Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone actually enjoy being wasted?

• 23-09-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I am 18 and have drank since I was 17. Usually I never drank more than enough to get me tipsy.

Then after my 18th birthday I had way too much vodka and was completely trashed and as sick as a dog all night. I've barely drank since. I can't understand how so many people willing do that to themselves. Personally, I found being that drunk a horrible experience. I wasn't aware of where I was, I was very disorientated and dizzy and a complete mess. Spent the rest of the night throwing up. First and last time I'll ever get that drunk. There was nothing enjoyable about it.

Now I barely drink, completely lost the taste for it and would rather spend my money on other things. If I'm going for a night out I might have three alcopops and no more. Tipsy is just fine for me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am 18 and have drank since I was 17. Usually I never drank more than enough to get me tipsy.

Then after my 18th birthday I had way too much vodka and was completely trashed and as sick as a dog all night. I've barely drank since. I can't understand how so many people willing do that to themselves. Personally, I found being that drunk a horrible experience. I wasn't aware of where I was, I was very disorientated and dizzy and a complete mess. Spent the rest of the night throwing up. First and last time I'll ever get that drunk. There was nothing enjoyable about it.

Now I barely drink, completely lost the taste for it and would rather spend my money on other things. If I'm going for a night out I might have three alcopops and no more. Tipsy is just fine for me :)

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 24 and have actually never been that drunk and i don't want to be either. It just doesn't make sense to me why anyone would want to drink to make themselves sick. How is that fun? And then people act like it's a badge of honour if they have a hangover....it's beyond me it really is. The most i've ever been is slightly tipsy but that's it. I just don't see the point - at least i remember the night before if i do go out!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

As above, some people think that everyone else thinks their macho for getting pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    As above, some people think that everyone else thinks their macho for getting pissed.

Exactly!! can't see the appeal of drinking until your locked. I hate the whole "go on have another one, your not driving!!" as if the fact I was not driving allows me to drink myself silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Usually I never drank more than enough to get me tipsy.

Then after my 18th birthday I had way too much vodka and was completely trashed and as sick as a dog all night. I've barely drank since.

The trick is to find a happy medium ;)

I like getting fairly pissed every now and again, but not so much so that i am vomiting and being an asshole or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

As far as I understand, and from my experience as a non drinker, 'drink', talk of drink and talk of getting 'wasted', 'smashed', 's^%t faced', 'bladdered' etc etc is a common experience that people of our age group have, its something that the majority can connect on and a good conversation topic. 'Shall we talk about politics, or the recent arts show.......no, we'll talk about how we went out last night, got off our faces, fell about the place, got sick, didnt remember the night, but, hay hay! What a fun ol' night it was' (tounge lodged firmly in cheek there! :D.

But no, like I said, it just seems to be something that people can connect on, its what a lot of people do, if you 'do it' then your in the 'in' crowd and can share your drunken antics (or lack there of as you probably wont remember them :p) and god forbid should you be a non drinker or one whom drinks in moderation, well, you are left to yourself to discuss politics and/or the recent arts show :pac: I believe there is something missing, something about us Irish that makes us drink in such a manner that we do, we call it 'having the craic', but its a little more serious than that isnt it. I think a lot of people are afraid of admitting true passions in life, afraid to be themselves and thus conform to the crowd and do as the bunch does, thats sad in a way and I have a hell'ova lot of respect for people whom dare to be different!! :o.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yes, some people do enjoy getting wasted. I actually know somebody who admits to not liking the taste of alcoholic drinks but drinks anyway in order to get drunk.

Personally I don't understand the reasoning. And it's not limited to teenagers/early twenties people either, I know people of all ages who think the same. In the mornign when they're dying of a hangover they say "never again", but of course it's never the last time - do they not take that in to account the next time they go out to drink?

I've been pretty pissed two or three times in my life, but it was never worth it for me. In fact, the hangovers were never that bad, so it wasn't that which put me off, it was being drunk, like the OP said, feeling sick, room spinning even with the eyes clothes, can't walk, can't speak - why do that to yourself? Since then the most I've drunk is to get tipsy (two drinks would be enough for me), as it's just not worth it to drink more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

thorbarry wrote: »
    The trick is to find a happy medium ;)

I like getting fairly pissed every now and again, but not so much so that i am vomiting and being an asshole or anything

+1

Advertisement