Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeing People You Went To School With

• 23-09-2009 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

What do you do??

May of been years since ya seen them, do ya make small talk or what?

Fella and a bird hopped into my taxi tonite only going up the road to another estate and through the beard he was the same fella, he was having a ''energetic'' discussion with yer wan so i didnt want to say who i was.

But what do ya do??? A simple nod of the head??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Pretty much, yeah. As long as you acknowledge them. Otherwise you run the risk of looking like a tool when they see you look at them, clock them and then immediately try and avoid making eye contact them. A nod suffices and if they seem hellbent on a chat, indulge, make your excuse and hurry off to do whatever imaginary thing you'd rather be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A "How's it going, bud?" Suffices for me.

Sometimes I stop for a chat, but I try to avoid it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Depends if I like them.

An old friend I'll have a chat with.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't really have this problem as all my best mates are the same ones I had in school. Ditto on all of my acquaintances too. There are the odd few who, well, it was a simple case of personality clashes to the extreme. When I see those people, we conviently never seem to make eye contact. :pac: That's not to say I wouldn't have a chat with them if they approached me, I wouldn't totally blank them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I just ruminate sadly how old/fat/grey/bald they've become, while mentally convincing myself that I have magically become even younger and slimmer looking over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

stovelid wrote: »
    I just ruminate sadly how old/fat/grey/bald they've become, while mentally convincing myself that I have magically become even younger and slimmer looking over the years.

I hope you've got your portrait in a safe place:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I was very badly bullied at school and feel sick any time I run into any of them. I try not to make eye contact and keep going. If i do meet them head on I give a big smile and say hi. While thinking die die die you rotten cow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i say hello to some, ignore others

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Nah i'd say hello. even if its someone from school who ive had school punch ups with we would probably end up laughing about it over a pint.

Altho the last guy from school i saw was while driving up parnell street and i recognised the old class mate walking up the path, i taught to myself jaysus he's gone downhill the past 15 years - next thing he (now a junky) staggers and kind of sideways flies out onto the road, i hit the anchors stopping just inches from running him over. was such a near miss he used the bullbars to climb up off the road........the look on his face was priceless when i started shouting Kieth ye *** eejit, follwed by all his old school slaggings and the old nicknames he used to hate.

So theres a pointless story for ye :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

stovelid wrote: »
    I just ruminate sadly how old/fat/grey/bald they've become,

And thats just the girls........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I give a friendly wave (but not too friendly, otherwise they'll come over for a chat) and keep going on my merry way.

I hate small-talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'd stop and have a chat, even if it's just random waffle for a few minutes

I definitely wouldn't ignore them and march past, jesus some of you people are unfriendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

depends.

If it was the smelly kid that wiped his nose with his sleeve, no.

If it was the nacker that your mother warned you he'd be selling drugs when hes older.. no

If it was the extremely weird guy that looked like he should have a funny eye that all sexual predators have - well, i already talk to him in the mirror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Honestly I wouldn't remember 99.9% of 'em.

But in 2001 I kinda bumped into someone who bullied me in school, pretty bad too.

But in the intervening years I'd grown, I was jacked and was probably at my fighting best - I gave him an open handed bitch slapped and laughed like a 'tard at him crying.

School buds, most red heads like my good self would say 'fvck em'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

If i do meet them head on I give a big smile and say hi. While thinking die die die you rotten cow.....

"In my life, why do i smile at people who i'd much rather kick in the eye" :D
    Heaven knows i'm miserable now, The Smiths.
    Seemed apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I was out in Cuba in Galway a couple of weeks ago and seeing as half my leaving cert class went to college there I kept running into people, ended up standing by the bar beside one of the girls, did the small talk thing "So how's college, been out home recently blah blah blah" and she said "Don't you just hate running into people from school, and having to do the smalltalk thing, even though both of ye know ye don't give a **** about anything the other person says?" and I was in the middle of replying "Yeah, it's pretty awkward" but she just walked off! Nice way to end a conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Would always try to salute them. Catch up? No.

I won't say anything more as last time there was a thread like this, I ended up offfending someone I went to school with whom I didn't know was a well-known boardsie :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Bah, why bother...It'll just descend into a stop'n'chat scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I ignore most of them tbh, biggest pack of bitches ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Honestly I wouldn't remember 99.9% of 'em.

But in 2001 I kinda bumped into someone who bullied me in school, pretty bad too.

But in the intervening years I'd grown, I was jacked and was probably at my fighting best - I gave him an open handed bitch slapped and laughed like a 'tard at him crying.

School buds, most red heads like my good self would say 'fvck em'.

Post of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

I remember them all but to be honest we dont speak...I went to a different secondry school so we lost contact....secondry school there was like 15 in my lc year and by the time the debs came i think 5 were actually still talkin to each other....they all picked the same courses too for uni and still dont talk...

i came to uni with the intention of gettin to make new friends and was very successful at it!

Advertisement