Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Tea Cup Yorkie

Options
  • 23-09-2009 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Anyone know where i can buy a Tea Cup Yorkie Pup. I've Googled it but seem to come across scammers looking to take my money without ever having a pup for sale.
    I'm living in Dublin & would prefer a male yorkie. I'm also hoping to find one at a low cost or free even !!
    Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I would tend to stay away from people that advertise teacup pups, generally they are either puppy farmers or byb's. You'l never get one at a low price or for free unless you manage to find one in rescue. They usually have a number of health issues such as overcrowding of teeth in their mouth and organ problems. No good breeder will intentionally breed for teacups, yorkshires are small enough as it is. Have you tried contacting the IKC for a list of breeders of yorkshires? IKC isin't a mark of quality but its a good place to start looking.

If you post this in the animals & pet issues forum you'l get more response.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭r*oc

Tanx for your advice Dee. I suppose if i could get a miniature pup, i'd be happy with that, so if anyone can help/advise, i'd be very grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If you're looking for a free pup, best place is to start with shelters and the likes of DSPCA/ Ash Animals, etc. Yorkies aren't hard to find, we got one from a shelter before (didn't last with us though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

tea cup yorkies are just small yorkies not a seperate breed and as dee said they can have problems. Regular yorkies are rarely free and a rescue will expect a decent donation. If you are looking for a free yorkie you need to make sure it's not because you can't afford to pay for one, if you haven't the money to pay or donate something for one then what will happen when you get the usual vet bills etc. that come with a dog.

Yorkies do come into rescues but usually adults the occasional smaller one but not very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Please be careful getting a pup described as "tea cup". Normally it's the female runt of a litter who is bred although she really shouldn't be siply because she's too small to have a litter herself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

dee o gee wrote: »
    I would tend to stay away from people that advertise teacup pups, generally they are either puppy farmers or byb's.
    Sorry to go a little off topic but what does "BYB" mean?

I would tend to stay away from people that advertise teacup pups, generally they are either puppy farmers or byb's. Sorry to go a little off topic but what does "BYB" mean?

Sorry to confuse you! I think its an american term, it means Back Yard Breeder, a bit like a puppy farmer but on a smaller scale, like somebody who breeds there family dog to make a quick buck without doing all the health tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

BYB = backyard breeder, ie someone who's not really professional.

Indeed you can't really expect a pup 'for free' I did mean earlier that to adopt one (with donation etc) rather than fork out a few hundred for a purebred (that may not be one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Got it,thanks,and thanks Star Pants for tidying that up. Everyday's a school day when you're as PC illitirate as me.

Scroll down the page down to Ollie, lovely little 10 month old yorkie if you interested in going down the rescue route: http://www.irishanimals.ie/terriers_homes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Scroll down the page down to Ollie, lovely little 10 month old yorkie if you interested in going down the rescue route: http://www.irishanimals.ie/terriers_homes.html

Awh hes so cute! We have 4 yorkies small ones 2 males and 2 females (we do not breed them). They are great pets. Temptation of Ollie must stop looking at him :eek:

Advertisement