Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possibly moving to Sligo..need advice plz!!!

• 23-09-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey i am a leaving cert student, living in Dublin. When I finish school Im considering going to St Angelas College, Sligo to study home economics. Il have to move to Sligo but ive never been there before and I dont know what to expect! If anyone could tell me about sligo, what its like, things to do, NIGHTLIFE, people etc would be greatly appreciated!! :D Thanks! :) also any info about the college would be great 2!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tr3eHugger

Hi,

Im from Kildare and I moved to Sligo 2 years ago. I was really freaked about it as I knew no-one there and didnt know Sligo at all. But I can honestly say its one of the best places in Ireland, its like a hidden diamond that no-one knows about. The nightlife here is great- the pub Shenanigans is a good one. Sligo's full of pubs and full of culture. The scenery's incredible, its got a river running through it, its got forests, lakes, mountains and beaches. Hahaha! As you might have guessed I really love Sligo :D You'll have no problem making friends as everyones in the same boat, going college for the first time, and moving away from home. Unfortunately I don't know much about Angela's, but a friend of mine goes there and she seems to like it!

If you've got any other questions about Sligo though let me know!

I hope that helps! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 _Gracieee

Wow! wasnt expecting that..sligo sounds alot better than i thought haha. Thanks for that! Im going to Angelas open day in November so il get a chance to have a look around sligo for myself :D

Do you go back home to kildare regularly, like at the weekends? Is is expensive to travel up and back to sligo?
    I was jus thinking it might be a bit stressful spending the week up in sligo, then having to come home at weekends, and try and fit in study aswel and try to make time for other activites like clubs, sports etc. :confused:

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

_Gracieee wrote: »
    Do you go back home to kildare regularly, like at the weekends? Is is expensive to travel up and back to sligo?

I was working in Dublin for a while so I was regularly commuting between Dublin and Sligo. The train is around €40 for a return ticket. I can't remember how much the bus was but it was around €20, maybe a bit more.

When you're going to the open day, you could stay up for a few days and take a look round sligo. It'll let you get a taste for the place and see how it suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

The train is €44.00 return but with a student travel car it costs €32.00 I think. I'm not sure what the bus costs.
    Irish Rail often have special offers on their website, I have gotten tickets for €10.00 and €22.00 so keep an eye on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭catrina101

Hey i am a leaving cert student, living in Dublin. When I finish school Im considering going to St Angelas College, Sligo to study home economics. Il have to move to Sligo but ive never been there before and I dont know what to expect! If anyone could tell me about sligo, what its like, things to do, NIGHTLIFE, people etc would be greatly appreciated!! :D Thanks! :) also any info about the college would be great 2!

Hi i'm studying home ec with irish if you want to ask anything about it! I'm in 1st year so i'll help you as best I can :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 _Gracieee

oh really, cool...whats angelas college like? and how are you finding the course? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jenny_Q19

Sligo is absolutely brilliant, I went there for four years and cried the day I left!! Night life, people, everything is just great fun!! I'd go back tomorrow NO PROBLEM!! Do it, you'll regret it if ya don't!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Caoisinsane

i am going to sligo and i prob sound insane but i need a good social life to survive? is sligo the place to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

To Caoisinsane- yes, Sligo has brilliant night life
    I know nothing about the College or its Clubs/Socs- just know that I'v had some of the best nights out in that town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I am sure if you google Glencarraig housing estate in Sligo you will be able to see first hand what student life in Sligo is like.. best of luck!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 thelongwait08

Hey Graciee, I was born and have lived in sligo most of my life, if there is anything in particular you need to know just let me know and i will advise you best i can, but really sligo is a really chilled out place with a nice mix of people, it has had its bad share of press over the last number of years but where hasn't.

st angelas college has had a massive surge of money injected into it over the past 6 years and the college itself is situated right of the edge of lough gill, which is a beautiful lake that engulfs the landscape,

W.B Yeats has called Sligo the land of hearts desire ,

it takes 10 minutes to get to st angelas from the town centre and a bus runs from the corner of ard nua every morning at like half 8 to bring students to the college.

Advertisement