Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orb - Baghdad Batteries (Orbsessions Volume III)

Options
  • 23-09-2009 9:40pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Alex and Thomas back together for this new release, anyone got it yet or heard it? I have as always spent more than I can afford on CDs this month but will have to bag this one regardless...

OrbBag.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/Orb-Baghdad-Batteries-Orbsessions-Volume-III/release/1870783
    Reunited for the first time since 2005's Okie Dokie It's The Orb On Kompakt, Alex Patterson and Thomas Fehlmann have set about recording brand new material for this third Orbsessions installment (the last two of which have been composites of older fragments of material hauled out of the vaults). As you'd want from a new Orb release, the album is a dense flow of ambient sounds, vividly rendered by these two most seasoned of producers in the field, but there's an unexpected disco-styled twist to the record that takes hold of tracks such as 'Super Soakers' and 'Suburban Smog' that really nails the zeitgeist for ethereal dancefloor sounds and heavily layered psychedelic loops. It wouldn't be entirely untoward to to suggest that Panda Bear has had some impact on the sound of this album. You might even suggest that beyond The Orb's usual audience (who are unlikely to be disappointed with the likes of 'Dolly Unit' and 'Orban Tumbleweed'), anyone who's found themselves intoxicated by the hazy 4/4 sounds of bands like Air France - and of course, The Field - will appreciate much of Baghdad Batteries. It's as sumptuously well-assembled as ever, but this new set from Patterson and Feldman finds The Orb sounding more tuned into the current musical climate than you might have expected.
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=226342

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

nope, don't have this yet ... but if I get to Dublin tomorrow and it's in any of the shops I encounter you can be sure I'll be snagging a copy. Failing that, it will be bought as soon as her indoors is not paying attention.

Sadly, they were supposed to be premièring some of this music in Kilkenny recently afaik.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I haven't been able to find a copy... tried Tower, HMV and City Discs in Dublin today and none have it in yet. Wish I just ordered it now from Amazon the other day, would have had it by now :(

Finally got a copy of this today after all these months. Haven't listened from start to finish due to work and kids but will stick the headphones on in while when all is quiet and get a proper listen.

First impressions though are very good!

Had a good listen from start to finish on the headphones and this really is a great album, highly recommended, best I've heard from them in a long time.

I saw a copy of this in Freebird on Wicklow St on Saturday if anyone's interested...

• Advertisement
Advertisement