If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

37"-40" Samsung or Sony Full HD LCD

Options
  • 23-09-2009 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Looking for a new Full HD LCD for games, bluray, and divx on the PS3 as well as a PC input for watching stuff off the PC.

I think 37"-40" would be best, and i like samsung and sony. Do ye have anything in stock?

I bought a samsung LE40A636 from Richersounds a few months back and am really happy with it. Looking for something similar but a little less expensive, around the €600-700 mark.

Can ye help?

Cheers
    K

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

kgiller wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Looking for a new Full HD LCD for games, bluray, and divx on the PS3 as well as a PC input for watching stuff off the PC.

I think 37"-40" would be best, and i like samsung and sony. Do ye have anything in stock?

I bought a samsung LE40A636 from Richersounds a few months back and am really happy with it. Looking for something similar but a little less expensive, around the €600-700 mark.

Can ye help?

Cheers
    K

K,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We do stock the excellent LG 37LF7700 (its out of stock but due in next week) this is an excellent full HD set which is also UHF/VHF, MPEG 4 and the killer bit is that it also has Freesat HD built in - we do that at £599.95 / €679.99 and I would recommend it highly.

Alternatively (and you knew this was coming) if you want a really high spec model (one that will relegate your Sammy to the back room...) and you were prepared to push the boat out a little we can do the 37PFL8404H at just €899.99 less your Boardies 10% Philips Shop discount to give you a base price of €809.99 - let's call it €799..AND this includes a 4 year warranty from Philips as well!) If you see the posts on Boards from any Boardies who have these - they are M E G A - the technically identical 32" 7404 has just walloped the competition in a What Hi-fi supertest (November 2009 issue) and the 8404 adds great NET access and ambilight on top of the 7404 spec - and it looks beautiful with a really slim bezel/surround and excellent Audio quality.

Have a look - keep me posted and if we can asisst in any way just drop me a line

Thanks and again apologies for the delay in getting back to you,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Hey John,

Thanks for the help. I went into a TV shop in Cork to check out the Philips PFL378404H in the flesh before getting back to you. They had 2 on display in the shop, 1 marked at €899 and 1 with a price tag of €639 on it. I asked the salesman if it was the correct price and he said that it wasnt, it was a misprice, but he would honour the price on display, and then very quickly removed the pricetag.

So i jumped at the offer. Came with a 3 year warranty for €639.

Just wanted to say thatnks to John for the help and the suggestion, only set up the TV yesterday but seems brilliant. I would have bought it from ye but i couldnt pass up the offer. Dont worry, il continue to tell everyone i know to go to ye for their electrical needs as ever.

Just one thing, can you suggest what settings to use on the tv. Theres loads of different options for the settings.

I need settings for
    PS3 (HDMI)
    - bluray movies
    - games
    - divX movies

PC input (VGA)
    - divX movies and tv shows

Any suggestions?

Hey John,

Thanks for the help. I went into a TV shop in Cork to check out the Philips PFL378404H in the flesh before getting back to you. They had 2 on display in the shop, 1 marked at €899 and 1 with a price tag of €639 on it. I asked the salesman if it was the correct price and he said that it wasnt, it was a misprice, but he would honour the price on display, and then very quickly removed the pricetag.

So i jumped at the offer. Came with a 3 year warranty for €639.

Just wanted to say thatnks to John for the help and the suggestion, only set up the TV yesterday but seems brilliant. I would have bought it from ye but i couldnt pass up the offer. Dont worry, il continue to tell everyone i know to go to ye for their electrical needs as ever.

Just one thing, can you suggest what settings to use on the tv. Theres loads of different options for the settings.

I need settings for
    PS3 (HDMI)
    - bluray movies
    - games
    - divX movies

PC input (VGA)
    - divX movies and tv shows

Any suggestions?

Killer Deal €639! - WE STILL WOULD HAVE PRICEBEATEN THOUGH - But it really is a great price - by the way there is a 4 year warranty on the 8 series - don't be fobbed off with a 3 year warranty - if you need us to get you sorted just drop me an email to johnmc@richersounds.ie and I'll get you sorted.

I've asked Ash the TV anorak to revert to you and post his musings on the 8404 settings - the standard setting is a disaster and to get the best out of it (and as you can see it's a beauty) you have to go into full tweak mode!

Thanks again for the post & the kind words and drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

Kgiller - nice FLICKR photos BTW!

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Kgiller

try these as a starting point - It's what I use in the shop on the 42PFL7404.

Its' copied from a older post......

Hi Folks

Had a little play about with our shop demo 42PFL7404H and have made note of the setting. As the 42PFL8404 is the same TV these will apply for it as well.

Now keep in mind our showroom is a little brighter than the average living room, so the Brightness, contrast and colour settings will need adjusting to suit your viewing room....

so here we go

Go into SETUP on the TV

Select INSTALLATION ->PREFERENCES -> LOCATION and select HOME

Now go into -
    SMART SETTINGS selesct PERSONAL (VERY important - change away from Vivid or any other preset mode - PERSONAL will let you set up each input optimally for each source - your settings for DVD will differ from the ones to get the best from Blu-Ray or NTL etc)

Now go to
    PICTURE settings (this is where all the fun is to be hadsmile.gif)
    Contrast = 77
    Brightness = 60
    Colour = 47
    Sharpness = 1 (very high out of the box, around 6 - makes things look a little "peaky" turn it down)
    Noise Reduction = OFF (try ON for NTL etc)
    Tint = Normal

PIXEL PRECISE HD settings
    HD Natural Motion = Minimum
    100Hz Clear LCD = ON
    Advanced Sharpness = OFF
    Dynamic Contrast = Minimum
    Dynamic Backlight = Best Picture
    MPEG Artefact Reduction = OFF (on for older DVD's or NTL/Sky boxes)
    Colour Enhancement = Minimum

So there you go, simple!! smile.gif

Try these as a starting point and fine tune from there. Keep in mind that the various settings used for your BR Player will differ from those needed to get the best out of a DVD player or your Sky/NTL did boxes...Dont even think about plugging a VHS machine into these - they looked rubbish on a 21" TV and you should be embarrased to be using VHS in 2009biggrin.gif (retro is Cool with LPs NOT VHS...)

Please feel free to post up setting that you find work for you so other Boradies can fine tune their TVs

FINAL WORD

Please DONT rely on the FACTORY SETTINGS - the TV is capable of SO much more. Spend time twesking and it will reward you for years to come.

atb
    Ash

note with Games you may want to truy with 100Hz switched off - I have a mate with a (cough) Sony Tv that prefers 100Hz mode of with his PS3 but on with movies - as ever a matter of personal taste.

The above should get you close to heaven.....

Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Killer Deal €639! - WE STILL WOULD HAVE PRICEBEATEN THOUGH - But it really is a great price - by the way there is a 4 year warranty on the 8 series - don't be fobbed off with a 3 year warranty - if you need us to get you sorted just drop me an email to johnmc@richersounds.ie and I'll get you sorted.

I've asked Ash the TV anorak to revert to you and post his musings on the 8404 settings - the standard setting is a disaster and to get the best out of it (and as you can see it's a beauty) you have to go into full tweak mode!

Thanks again for the post & the kind words and drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

Kgiller - nice FLICKR photos BTW!

John Mc & Crew

would ye have price beaten on a misprice? The guy in the shop said he didnt have to offer me at that price but would, and said he would give me 30 seconds to decide. I took 5 mins to think about it and got back to him to take the deal. Maybe i should have rang you first :)

He said it had a 3 year warranty, and said he would have to send it off to me when they got them. I guess il have to ring them and see what the story is.

Thanks for the help. If you want il give YOU a good deal on buying some photos ;D

PS
    Thanks for the settings Ash. Il give them a go and mess around. Il post if i find some good settings.

• Advertisement

would ye have price beaten on a misprice? The guy in the shop said he didnt have to offer me at that price but would, and said he would give me 30 seconds to decide. I took 5 mins to think about it and got back to him to take the deal. Maybe i should have rang you first :)

He said it had a 3 year warranty, and said he would have to send it off to me when they got them. I guess il have to ring them and see what the story is.

Thanks for the help. If you want il give YOU a good deal on buying some photos ;D

PS
    Thanks for the settings Ash. Il give them a go and mess around. Il post if i find some good settings.

If the competititor could confirm the price either in writing or over the phone and they had the stock and were prepared to supply it - yes we would - however to be fair to the competitor they are not obliged to do the deal if the TV was genuinely mispriced so yuo have to give them credit for that! ON the warranty front - I'm sure that when you get the docs back, so long as it's an 8 series - Philips will sort it out for you and do the 4 year warranty.

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.