Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Astronomy Observing Session in Skerries Sept. 25th. @ 9PM

Options
  • 23-09-2009 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭

For any of you out there interested in Astronomy, North County Dublin Astronomy Group will be holding a free observing session at Red Island in Skerries, Friday night, September 25th. from 9PM til 12AM.

We'll have people on hand to show you around the night sky and fill you in on what's visible to the naked eye. We will also have some telescopes available to let you have a closer look at some of the more interesting sights like Jupiter and the Moon. No equipment is necessary but if you have a pair of Binoculars or your own telescope then feel free to bring them along. We'll do our best to answer any questions you have.

This is the second meeting of the North County Dublin Astronomy Group. We hope to have more over the coming weeks and months. We've set up a facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...d=132352033317 which we'll keep updated with meeting dates and times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I joined the facebook group. Don't think I'm gonna make this one unfortunately. :( Fighting on Saturday so I'll probably be getting an early night on Friday. I may pop along for the early part though (weather permitting of course).

I think it's cool that you're doing this by the way. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Thanks
    Where in Skerries is Red Island ?

If driving from Dublin, you come in to Skerries under the railway line and at the roundabout you go ... ???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Turn left at the roundabout by the bridge & go straight until you reach the Monument in the center of town. Take a left at the Monument & this brings you to the harbour. Keep going as far as you can & this will take you to the car park at Red Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes, as HillBilly said. We'll meed up just opposite the car park. There's a grassy area which you cross and we'll be set up down on the path by the sea.

Here's a link to a map that dae322 posted on another related thread that shows the viewing site:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=111812468238086830711.000471ab8cd79ace7296f

• Advertisement

Tonight's meeting is going ahead. It's a small bit cloudy out there but we'll take out chances!

I couldn't make it in the end (could barely keep my eyes open after the weigh ins / refuel). So how did this go?

Saturday night looks like it would have been a cracking night for it. Lovely clear skies last night.

Couldn't make it, sorry. But was a fantastic night for it based on the skies up The Blackhills. The Milky Way and Andromeda were amazing.
    I hope all went well.

Thanks to all who came along on Friday night. Unfortunately we got clouded over shortly after 10PM which meant we were all packing up after 10:30 when it became evident that the cloud wasn't going to disperse. We had a good turnout though, much more than at the last meeting. Hopefuly we can maintain that for the next meetup. We had some of our audience stolen by some people launching Chinese Lanterns from one of the swimming areas beside our location. You know when you see those against a black sky flying into the distance you can believe all those UFO sightings really!!!

Short but good night all in all. Again thanks to all who came along and especially those who brought your scopes out.

Fair play for organising it. I'll definitely head along to the next one. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement