Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did I see?

Options
  • 23-09-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    Having no experience in astronomy I have no idea what I just saw, so thought this the best place to go :P
    About ten minutes ago, walking home from the bus stop in Templeogue Village on the southside of Dublin, 21:40 or so, I saw something in the sky. It was a fiery orange and flickering and almost certainly outside of the atmosphere. Now usually I'd put this down to see a planet or something else. But what really shocked me was the speed at which it was travelling, far faster than any plane/jet/anything I've ever seen in the sky move. So what did I see does anyone know? Meteor? Shooting star? Satellite?

Just so its known, I'm quite a sceptic so am in no way insinuating some form of E.T. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Lacross 5 (US spy satellite) made a pass pretty much at that time. It wasn't very bright (not close to the ISS), but sometimes Lacrosse 5 looks abit orangey.

Could've been another Chinese lantern, but it's speed would be unusual. It'd also be a big enough coincidence if it was a satellite pass just at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

What you describe could be a bolide. A meteor burning up in the upper atmosphere. They can be pretty spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Hmmm, from pictures in see on Google images, the colour was far more intense than that of the Lacrosse ones, much more orange, and it certainly didn't look like a bolide :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Really? Lacrosse 5 can be pretty orange. The other Lacrosse's appear more the conventional white.
    http://www.tracking-station.de/images/lacrosse/2006-07/lac5-06-07-25lr.jpg
    That shows the orangeyness, you can see it especially towards the end of the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Oh yeah, that looks far more like it now! Thank you very much :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aten

Something similar seen by me on Wed 23rd @ 23.54 in Dublin. on a similar trajectory and speed to the ISS, it had an orange glow and looked like as if it was rotating . Am I alone in this observation ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garser353

I seen a bright orange light in the sky last night at about 2300 and was moving slowly. looked like something burning.

Anyone know what it might have been?

over tallaght in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My father said he saw something bright and orangey in the sky too.. He said it was moving pretty fast. At first I thought it was one of those lanterns, because my friend used to set off a few of them - but he said it was moving quickly so that ruled that out. Must have been that Satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garser353

dlofnep wrote: »
    My father said he saw something bright and orangey in the sky too.. He said it was moving pretty fast. At first I thought it was one of those lanterns, because my friend used to set off a few of them - but he said it was moving quickly so that ruled that out. Must have been that Satellite.

Taught the same myself looked like a flare but was way to high to be one so i dont know what it was :confused:

Advertisement