Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 500D/T1I

• 23-09-2009 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Just purchased the canon 500d/t1i, looking to hear some feedback from any other owners of this model on what are the best accessories such as flash gun. lenses, looking for a lense with good zoom, and any one recommend any good classes to improve skills in cork

thanks a mill folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 djvext

Hey,

I'm waiting for this month's paycheck (c'mon Friday!) and I'll be buying the same camera, so very interested to hear all feedback, both positive and negative.

I've read a lot of reviews and they have persuaded me that getting this camera would not be a bad move. I'll prob be getting the camera with the 18-55mm kit lens, so I'll be looking for another lens too with bigger zoom, without spending a fortune (maybe even getting one second-hand, as long as there are no scratches!!!!! aaahh!!!).

:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi guys, the 500D, like its predecessors, is a very capable camera for its size and price.
    The 18-55 kit lens is pretty much muck once you've used L glass but that said it is a very good lens for getting to grips with the camera. A training lens perhaps. The new model is IS is apparently a good improvement.

The next lens you should buy is the 50mm f1.8:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243340
    It's a super sharp prime with very narrow depth of field that will introduce the wonderful world of aperture to you. Its also excellent in low light.

Don't worry about an external flashgun just yet.
    Get to grips with what you have. Then worry about more complex lighting.
    You can do a lot with the pop up flash such a second curtain sync and you can make homemade diffusers.

In terms of a telephoto lens there are a lot of options in the 50 to 300 ish range.
    this ranges from the second kit-lens 55-200 and its 55-250 IS replacement. There is also a 70-300 (all of these are f4.5/5 iirc). None of these are stunning lenses but are all fairly cheap. I got some nice results with my 55-200 in good light.

Then there are the L series telephotos. the 70-200 family comes in four versions. f4, f4 IS, f2.8, f2.8 IS (increasing in price in each step). They're big heavy, expensive, white attention attracting things but they're fabulous lenses.

But don't go mad looking for a super telephoto lens. Look for a good lens in the 18-55mm range. Don't be afraid to look at primes. macro lenses and wide angle lenses.
    A good place to start is with the 18-55 and 55-250 kit lenses. This way you have the significant focal lengths covered. From here you can decide what you need better lenses for. Canon do a bundle with both these lenses and the battery grip.

This is a very good source for lens reviews:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Advertisement