Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Sharing (as such !)

Options
  • 23-09-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Going unreg for this.

I work for company A which is part of what I might describe as a 'Franchise' even though it isn't.

Now I work very closely with other 'Franchises' in Ireland and when I got talking to the Managing Director in company B - he explained the person in accounts is from an accountancy firm on a 3 day week - and is invoicing this company a MASSIVE amount on a yearly basis.- which by the way I know could be done in 2 days MAX without a shadow of a doubt as I have been doing it in a much bigger company for over a year.

He has put out feelers to me to see would I be interested in like a job share-ish basis that I work 2 days with him and 3 days with the other company.

I am very discreet and believe in confidentiality and have no issue's myself working for the two company's - but I was wondering how does it work and has any one else done it. I was thinking in the current climate I know it would help my company as they wouldn't have to pay me as much.

Thanks a confused gal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unless you've left something out, that's not job-sharing. It's just you taking on a second job.

How many days a week do you currently work for company A? Is there anything in your contract that says you can't work for other companies, or without their permission.

Provided you have the time available, and there is nothing in your contract, I cannot see why this is even a question: go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

as "Just Mary" the first thing to investigate is are you allowed under your current contract. If your not then well done job no2 for you.

The only issue next is you tax etc. would you be hired by the second company as a PAYE or as a contractor?

Whats easiest for you is to be PAYE employment in both. You will have to either split your cut off evenly or pro rata to your earnings. If job A gives you a third of your weekly take home then give it a third of you cut off and so on. However you cannot split your credits so again get out your caclulator and figure out which is best then contact the tax office.

If you can there is the option to leave well alone and then claim it all back next year in Jan/Feb however that depends on your personal circumstances.

the other option of becoming a contractor will possibly leave you a little better off but with a lot more paper work and no employments rights from job B and the need for end of year returns etc to the revenue.

good luck

Advertisement