Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT throttling

• 23-09-2009 4:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, has anyone come across BT throttling a connection when the usage monitor doesn't say the account is being throttled?
    My downloads average 30-50Gb/month, I'm on the Option 3 package, and yet I'm seeing a sudden and marked drop in speed here, down to ~20% of normal:
    572375471.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm with BT also and have a 7.6MB connection, I've downloaded just over 1GB this month so far and my speeds have been bad the past few days :confused:

Speeds for me the past few days vary from over 1MB to under 3MB.

572379173.png

572380818.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i havent noticed any speed drops at present.

But my limit is 30gb per month, i am currently at 29.99gb this month.

If i go over, do bt charge/ fine you for the MB you go over

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

No they dont charge you a fine, but they will throttle your download speeds for about 30 days afterwards.. happened to me inadvertently, was downloading a few items, left my laptop on over the weekend and unknown to me was sharing it, racked up nearly 150GB of downloads even though the items I was downloading were only about 2GB in total.. got screwed for a month.. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Option 2 here.

576419996.png

Usage at about 29GB this month.

Tracert showing any clogages?

Sparks, why don't you just wait to use the nice fat HEAnet pipe tomorrow? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Options 3

576744758.png

Usage is about 284gigs in the last 30 days. But I'm not throttled.

I often get this speed at peak times lately. So is this not normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Option 3 here
    578831084.png

Downloads = 99.96 gig this month.
    This is a first as I normally would do 30-40
    If they bring in their "Fair usage policy"
    what do they define as fair usage?

Are they legally entitled throttle me like this?
    if so,
    Are they legally entitled to charge me for 7.8mb broadband while knowingly supplying an inferior speed?
    Need to know today before i ring them to cancel my account with immediate effect ( after 8 years being with them )
    Where do I sign up? UTV ??

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

At least you can get online. The past 2 or more days my modem has been stuck in the "Ready to Connect" state.

The advanced status menu states that the line is connected and synced, but just that there is no actual connection available. stuck using a friends wireless at the moment.

Advertisement