Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning a Laptop HD with multiple partitions

Options
  • 23-09-2009 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I had a look through the FAQ but couldn't find an answer to my question.

Here's my predicament. I've got a 60gb HD in my laptop and want to upgrade to a 320gb model I've ordered from Elara. I've got a copy of Norton Ghost that I use for backup purposes, this should also allow me to copy over my old drive to the new. So I've got a couple of questions.

1. My harddrive has two partitions, can I copy a drive that has separate partitions or will I have to put it back to one big drive and if so, is this even possible?

2. My laptop has only one hard disk slot but I did get a usb SATA converter for using an internal HD as an external one. Will I just be able to clone the drive and then put it into my laptop and work away as normal?

Cheers guys, I hope that came out clearly, I'm fairly competent with computers but installing and copying harddrives has always confused me a little.

-Bobby.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Depends on the version of Ghost. Most likely you will have to copy each partition seperately, with the MBR being moved along with the OS partition and the data partition going in last so you can use the Resize Drive command to add the spare ~260GB of the new drive to its partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Cheers! It's Ghost 12.0 if that makes any difference. So I'd copy the OS containing partition first, then my other one. Once that's done I'd expand the second one to fill the remaining space leaving me with one original partition and a new one which is 260gb bigger?

Cheers again!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Only if the second partition is the one you're using for programs, data storage etc. as that's the one that needs the extra space. If that's all in with the OS partition then you'd want to shift that last. But in that case what's in the other partition? ;)

Yeah I'm using my C:\ Partition for vista and associated system stuff and my D:\ Partition for all the fun bits. Cool beans, I should be doing this tomorrow evening, I'll post up with how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Have a look at CloneZilla as well.

• Advertisement

UPDATE: Took me until last night to actually get around to doing the job but it worked a treat in the end. I've now got a rake more space on the laptop which is brilliant. Thanks again for the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

I am having some trouble using Norton Ghost, I have a laptop with two partitions.

The OS is installed on a 10GB partition and then there is 100GB on the other partition. The problem was that the OS partition is almost full and is running really slow.

So I have used Ghost to backup the OS partition and I then deleted both partitions to create one partition.

The problem I am having is that when I restore the backup it is coming up as 10GB but I want there to be the full 110GB.

Can this be done?

Advertisement