Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur Guinness Day!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why would a bloke called murphy drink Guinness stout?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Iggy Pop

murfie wrote: »
    BUT.......it tastes nothing like home and is poured by a yank! :(

Fcukin' A. I wouldnt pour a yank pint on my arm if it was on fire. Utter shlte.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Why would a bloke called murphy drink Guinness stout?

Ha, i am not prejudice against beers that dont bare my name. ;)

I will celebrate Murphys stout just as much on their 250 years, 97 years from now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Will be heading to the pub for some grub and Guinness in a while. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Ha, i am not prejudice against beers that dont bare my name. ;)

I will celebrate Murphys stout just as much on their 250 years, 97 years from now!
    you'd wat to lay off the drinking if you want to be around then so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

bronte wrote: »
    Will be heading to the pub for some grub and Guinness in a while. :pac:

I suppose you'll be going to the courtyard then, since your location says Leixlip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I'm getting $2.50 in my local :D

BUT.......it tastes nothing like home and is poured by a yank! :(

That's because Guinness doesn't travel:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

some people would do anything the telly tells them to,fecken sheep. "Love day" in the simpsons springs to mind.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Murphyt

Ah its too easy to be bitter! we could all sit around giving out about advertising campaigns and giving in to marketing like christmas etc. But really you should go out and drink whatever you want and enjoy everyone else being happy for a few minutes.
    I had to celebrate this morning at 8 a.m as I am between night shifts and it was glorious, I can tell you now that I am back in work I would give anything to be out having a pint regardless of how much of a sheep that makes me.

Murphyt wrote: »
    Ah its too easy to be bitter! we could all sit around giving out about advertising campaigns and giving in to marketing like christmas etc. But really you should go out and drink whatever you want and enjoy everyone else being happy for a few minutes.
    I had to celebrate this morning at 8 a.m as I am between night shifts and it was glorious, I can tell you now that I am back in work I would give anything to be out having a pint regardless of how much of a sheep that makes me.

different pies for different guys i suppose:D

• Advertisement

guinness pie I hope.

Murphyt wrote: »
    guinness pie I hope.

steak and stout pies amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't you find the popularity of guinness in the republic a wee bit ironic

well i mean in a country in which anti-protestant bigotry is widespread, that a drink created by a protestant should be so popular ...or do the irish conveniently overlook that:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

fryup wrote: »

well i mean in a country in which anti-protestant bigotry is widespread, that a drink created by a protestant should be so popular ...or do the irish conveniently overlook that:cool:

I'm sure the alcohol helps us with the forgetfulness.;)

The old porter house beef and stout stew was a belter.
    As for Guinness being created by a protestant? do we care? Stout like a large percentage of good beers was first brewed in England. Drink is like sport it transcends all politcal and religious waffle and gets straight to the point of humans being human.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BearsyBoo

fryup wrote: »

one of the greatest rebelion leaders was a protestant, the guinnes family were quite good to dublin over the years. Id say people are more anti unionist than anti protestant. whatever it is does it matter?? let people enjoy themselves for once :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    17:59

You've been waiting all day to do that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Great craic today Arthur,heres to nthe next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Just back from town after some Guinness-drinking celebrations. It's nuts in there. St. Patricks day part 2... thousands lining the streets & pubs can't pull pints fast enough.

Tonight Ireland has ended the recession and raised Guinness' stock in one foul swoop...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm celebrating Arthur Guinness day...by going to Amsterdam to drink Heineken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Just back from The temple bar,Id say it was the first time that pub was packed with Irish people!
    wicked night,cant wait for the next 250 years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

whats with all the guinness advertising on the news, as vincent browne just said the biggest drug dealer in ireland getting a national celebration???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I would consider myself a fan of Guinness.

However, I'll raise the following point, was a good idea brought down by irish drunkenness\stupidity or was it just a normal Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

It was the most successful marketing campaign in human history, nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

orourkeda wrote: »

However, I'll raise the following point, was a good idea brought down by irish drunkenness\stupidity or was it just a normal Thursday

Well I'm in San Francisco for the week working and I can tell you that at lunchtime today Foley's bar on O'Farrell street were gearing up for Arthur's Day. They have 'Guinness 250 on tap' and have loads of the usual marketing crap (T-shirts, fridge magnets, special 250 glasses etc) ready for tonight.

I spent over 2 hours there at lunchtime talking to the manager (from Fermoy) and barman (from Donegal), and they're looking forward to it :)

If I'm sober...ish later on I'll log in and let you know how it went over here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Hit,pub was packed all day.2 euro pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

orourkeda wrote: »

Thread merged OP, this one was here already.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ah yes. Got to love the 'Enjoy Guinness Responsibly' tag line while they encourage everyone to start drinking at 6pm.

Just back home and town is insane. Lots of people wandering drunkenly into traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:D

Fair ****s to Diageo's marketing department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Dudess wrote: »
    :D

Fair ****s to Diageo's marketing department.

My Goodness!!:eek:

Their Guinness...;)

Advertisement