Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tiger balm

• 23-09-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Is this stuff any good? Do you use it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jason Mc wrote: »
    Is this stuff any good? Do you use it?

I use it all the time and find it pretty good stuff.

Although the white Tiger Balm is suppose to be weaker, I prefer it and get greater relief than the red Balm.

Also before training and competition I put a tiny amount in my nose to open my airways.

Mostly I'm using it on my fingers as I suffer with Osteoarthritis in all the joints of my fingers on both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bellg124

I use it whenever I get strains from training. The white one works best for me too. It's particularly good for muscle strain.

Just as a follow up, and forgive me for going slightly off topic, but!...

Today, for the first time I've tried the new Nurofen Gel and honestly, nothing comes close for spot pain relief.

Tomorrow I'll try it on my troublesome finger's and report back, but so far for an upper back injury its brought great relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

Where do you buy Tiger balm, is it widely available?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I used to use this stuff called enzyme ice which cools the area.

I had a groin strain one time and was a little liberal with how much I put on.

Let's just say I was howling like a banshee on speed for about an hour

• Advertisement

Jason Mc wrote: »
    I used to use this stuff called enzyme ice which cools the area.

I had a groin strain one time and was a little liberal with how much I put on.

Let's just say I was howling like a banshee on speed for about an hour

LOL, don't go near the groin with Tiger Balm!..

Johnny if your going to buy it get the Balm from Boots, its the proper Tiger Balm - and believe me there's some nasty Balm being sold in some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭jonny oxford

Johnny if your going to buy it get the Balm from Boots, its the proper Tiger Balm - and believe me there's some nasty Balm being sold in some places.

Ok will do, you reckon the white one is a better option than the red? I intend to use for general pains/strains after training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Today, for the first time I've tried the new Nurofen Gel and honestly, nothing comes close for spot pain relief.

+1, it's great stuff - painkiller and anti-inflammatory, I've used it on fingers, toes, knees and ears when they start to flare up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dunphy09

tiger balm is excellant ye believe it or not the time i bought it i got it at a local poundshop lol
    but have ent seen it around in a while
    thai oil is also very good and another herbal treatment im using now its by far the strongest i have used its called woodlock amazing stuff

dunphy09 wrote: »
    tiger balm is excellant ye believe it or not the time i bought it i got it at a local poundshop lol

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dunphy09

i used it and it worked perfect tho lol there was nothin wrong with the balm??
    was the red one too so i dunno?ha

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

Tiger Balm is great for everything but if you want any sort of pain relief dealt with quickly I would recommend FASTUM gel. It's fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

I use Tiger balm all the time! Best thing since sliced bread IMHO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Z4K

i use deep heat rub after muay thai training, burns like a mother in a good way but it does the job. Does tiger bam burn?

Z4K wrote: »
    . Does tiger bam burn?

Only when its 2 years out of date, lol..

No, it doesn't burn unless you get it into your eyes or around your nob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

a mate of mine recently advised me to use liniment oil he orders it from thailand anyone ever use this b4? he definately stands by it.

00MARTZ00 wrote: »
    a mate of mine recently advised me to use liniment oil he orders it from thailand anyone ever use this b4? he definately stands by it.

yeah i heard of it b4, my mate buys it online uses it b4 training, has a pretty strong smell to it. i dont know of any place that sell it in ireland as they only make it in thailand u ave to order it.

i know this may sound retarded but, does it smell nice?

i know this may sound retarded but, does it smell nice?

Haha i can understand why you might ask. to be honest smells alot like deep heat but yeah it is very strong smell.

where can i buy a tub, how much does it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

You guys do realise that "liniment" just means "rubbing lotion"?

The smell and effects of a liniment are going to vary widely depending on what kind you get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Muay-Thai-Boxing-Relieve-muscle-Liniment-Oil-3-x-60-CC-/320652482711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa8609897 thats the stuff that my mate uses not sure if there is any other stuff that is similar.

You guys do realise that "liniment" just means "rubbing lotion"?

The smell and effects of a liniment are going to vary widely depending on what kind you get.

Actually i didnt know that. i just know thats the stuff that my mate uses. to be honest i had no idea what "liniment was or meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

00MARTZ00 wrote: »
    Actually i didnt know that. i just know thats the stuff that my mate uses. to be honest i had no idea what "liniment was or meant.
    That stuff looks like it's pretty much the same as Deep Heat spray. Not sure about the strength, but at 31% methyl salicylate, I'd say there's a fair belt off it -stronger than the Deep Heat. It looks a bit pricey though.

you can buy thai oil on fight shop.com its like 11euro delivered for a 120ml bottle. is 120ml musch though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Horse and cow linament are used quite a bit in powerlifting lads, just another one to consider!

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=492

• Registered Users Posts: 28 simon-king

I find tiger balm has more of a cooling effect (menthol) ... I've found it great for general muscle aches ..most pharmacies stock both red and white €5-€6 ish... if my get muscle spasms tho in my dodgy shoulder I tend to steer away from it and use heat with something like voltorol gel or traxam gel if I have it ...

In some extreme cases of general muscle aches during circuit/strength training though ... I've seen our coach reccommend TTFU .. Toughen The Fc*k Up ... not for me though :D

Just bought tiger balm red 19g in boots for 6 pound (on holiday in uk). Just applied some on my foot and its quite similar to deep heat with the deep burning sensation but has a better smell almost like cinnamon. I found that the jar is tiny considering it cost 5 pounds but it works well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Just bought tiger balm red 19g in boots for 6 pound (on holiday in uk). Just applied some on my foot and its quite similar to deep heat with the deep burning sensation but has a better smell almost like cinnamon. I found that the jar is tiny considering it cost 5 pounds but it works well

You can buy it for way less in those Euro stores! Huge mark-up on prices in pharmacies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Bridgestone gym in abour hill sells boxing linament from thailand, for my money the strongest of the oils. Doesn't have the pain releif though.

So for an injury I'd go with Nurofen gel, everything else I go for the oil.

Advertisement