Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gout - help me please people.

• 23-09-2009 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

hows it goin? as i write this thread im in pure agony with the big toe on my left foot. and its due to a gout problem i have. ive been to the doctor twice and hes given me anti inflammetories. they work for a while then i get another shot of pain. and sometimes i might be fine , but if i go to walk or run for a while i get a shooting pain again. so i dont know if it really is gout or could it be a fracture.. all i know is that my foot is throbbing.
    also do any of you guys know of anyone around waterford that i could go to that could tell me what foods to stop eating etc. i cant go on living like this forever. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Didn't the Doctor tell you what foods to stop eating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I had a friend who had it and was told not to eat caviar:pac:

Here is a link that might help

http://www.fitnessireland.ie/healthnotes.php?org=fi&ContentID=1023001

diet changes

http://www.fitnessireland.ie/healthnotes.php?org=fi&ContentID=1295006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Did the doctor prescribe you anything else i.e. painkillers or gout medication like colchicine?

Has it been confirmed by blood test as being gout?

I am prone to it. Have a bout of it at the minute (the first in a long time).

Got it confirmed as gout, got the proper meds and were a Godsend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I think Long Term Illness might be a better home for this.

LTI Mods, if this isn't suitable feel free to drop me a line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Staying on providing medical information only - if the pain doesn't settle - go back to your doctor because although NSAIDs (like diclofenac (voltarol/difene) and ibuprofen (nurofen)) work well - sometimes other agents like colchicine and steroids can help - discuss it with your doctor.

Blood tests for uric acid can help to diagnose - but you can get gout with a normal level!

Gout is a terrible nuisance - but if your doctor is happy it is gout - treatment for the exacerbations do work well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement