Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting to three

• 23-09-2009 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭

Right so, I'm sick of Meteor. Every so often I get a text saying I have missed a call when the phone hasn't even rang, and the person ringing is sent straight to voicemail. I also have poor coverage issues around Dublin county.

I've decided to port over to three. I'm pay as you go, so can anyone tell me what the process is? I fill out the form on their website and then do I have to use the three sim or will I continue to use the meteor sim? Will I be sent login details for MyThree?

Also, is it easy to port out? I'm going with three due to both vodafone and o2 being complete rip offs for pay as you go customers. However, I know how bad three can be and I may wish to port out again (o2 is next on the list).

Also can anyone tell me, do both three and o2 have facilities to top up via text through a laser/credit card once you have it set up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Right so, I'm sick of Meteor. Every so often I get a text saying I have missed a call when the phone hasn't even rang, and the person ringing is sent straight to voicemail. I also have poor coverage issues around Dublin county.
    Have you logged these issues with Meteor at all?

I've decided to port over to three. Most would disagree (if you look at other threads) but their pricing is pretty good.

I'm pay as you go, so can anyone tell me what the process is? I fill out the form on their website and then do I have to use the three sim or will I continue to use the meteor sim?
    Yes, you'll use the 3 SIM then. Your quickest option is probably going into a store I would imagine.

Will I be sent login details for MyThree?
    Once the port is complete you can register yourself on the website

Also, is it easy to port out? I'm going with three due to both vodafone and o2 being complete rip offs for pay as you go customers. However, I know how bad three can be and I may wish to port out again (o2 is next on the list).
    As easy as calling into O2 / Meteor / Vodafone to port you back.

Also can anyone tell me, do both three and o2 have facilities to top up via text through a laser/credit card once you have it set up?
    Three don't have online topup facilities except via www.3v.ie - I THINK the only other option with them is buying a voucher or ringing customer care and asking them to apply credit manually doing a credit card transaction. O2 support text topup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

best way is to go into the store and pick up the sim there (they will put through the porting request for you and register the sim for you), to log into my3 you need to register first. You enter your number and the last 6 digits of the ICCID (you will see this on the sim pack below the original 083 number), a text will be sent to you with a password. You use this password to log in then you can change the password to something you will remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Elessar wrote:
    Have you logged these issues with Meteor at all?

[/B]

I agree with Random, get on to Meteor about it. Also, poor coverage could be down to a handset/sim issue, so make sure to rule these factors out.

Regarding the call catcher service, I think its quite handy! Lets you know whan someone gets through to your voicemail and doesn't bother leaving a message. And if you don't like it just call your voicemail (171, its free) and there is an option in there to deactivate the call catcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I've had problems with Meteor where people trying to ring me went straight to voicemail. Got onto them numerous times and got fobbed off with SIM card / handset / incorrectly setup voicemail, even though both my sister and brother, who are meteor, suffered the exact same problems on different handsets. Finally gave up and ported to Vodafone and surprise surprise, no such problem anymore! Meteor's network seems to have some capacity issues if calls aren't getting through.

BTW. If you are porting to Three, your handset MUST be 3G capable!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have been with Three for a couple of years and decided to move to Vodafone.

Went on line and filled in the details, SIM arrived but port did not happen.

Rang Vodafone, said Three blocked the port with a adata mismatch.

Rang Three and they said I had to give 30 days to cancel my phone even though it is out of contract.

SO I can't port the number. Waiting from someone to ring me abck from the disconnections team tomorrow.

When I challenged the persin in the indian call centre he could not answer me and asked me to take it up with the disconnection team when the ring.

They must have changed the terms and conditions as I moved another phone from them a year ago with no problems.

Also canceled my mobile broadband, also out of contract and I had the same issue.

Don't go you will be stuck with 30 days notice to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Thanks for the replies.

Believe me I do not get excited at the thought of moving to three, but aswell as the low prices they are the only provider offering decent internet bundles to PAYG customers. 1gb for €10. I don't need it at the moment but I will...

Their prices are 30c/min for calls and 5c texts. In comparison, O2 are 35c/min and 13c a text (I only top up about €10 a month). Vodafone about the same. And no data bundles. Maybe I'm better off staying with Meteor...but the voice problem is such a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Weigh up your options certainly, but personally, I'd contact meteor about your issues before upping sticks, to see if anything can be done (a handset change from Samsung to S.E. improved my meteor reception recently).
    Try contacting their customer care on the phone about your problem, or, if you actually need to use those 8 hours you'll spend on hold, try raising it on the meteor forum :

http://forums.meteor.ie/

While their customer service team aren't going to win any awards anytime soon, even if they peed on you, beat you with pointed sticks and robbed your wallet, you'd still feel better after dealing with them than you would if you dealt with 3's.

dingding wrote: »
    Have been with Three for a couple of years and decided to move to Vodafone.

Went on line and filled in the details, SIM arrived but port did not happen.

Rang Vodafone, said Three blocked the port with a adata mismatch.

Rang Three and they said I had to give 30 days to cancel my phone even though it is out of contract.

SO I can't port the number. Waiting from someone to ring me abck from the disconnections team tomorrow.

When I challenged the persin in the indian call centre he could not answer me and asked me to take it up with the disconnection team when the ring.

They must have changed the terms and conditions as I moved another phone from them a year ago with no problems.

Also canceled my mobile broadband, also out of contract and I had the same issue.

Don't go you will be stuck with 30 days notice to leave.
    The OP is considering pre pay so there is on such thing as 30 days notice, also the only reason a network will stop a port is due to an outstanding balance on the account. If you port without giving your notice you will get billed for another month (the 30 days) on top of what ever is owed. The data mis match means that what ever information vodafone have passed onto 3 when requesting the port didn't match what 3 have on their records. If they had agreed to the port then they would have been in breach of data protection. On another note don't believe the thing about the 30 days. That was just their rep telling you that as they didn't know why the port failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I've been looking to amoving to three to (bill pay)

But there seems to be a lot of negativity around them - is that just people jumping on the "bashing 3 bandwagon"? Or are they genuinely not v good?

By "good" I mean:

- is their coverage good?
    - is their 3g coverage / speed good
    - do calls get dropped / missed?
    - anything else!?

If anyone is with 3 and knows this stuff please lemme know before i decide to go with them or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

yip there's a lot of bashers around boards, i'd nearly consider it a conspiracy...i'm with them over 3yrs and have had problems, but the last 12mts I haven't had a bother...

• Advertisement

But there seems to be a lot of negativity around them - is that just people jumping on the "bashing 3 bandwagon"? Or are they genuinely not v good?

By "good" I mean:

- anything else!?

If anyone is with 3 and knows this stuff please lemme know before i decide to go with them or not!

Coverage is good, I have had no issues with them and have been with them years. Their 3G coverage is no more or less than the others I would imagine. In the years I have been with them I have had I would say no more than 3 or 4 dropped calls. Their customer care department lets them down but I have never had the need to really use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I checked the terms and conditions and it says I ahve to give 30 days notice.

Comreg agreed that I had to abide by Three's terms and conditions.

Seems anti competitive that they would allow this.

Still waiting for the call back within 24 hours regarding the disconection from the disconnection team.

dingding wrote: »
    I checked the terms and conditions and it says I ahve to give 30 days notice.

Comreg agreed that I had to abide by Three's terms and conditions.

Seems anti competitive that they would allow this.

Still waiting for the call back within 24 hours regarding the disconection from the disconnection team.
    Giving 30 day's notice before leaving even when out of contract is standard across all networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

By "good" I mean:

- anything else!?

Here are the main issues off the top of my head:

- While their 3G coverage is ok, you can not use data when you are not in 3G coverage. 3 users roam on Vodafone in areas with no 3G coverage and 3 does not have data roaming enabled with Vodafone. This alone is a killer as far as I am concerned.
    - As already mentioned in this thread, if you are on prepay, you can only top up by buying a voucher. There is no online top up, except using a 3V card. No text top-up.
    - Their customer support is bad. Really bad. What I mean by this, they often can't even answer basic questions.
    - They censor their internet access. You have to reconfigure your phone and change the APN to an undocumented one to be able to visit all internet sites. No, it is not only adult sites being blocked.

Advertisement