Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens party questions?

Options
  • 23-09-2009 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Yet more help needed please!

I would like to host a childrens party for my daughter and her friends. She has just started school this year. There are 10 girls in her class- is it normal to invite all ten? I don't want to leave anyone out if that's the norm.

Also what is the best time of day or day of the week for a party? Is it normal for them to be in the afternoon after school, say on a Friday or at the weekend? So would 3 or 4 in the afternoon be about right? And do you tell people how long it is for? Like until 6 or 7?

Really sorry for the silly questions but it is all new to me and I have had such good help here before!:o

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its normal to invite about that amount, but you dont have to invite everyone if you dont want to. You tell them where and when it starts, and when to pick the kids up. 2 -2 1/2 hours is normal. Party bags are expected when leaving. :) Any day of the week is usually fine, leave it about an hour after school ends.

Be aware that the mammies will leave and come back, so make sure you have contact numbers for each parent, as the kids are still young. And have reinforcement adults there to help you. Its bedlam!

If you can afford it, a playzone is a good idea for your first party as it takes a lot of the work out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Regarding the day I find saturdays better as those parents who work outside the home might have difficulty getting their little darlings to your party. The timing is important - before 2 and you might be expected to provide lunch, and after 5 you may have to put up a more substantial meal, so I always go for 3-5pm! When it comes to food, don't expect the children to be very interested in the food, stick to fairly basic stuff (pizza, cocktail sausages - in small rolls for hotdogs or by themselves - etc).

10 girls is quite a lot, though you might be lucky and find some can't come! Also don't expect the parents to RSVP, it was a revelation to me that most don't bother so you may not have a clue who is coming.... but make sure you have at least 1 other adult with you for moral and other support.

Simple party games are fine at that age, they are happy to just run and play together. I gave up on pass the parcel as someone always cried when they didn't win... (sometimes my own child!) but musical statues or blindmans buff etc all work well at that age. Or have a theme - disco parties were the rage for a while, or a fancy dress...

Best of luck!

Advertisement