Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my kitten bonkers?

Options
  • 23-09-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

i adopted a kitten from DSPCA yesterday and all is going pretty well, kept him in one room until today, got up early so i could spend time with him before work etc...
    this evening though, he seems to be running around like a maniac, not just playing but looking at the wall, meowing and then running really fast and jumping all over the ground floor of the house.....
    has anyone else experienced this? it's not happening constantly, the majority of the time he is just sitting on my lap happily purring and sleeping...
    he was not on his own for too long today as i had a short day in college and i made sure he had plenty of toys, water, dried food and what not, the room he was in is big and he was not distressed when i came home or anything...
    thanks, sorry for the rambling post!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

tfak85 wrote: »
    i adopted a kitten from DSPCA yesterday and all is going pretty well, kept him in one room until today, got up early so i could spend time with him before work etc...
    this evening though, he seems to be running around like a maniac, not just playing but looking at the wall, meowing and then running really fast and jumping all over the ground floor of the house.....
    has anyone else experienced this? it's not happening constantly, the majority of the time he is just sitting on my lap happily purring and sleeping...
    he was not on his own for too long today as i had a short day in college and i made sure he had plenty of toys, water, dried food and what not, the room he was in is big and he was not distressed when i came home or anything...
    thanks, sorry for the rambling post!

Oh this is just the way kittens are- my guy was the same and he still does it sometimes. Its just kittens sleep most of the time and when they are awake they get sudden bursts of energy and fly around the place

its actually funny to watch but dont be surprised if you find him climbling your curtians they are feckers for it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Lol yes kittens are bonkers :)
    They do tend to bounce around, and can be skittish (especially in a new home) and will literally climb curtains and things so be careful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My youngest (who is certainly no longer a kitten) does this weird parkour (sp?) type thing where he jumps sideways, plants all four feet on the wall and kicks off it, then lands again. This posture is conducted with ears flat and backbone bristling. Looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mine used to start facing away from curtains, and start running clockwise around d room, by the wall opposite the curtains he was running matrix-style sideways on d couch, and then would keep his speed going getting higher and higher til he ended up on top of the curtain rail. Was incredible to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I wish mine would run up the curtains - he's partial to running up your legs !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

thanks for the reassurance everyone, he is quite content now, asleep in my boyfriends arms.....

zuroph, if you could perhaps make a little video of your cat centrifuging up the wall it would be great!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds perfectly normal kittens and young cats especially but some older ones as well, have mad moments usually at night but can happen during the day too. Great fun to watch esp. if there's more than one they get up to all sorts perhaps getting a buddy for him then you'll have double the madness but they could let off steam together.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

This is quite normal, our new kitten does it and also our old cat used to get like this especially around twilight and also if she needed a poo for some reason?

Advertisement