Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax Bill from Oz

• 23-09-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone can help me. I was in Oz from Jan - May 2009 working for three months. I applied for tax back and then a bill came in the door for $1200. Apparently I filled in the form incorrectly and stated that I was a resident for tax purposes which I thought was the right thing. If you are in Oz for less than six months - then you are not a resident for tax purposes. Taxback.com told me this today.
    My employer refuses to help - they put me on a resident rate. The tax office in Oz are pretty unhelpful stating I have to pay it. and are adding interest at a rate of 10% compound interest daily!!! eek!
    Does anyone know if they come after you over to Ireland - really can't afford to pay it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭TaxingTimes

I don't know much about Australian tax, but I would suggest that you submit a revised tax return, that is correctly completed.

Whether you do this yourself or get someone else to do this for you is your choice.

If you don't sort it out, they may cont come after you here for it, but it will certainly go on your record and may cause you or members of your family problems in the future if they want to go to Australia.

Just another point to note, although you may get tax back in Australia, as an Irish resident (assuming you are domiciled in Ireland) you will be taxable in Ireland on this income, and you need to declare it to the Revenue.

You will get a tax credit for Australian tax paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I've some experience of the tax authorites in Oz- I have found them quite unhelpful on the phone to be honest as a lot of the people that handle the phones haven't a clue about tax.

Put your details in writing and send it in- you're not resident if you are there less than 6 months

Here's a quick overview

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/64131.htm

Advertisement