote: »
    Please let us know what happens as I would also like to stop receiving their crap.

+1 to that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Just text the number back saying 'fúck off!'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Yeah ive been getting them aswell. Asked UCDSU to take me off the list and they said they would but im still getting them. I gave my number to the SU 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Report it to your phone company as spam, you can forward the text for free to:
    Vodafone: 50005
    Meteor: 50002
    O2: 50455

If they are sharing your details with others against your wishes you can also follow it up with
    the Data Privacy Commisioner www.dataprivacy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

So I rang up there, the ents officer was really nice and said he'd find out what database I'm on and take me off. He said sometimes friends put down their friends' numbers or sometimes if people write down their numbers incoherently other numbers can be added to the database. I also found out UCD students can bring along and sign in a guest which I wish I'd known before Republic of Loose last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Have you tried going to your network provider and getting them to stop these messages?

I despise those messages too!

I know that network providers can stop the "charging lines" from sending you the texts that cost you €2 and whatnot. I'd say it would be worth pursuing that line. If you get really bothered get onto UCD admin and get an ents number?

Network providers can't stop texts. Best bet is to contact Ents which you've done.

They seem to have stopped texting me this year as I missed freshers week and didn't sign up :( :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

You have to defeat Mike Pat in a battle to the death outside O'Reilly Hall.

Advertisement