Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI 5870 Reviews flowing in

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sorry, just thought I'd post a reply as this thread looks so cold and empty at the moment for some unknown reason... :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

feck off :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Anybody seen any information on whether current gen coolers like the Accellero S1 will fit the new cards? From the pics on Fudzilla it looks like much the same setup, but you never know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Okay, I'm digressing a bit, but... something that may interest some of you. techPowerUp did an oddball HD5870 review, with reference to PCIe lane width. The results may surprise some of you :) Full article here.

perfrel.gif

Looks like the way PCIe lane width affects data transfer is relatively universal and seems to scale with very little regard to actual card throughput in some cases! Guess I'll be best off getting a HD5850 for my casemod after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Great article. More "feature checklist" engineering debunked, like 1000w PSUs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Great article. More "feature checklist" engineering debunked, like 1000w PSUs.

Indeed, I bought into the whole "must buy a beefy PSU" myth until I did a bit of research myself. Got out the 'ole multimeter and did some messing around measuring internal power usage (mostly fail) and at the wall. First I trawled the internet to find the theoretical consumption of all my components under max load from the manufacturer's websites. A scenario where all the disk drives, CPU, GPU etc are being pushed to the limit at the same time is, well, never really going to happen.. but anyway. So I performed the most demanding tasks that I would run on a reasonably regular basis. I then calculated what rating PSU I should buy based upon 80% efficiency with a 10% overhead: (All figures are in W)

file.php?id=183

file.php?id=185

As you can see, when I built this PC back in '07, I over specced the PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its not so much a high powered PSu thats needed, but the quality of the brand. You need to have a stable clean supply to the rails that support the hardware....if you buy a cheap power supply you will not get the wattage when needed and bad flucuations that will coz you problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

as for the card,

yes its not what i thought it was going to be, But its all about

[FONT=verdana,geneva]Eyefinity[/FONT]

That makes it worth getting anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Well keeping in mind that the reviews there were done on beta drivers, I was pleased enough.

As for pricing, if this is true, thats not great news for holiday season buyers...

But ofc you could always grab a oh hai we dont have fermi but we can offer you this ... cheers nV... ?

Im glad I took the plunge with the 5870s, fermi is a no show and while hemlock should be available for xmas, its going to be a 1+ grand, 650W (CF) junkie o.O

On a side note, DX11 looks pretty, never thought id drool looking at shadows :O http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F6zSgtRnkE&fmt=22

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

So ATI have been going on about the great shortage of their Cypress based cards recently and of course jumped on this opportunity to up the price, meanwhile nV are spending their time going from melting boards to running in and out of the court room.

But whats this, after the price increase, ATI are looking to go all guns blazing for the holiday season with their soon-to-be widely available Cypress cards (what a great tactic guys)! Also noted at the end of the article was their intention to get Hemlock out by end of month, altho you would think that there would be more than some "leaked" pictures of the new cards (5950 there - last week the 5970), gief reviews?

Either way, the buzz is all about ATI/AMD, they are unrivalled in the GPU sector and with main stream Intel CPU's caught up in the defective mobo fiasco, its going to be a very merry Christmas for AMD :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement