Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st Bike! & Restrictions

• 23-09-2009 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi..Im thinking about buying a bike.. I have an idea of what i want but im not sure i can buy it due to provisional licence restriction(which i've read but dont fully understand)..

I dont want to buy a 125cc..i'd prefer a larger bike. with an upright seating position. I really like the Honda Deauville or something similar. if it was possible to start on a bike like this i would..who wouldn't!. I think this bike has power output or 48KW and weighs 236Kg but with power to weight ratio would it be possible? what power/wight ratio is a good guide to follow?

www.hondaireland.ie/Touring_NT700_ABS_Specifications.HTML

also would anyone be able to list off some similar bikes that i could consider.
    any advice would be welcome.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know a load of people who have/had them whilst on a provisional. Dont know if they where restricted or not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The deuville is an excellent bike, and would serve you well. It will have to be restricted to be legal though as it is a bit too powerful.

The only thing against a newish one is that there is a lot of plastic fairings and paniers on it which may get damaged in any learner incidents.

If you can pick up an "older" one it'd work out well cost wise. They are shaft drive which is great for low maintenance, and the insurance should be low enough (given that it won't benefit from any factory restriction discount).

Similar bikes to that would probably be the Bandit S, TDM or africa twin (maybe a bit big), or perhaps the Transalp or VStrom (650). The latter, Bandit and possibly the transalp are most likely available as Factory Restricted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

thanks guy's i appreciate it..that list of bikes is excellent..exactly what i have in mind.

I forgot to mention, i will be looking to buy 2nd hand. where should i start looking?

What sort of milage should i be looking at when buying 2nd hand? i dont know much about bikes at all to be honest.

how many miles does a bike engine last?

is it likely i would find any of these 2nd bikes already restricted?

and if so, can the engine output be converted back to its factory spec when full licence and 2 year driving has been achieved? would this cost much?

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

you are much better off selling a fr bike as fr because they retain their value. I sold my fr sv 650 for a 1000 for equal money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I forgot to mention, i will be looking to buy 2nd hand. where should i start looking?

Try adverts.ie, donedeal.ie and biker.ie for 2nd hand.
    You can find already restricted bikes, but as mentioned they go for a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

I posted a few weeks back, regarding the Deauville, it was to be my first bike, and .........i went and bought it. Went for my first spin last Saturday, did a touch over 150 miles with two lads on Goldwings, no bother.

It must be restricted to ride on a prov licence, but it still goes well, cruised at 60-70mph fine, very easy to move about, great bike. I fitted a high screen, so no windblast, loads of protection. Honda stuff is just good and reliable.

I bought a 2000, model, restricted, with 40k up, paid €2'500 from an ad on Donedeal.

So look around, there are plenty of them availble, and all i can do is endorse the Deauville, good bike for a learner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

nice one alfa. Are you sad you didnt get into biking years ago. Great bike them.

Yeah Seanybiker, should have got one years back, really enjoyed the day out on it, of course it helps when the weather is fine, i'll admit to being a fair day biker as i'm just starting out. The guys i go out with are all on Goldwings, so i have a bit of catching up to do there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The guys i go out with are all on Goldwings, so i have a bit of catching up to do there.

ah well, at least when the Goldwings pull in to wait for you they can have the kettle on for a cup of tea :p

You know, i was surprised, that even restricted, the Deauville will keep up no bother, it'll sit very comfortably at 60-70mph, and its pretty nimble through the twisty stuff. Obvioulsy unrestricted it won't be as stretched i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You know, i was surprised, that even restricted, the Deauville will keep up no bother, it'll sit very comfortably at 60-70mph, and its pretty nimble through the twisty stuff. Obvioulsy unrestricted it won't be as stretched i guess.

Getting to 70 or 80 mph is relatively easy for nearly any type of car/bike. Getting above that is where the power is required and if you want to break the ton then lots of power is required. AFAIK air resistance doubles as your speed increases.

Advertisement