Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC DOOR LOCK

Options
  • 23-09-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi lads
    How do i know if my door locks meet the bs 3261 standerd?
    No body seems to know anything about them!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 BoxOfTruth

Paddy, I did a bit of reading about this. From what I can see (and open to correction) a PVC door cannot meet the BS3621 standard as that standard only applies to a 44mm (min) wooden door. Having said that, don’t panic, because the now typical multipoint locking systems found on most PVC doors exceeds the older BS3621 standard.
    I would however suggest you look at the actual locking barrel on the door. Most of the standard euro-lock barrels are cheap and nasty. In most cases they can be easily defeated by some aggressive use of a visegrips. There are some much better locks available which are either difficult to break due to having reinforcement in the structure of the lock itself or actually designed to break off but remain locked when damaged.
    I’m no expert on this so have a chat with your local locksmith for some real advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

BoxOfTruth wrote: »
    Paddy, I did a bit of reading about this. From what I can see (and open to correction) a PVC door cannot meet the BS3621 standard as that standard only applies to a 44mm (min) wooden door. Having said that, don’t panic, because the now typical multipoint locking systems found on most PVC doors exceeds the older BS3621 standard.
    I would however suggest you look at the actual locking barrel on the door. Most of the standard euro-lock barrels are cheap and nasty. In most cases they can be easily defeated by some aggressive use of a visegrips. There are some much better locks available which are either difficult to break due to having reinforcement in the structure of the lock itself or actually designed to break off but remain locked when damaged.
    I’m no expert on this so have a chat with your local locksmith for some real advice!!

thanks for your input boxoftruth

paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Agreed. Don't panic. Spoke to senator who installed my doors and windows. Most Mechanisms on PVC exceed STD.

Regards
    pat

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Cheers pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I work as a auctioneer/letting agent, and most PVC door locks are very easy to defeat. The internet has lots of sites showing how to "bump" locks, and places to buy special keys. and its so easy even I managed to do it a few times. Multi point locking systems of no use if you bump the lock, .
    Mack in cavan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

in relation to upvc windows manufactured by Munster, i found the following

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/4/15564/external/AG094657.pdf?ac=

Munster are also a member of secured by design in the uk

http://www.securedbydesign.com/companies/index.aspx

so I would say yes you should have no issues with modern locks on upvc doors with muti point locking system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Hi Cavan Shooter,
    We find that Munster joinery uPVC no better nor worse than other makers, but their range of brass type hinges which they fit on heavy wooden doors are very poor, the door drops a fraction, and then the multi point locking tangs dont line up right, and people have to forceably pull the handle upwards to get the tangs in place. Then the locking strip lasts a very short time. Ask a good locksmith what he thinks.
    Mack in Cavan

Thanks for the heads up on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LOLgoose

I work as a auctioneer/letting agent, and most PVC door locks are very easy to defeat. The internet has lots of sites showing how to "bump" locks, and places to buy special keys. and its so easy even I managed to do it a few times. Multi point locking systems of no use if you bump the lock.
    Mack in cavan

I agree at how easy it is to bump locks. Unfortunately, a lot of people believe that installing high-quality locks can protect them. In reality, they can make you more vulnerable to lock bumping. High-quality locks have smoother mechanisms and that can make using bump keys easier.

Use bump-proof locks instead. I believe a lot of manufacturers now have several bump-proof locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

does anyone else find it a bit odd reading a thread on how to defeat door locks on a public forum related to private firearms ownership.

No ammo in the safe area!!

B'Man

• Advertisement

B man do you think we could teach the scum bag robbing bstards thieves from a deprived background how to break in:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Irrespective how easy this information is to get on the internet i don't think this forum where the members should be more concerned with security rather than defeating it, is the best place for dispaying techniques.

So on that note and the fact its a Zombie thread i'm closing it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement