Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

montessori or primary teaching

• 23-09-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

HI,
    I was hoping to get some suggestions or ideas regarding primary school teaching versus montessori teaching.Im 25 yrs old and have qualified as a general nurse and a children's nurse but I am now thinking that I would like to go into either primary school teaching or train to be a montessori teacher.
    The only problem is that I dont have honours irish which seems to be what a lot of people are having problems with.I've heard of a one post grad course that you can do in Glasgow and then when you come back to Ireland you have to sit an Irish exam but yu dont have to do honours irish in leaving cert.Is this true or does anyone know anything about this course?The other option is to go back and sit the leaving cert irish and then try to get into the post grad course in St.Pats or with the Hibernian online course but sounds like a lot more years of study!
    The other area I was thinking of was montessori teachng.I've heard there is a one year post grad you can do in this aswel.Does anyone know anything about this?Is there a similar course you can do in Scotland that would be recognised in Ireland?I kinda like the idea of studying away for a year or so.The only thing that is putting me off montessori is that I have heard the pay isnt great,is this true?Although, I would prefer working with younger children so maybe montessori would suit me better.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I think the exam you do when you come back is called the SCG. You can do it after just about any primary course in the UK. It's meant to be pretty tough. But if you start working on the Irish now you should be fine by the time you finish up in the UK.
    No idea about montessori, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chips2009chips

HI,thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

You could do a 1 year Montessori teaching Diploma course with Portobello. I did and loved it. There is no Irish involved.

Advertisement