Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying from Camera box uk

• 23-09-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi anyone here ever buy gear from camerabox.co.uk?

Was looking for some gear and they seem to be the cheapest but dont know much about them.
    So if anyone has had any experience of them would be glad of the advice

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I wouldn't ... but read the reviews for yourself. The good ones seem too good to be true and the bad ones are frightening( imho):
    http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.camerabox.co.uk

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews-all-159866.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

great find,
    they seem legit [to me]
    Domain info

Domain name:
    camerabox.co.uk

Registrant:
    Alicia Butler

Registrant type:
    UK Individual

Registrant's address:
    Garden Cottage
    36 Cowper Road
    Boxmoor
    Hemel Hempstead
    Herts
    HP1 1PE
    United Kingdom

Registrar:
    Fasthosts Internet Ltd [Tag = FASTHOSTS]
    URL: http://www.fasthosts.co.uk

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 09-Feb-2004
    Renewal date: 09-Feb-2010
    Last updated: 11-Jan-2008

Registration status:
    Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
    ns1.livedns.co.uk
    ns2.livedns.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Hint - wait until "search" is re-enabled on Boards and check it out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Just received the HF S100 HD camcorder from Camerabox. They seemed cheapest.
    Ordered at 8.15am last Thursday and it arrived (in Dublin) on Friday morning at 10.00am. Pretty feckin impressive if you ask me.

This is the only item I've purchased from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I'm sorely tempted to buy my first DSLR from these guys, but I have read too many horror stories online. To be fair to them, they could be totally legit, and the occasional problem gets blown out of all proportion. But my gut says stay away...

With the euro heading towards parity with the pound, I'll be happy enough to go with a more reputable UK dealer I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

I'm sorely tempted to buy my first DSLR from these guys, but I have read too many horror stories online. To be fair to them, they could be totally legit, and the occasional problem gets blown out of all proportion. But my gut says stay away...

With the euro heading towards parity with the pound, I'll be happy enough to go with a more reputable UK dealer I think.

by coincidence, I posted a thread about them today also - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055710403

They spent the past wek telling me lies and now it looks like its going to be a nightmare to try and cancel the order. They have nothing in stock, I'm guessing its a one man operation from a house. They have been igoring my emails and when I used MSN messenger to chat to them live, they went off line all day.

Have a look at these folks
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk

They seem to have a great rep and the prices are very good. Also buying from the UK right now is seriously cheap as stg weakens against the euro.

Just read the other thread after posting here dnme, and I'm sorry to see you've been getting such a raw deal. Despite doing plenty of buying online, I've been pretty lucky with all my transactions so far (though none have been for photographic items).

Thanks for the Calumet link - they look pretty decent! I was also contemplating Warehouse Express. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with either of those outfits? I may even consider a day trip up north, as I see Calumet have a Belfast branch!

I may even consider a day trip up north, as I see Calumet have a Belfast branch!

was thinking that myself, headed from Galway if you're ever interested in sharing the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rodg3

dnme wrote: »

Have a look at these folks
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk

They seem to have a great rep and the prices are very good. Also buying from the UK right now is seriously cheap as stg weakens against the euro.

Wow, impressive. what's the catch? Are these cameras refurbished or brand new?

they seem to have a good rep on other forums. They also seem to have good feedback on their ebay shop. The prices might have something to do with exchange rates atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

was thinking that myself, headed from Galway if you're ever interested in sharing the cost

I have used Calumet in Belfast a few times and was very happy. Only dealt over the phone and they deliver by courier. I got my Nikon D700 and Nikon 70-200 f2.8 lens from them and saved loads.

Yeah, because eying up the D300s there it domes in at about €1300 (body only)

just wondering what the shipping would be like?

Wow, thanks dnme :)

Alas I'm in Dublin, so will probably get the Air Coach up for €20 return :D

Rodg3 wrote: »
    Yeah, because eying up the D300s there it domes in at about €1300 (body only)

just wondering what the shipping would be like?

they are a big outfit, they also have a .com US site. Have a look at their store locations. They operate a major bricks and mortar side of the business. If you are buying gear atm, buy if from the UK, stg is on its feet - literally almost on a par with euro

May do as Sasquatch is thinking... make the trip up to Belfast for the day and see how things are up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinor

I bought a D3000 (http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductName=Nikon-D3000-Digital-SLR-18-55mm-VR-+-55-200mm-VR-Twin-Kit--&ProductID=9844) from them a few weeks ago and had no problems, delivery was quick and the day I placed my order they rang me to check my card details, and my camera arrived a few days later.

eoinor wrote: »
    I bought a D3000 (http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductName=Nikon-D3000-Digital-SLR-18-55mm-VR-+-55-200mm-VR-Twin-Kit--&ProductID=9844) from them a few weeks ago and had no problems, delivery was quick and the day I placed my order they rang me to check my card details, and my camera arrived a few days later.

yea they rang me the next working day to check cc details also (strange, no other retailer does that). and they said on the phone - "thanks very much, you will have that order tomorrow."

That was lie #1 of many

folks

If I do venture up to Belfast to buy kit, am I better off getting sterling at my bank first or spending euros in the shop up there (if they take them) ? or des it make any difference ?

Personally, I'll get sterling in my bank before heading up. Even if some stores do accept euros, there's no gaurantee that they'll be using the most current exchange rate - look at online stores that offer items in multiple currencies; the difference between the sterling price and the euro price will be far greater than they should be with today's exchange rates.

Anyway, just noticed that Jessops have the camera I'm after, at the same price as Calumet, so will probably go there now, simply so I can have a shorter round trip (going only as far as Newry)!

Advertisement