Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Evolutionary Step?

• 23-09-2009 7:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

So Darwin’s right and all you “Intelligent Design” people are wrong so what would you want our next step be?

Webbed feet to deal with rising see levels?

More UV resistant skin?

Telekinesis?

or just something like balls that can function on the inside?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Built in coffee percolator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Technology is going to determine the fate of humanity before evolution gets much of a say.

That aside, evolutionary adaptation is dependent upon environment, so without knowing the future environment we cannot predict the future adaptations.

I'm hoping for telekinesis though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,634 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Our dicks to grow to 3 feet long so we can inflate(or deflate) ourselves in times of severe flooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Could do with some more pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Unlimited sets of teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The ability for most people to use their brainpower. Far fetched but possible.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

galwayrush wrote: »
    The ability for most people to use their brainpower. Far fetched but possible.:rolleyes:

We'll know at the 2012 general election.
    If FF get back in then we know that evolutionary, irish people have gone backwards and we're doomed.
    In 50 years the monkeys will be our masters..

actually hasn't that happened already? goddamn apes :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sporks for hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

That we might stop biting the inside of our cheeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Doc wrote: »
    So Darwin’s right and all you “Intelligent Design” people are wrong so what would you want our next step be?

We've little or no "natural selection" to weed out the poor genes.
    Maybe more resistant immune systems are the most immediate need.

But the human race isn't getting any smarter on average cos the stupid people of the world are reproducing as much, if not more.

Biggest factor in human evolution will be sexual selection, what women go for. So expect the average height to continue up.
    Also, with declining sperm counts across the entire natural world due to certain plastics mimicing female hormones, maybe there'll probably be a sperm arms race. Only the most fertile men will be able to have children unless artificially helped ( no, not by beer )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I think it's going to go the other way.

There is such a pharma culture developing all over the world where people are taking drugs and treatments for everything.
    Were getting paranoid about every little germ, sickness, and flu.
    Obsessed with organic naturally germ free food.
    going for the doc with the slightest sniffle and temperature.
    Substituting our bodies with vitamin pills, anti oxidants and lactose casio immunitas or whatever.

I think out immune system is going to be completely shagged in a few generations.
    It's just going to forget how to deal with the real world itself.

Swine Flu should be stored for future use as a WMD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Built in USB port, its positioning would be interesting though......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

An extra arm would be handy for bringing more drinks from the bar in one run. Even a small pringles arm to start with.

The ability to bring 4 girls to orgasm simultaneously.

I'm not greedy, one more would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I think we'll be giant super beings, and I don't think we'll have hair you see, I think we'll be completely hairless, and I think at the end of the day, what will happen is, we'll be all more of less the same, but with bigger hands. And eyes. And sex organs. Look in the back of a spoon. In the bathroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUNRzlf37x4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

If this wasn't after hours I'd say earlier puberty, later menopause and multiple births would become more common. Medical advancement allows practically any genetic condition to survive & breed so the advantage will be with those genes which breed most.

But since it is after hours: Our toes will grow longer until we can use a keyboard and mouse with our feet while our hands look after stuffing our faces with pizza and beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Built in USB port, its positioning would be interesting though......:D

You mean Jerry Jalava? Been there done that, though it's not exactly naturalistic evolution, more like unnatural selection :pac:

pierrot wrote: »
    I think we'll be giant super beings, and I don't think we'll have hair you see, I think we'll be completely hairless, and I think at the end of the day, what will happen is, we'll be all more of less the same, but with bigger hands. And eyes. And sex organs. Look in the back of a spoon. In the bathroom.

AHA!!
    I knew it,
    Evolution at work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Larger and stronger thumbs due to texting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

It's going to take a looooong time, but, we will all be the same colour eventually. Probably a nice coffee colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Gills.

Mutations!
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Sporks for hands.

A good thing, only if they're titanium though.

Something like this is very much guess work at this point. I do seem to remember a story though from Africa where a certain tribe has grown immune to a certain disease after years of people suffering from it. Can't remember the precise details but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

we'l form an imunity to hangovers.

Who is good at photoshop/paint. I vote we have an artist impression of the future human up here by the end of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Gills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Wierdly, scientist has said that babies are being born with slightly longer thumbs because the use of phones, texting , game consoles ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Wierdly, scientist has said that babies are being born with slightly longer thumbs because the use of phones, texting , game consoles ect

Do you have a source for that? Because I call bulls$t! Evolution takes place through natural selection. Show me any selective pressures that would dictate longer thumbs as an advantage to the species?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Mena wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that? Because I call bulls$t! Evolution takes place through natural selection. Show me any selective pressures that would dictate longer thumbs as an advantage to the species?

+1, total BS.
    There is no way that any substantial evidence could be gathered from only one generation. Along with the fact that I'm fairly sure women dont chose men to mate with by the length of their thumbs. Well I hope not anyway, I've got stubby thumbs... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

No, I just remember hearing it on a news article.

I ain't an evolution expert, I think humans adapt to their environments just like plants and animals do. So it makes sense that that would start to happen. Maybe they are exaggerating their findings but it makes sense that it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

We're gonna evolve little arms at the small of our backs to be able to reach for toilet paper, which somehow is always behind us..very Monty Python but just watch..it'll happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

An extra pipe in the neck. That way we'd have one pipe for breathing and the other one for eating and drinking. That'd way, I'd possibly never choke or shut up :)

Advertisement