Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP contact form not working on a diff server

• 23-09-2009 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I've just transferred a new website to company's server. It was first tested in my own server -> fully operational. Now on this new server my contact form just doesn't work - it's a pretty standard PHP form script I've used with success on numerous websites.

I guess there must be something in the settings of the new server (Apache, PHP 5 installed) that interferes with the script. I can't change anything on the server myself but I can ask the server admin (if I know what it is).

Any ideas please?

ETA: I have PHP 5 on my server too so it's probably not a PHP 4 -> 5 thing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If you posted your code it might make it easier to figure out.

At a guess, it could be your use of short tags?

Are you using something like <?=$terms;?> instead of <?php echo $terms; ?> ?

Servers aren't always set up to support the short method, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thanks for your help!

It's a freeware script, I adapted values and styles but not PHP code itself:
    http://www.planetluc.com/en/scripts_contactform.php?countlink=contactform&url=%2Fdownloads%2Fcontact_1.5.php.zip

I've never had problems with it before and I consider it a trusted tool.

I wonder if there are any PHP sendmail settings the server admin should look at? PHP was only installed recently so maybe some configs were left out?

BTW by not working I mean that after you submit the form the e-mail never comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

mhge wrote: »
    BTW by not working I mean that after you submit the form the e-mail never comes.
    Oh right, that's probably not a short-tag issue then.

Ask you server admin to check that PHP mail() is enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

What's happening?

By the way, it isn't using globals by any chance. Sure that everything is accessed via $_POST[] for example?

I must admit that I know nearly nothing about PHP itself, I simply use and configure ready made scripts... :(

The script seems to work, I can see a "thank you etc" message but then the e-mail never comes.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    Ask you server admin to check that PHP mail() is enabled.

I will cheers Goodshape.

• Advertisement

It's hard to know what is wrong. Any chance you could post the script? Is it a free one?

Webmonkey wrote: »
    It's hard to know what is wrong. Any chance you could post the script? Is it a free one?

Yes I posted the link above.

Start by a simple test script:

[php]
    <?php
    mail('youremail@site.com, 'Test Email', 'Testing');
    ?>
    [/php]

Execute this and see do you get an email. Check your spam folder - email is now coming from a different mail server.

Thank you, I tried but no results and no e-mail!

Luckily it turns out that the issue was caused by SMTP setting on the server and the script was OK.

I really appreciate your help in finding this out. Cheers!!

Good stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement