Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Lane extension on Amiens St-Why?

Options
  • 23-09-2009 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

It don't make sense. Have you seen it?

They painted the left most lane from the Luas tracks down to the pedestrian lights southbound as a bus lane.

That means all other traffic is squashed onto 2 right lanes. It just so happens that these lanes are continuously blocked as most traffic in these lanes turn right onto Georges Quay over the bridge.

So if you are turning left onto City Quay, join the neverending queue in the 2 lanes due mostly to the College Green bus gate.

And to top it off, most buses turn right, not left at the bridge so they have to queue to squeeze onto the packed right lanes if anyone lets them in and this is blocking the bus lanes in the first place. The only benefit of this new bus lane is a tiny minority of buses that turn left!!

Make sense now?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Maybe they should add another bus lane on the right hand side and leave the centre lane for private cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lovely idea:rolleyes:

Lets have tailbacks going back 5 miles which will do nothing to help the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

gurramok wrote: »
    They painted the left most lane from the Luas tracks down to the pedestrian lights southbound as a bus lane.

I thought that bus lane had been there for months, if not years?

I'm not sure there's much demand for a bus lane there but the 128, 151 and some of the express routes all go straight at Connolly instead of turning off onto Talbot St. Perhaps a yellow box and bus lane in the right most lane would be better since any buses that do use that stretch of road turn right onto Burg Quay anyway.

No, its new. It might have been painted last week though, still new!!

Yeh, no regular Dublin Bus buses use that lane, its there to facilitate Connolly buses. Its an own goal to me, anyone travelling on that stretch of road would notice that, ludicrous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Correction #1- Bus and cycle lane.

Correction #2- the 'neverending queue' isn't due to the bus gate, it's due to all the cars on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

that lane is brand new and serves NO purpose at all as far as I can see except channelling road traffic badly

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Correction #1- Bus and cycle lane.

Correction #2- the 'neverending queue' isn't due to the bus gate, it's due to all the cars on the road.

#1 - it was always a cycle lane. I even reported a pothole there recently which was promply covered up! (they added a bus lane recently to the section in question)
    #2 - it is a major north-south crossover, you are going to get alot of cars no matter what, happens in the best of public transport provided cities. Bus gate made it alot worse.

That new bus lane is actually anti-bus. Go on it and watch what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

gurramok wrote: »
    That new bus lane is actually anti-bus. Go on it and watch what happens.

I was on it this morning on a 27x and am happy to report that I was wrong and it made a huge difference despite the few cars near the end that insisted on driving in it.

It knocked another 3-5 minutes off my (now) 20 minute journey from Oscar Traynor road to College Green. We flew down Amiens St and merged easily between the memorial light and the bridge. The only delay was a taxi driver who overflowing from the taxi rank at Connolly and blocking the entrance to the bus lane.

Must of been luck markpb. There was a couple of buses stuck in that lane yesterday past the lights hence the posting the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I have not seen it, but it could be an idea to have the bus lane go across the bridge, and then set up the lights to allow the buses in the left most lane on the bridge to turn right towards O'Connell Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

markpb wrote: »
    I was on it this morning on a 27x and am happy to report that I was wrong and it made a huge difference despite the few cars near the end that insisted on driving in it.

The cars are still allowed on it as it hasn't formally been opened yet! I suspect they'll wait until the IFSC exit onto Amiens St is permanently closed in a few weeks. And to echo other posters, the whole area including the quays and bridge has become a lot worse since the bus gate opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Beckett Bridge will remove a lot of the traffic from Amins Street to the south east.

Advertisement