Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur Guinness Day!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

orourkeda wrote: »
    It was just another Paddy's day. Teenage girls sticking their bare a*ses out taxi windows and the like.

Pics or gtfo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bluskut

TO ANDREX!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr-McBain

Was in Tripod. They were charging €5 a pint. It was a rip off considering they got free kegs and we already paid for tickets. They wouldn't even let us take any pictures because it was being televised. It finished really early too. About 11ish I think. There were a few 40+ women in the crowd I think hoping for Tom Jones to make an appearance. They had the knickers on standby just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

whats with all the guinness advertising on the news, as vincent browne just said the biggest drug dealer in ireland getting a national celebration???

Fair point. They had this live pub channel in all the pubs being presented by Ronan Keating and Cat Deeley.
    They really should have had Shane Mc Gowan presenting,he really is the 'face' of Guinness after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

mukki wrote: »
    i wouldn't touch it even if arthur himself died

Eh.... I don't know how to break this to you but.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

orestes wrote: »
    It was the most successful marketing campaign in human history, nothing more

ye and thousands of idiots fell for it.sheep is all they are .shows they cant think for themselves:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

My poo this morning was disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

Arthur Guinness Day - Best / Worst Venue !!

I felt this event was a non event in my local because they only gave out one free pint while other venues provide free Guiness from 5 until 9 in the evening.

Did your local enter into the spirit of the event on the day and provide their regulars with free pints or none at all. Maybe they even put up the price of the pint for the event.

I would love to hear your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

anplaya wrote: »
    ye and thousands of idiots fell for it.sheep is all they are .shows they cant think for themselves:pac:

7 Euro for gigs with big acts? Free pints? Good craic? Amazing atmosphere? Good entertainment? Everything is commercial now anplaya, even xmas! Better off grasping it and making it fun.

Yeah, you're right, better off staying in your bedroom in front of the computer.

• Advertisement

bigbadpat wrote: »
    other venues provide free Guiness from 5 until 9 in the evening.

Besides the Storehouse, where gave out free Guinness for 4 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I can't believe Cork bottled it again, they had the beating of Kerry.

Ah well, maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Free Guinness for 4 hours? Amazing! Defo didn't happen in Bruxelles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

i reckon it was bull****, was in ton myself heard nothing bout freebies its dublin remember! it was class though loads were walking around town drinking pints and the guards didnt care

WeeBushy wrote: »
    My poo this morning was disgusting.

+1

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Great buzz in town last night, stayed in Neary's for the night.

Niall Quinn popped in near closing, real nice guy, happy to pose for photo's & chat to us drunken mugs...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Town was brilliant last night, there was great craic to be had. Can't wait till the next Arthur Guinness day. Oh wait.......... may not be around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

or did they not bother with all that morketing ****e back then?

i'd say there was only farmers with the sheep dog beside them sitting in quaint little pubs with a thatched roof in the evening listening to a valve radio or calling someone on one of those oldschool rotary dial phones. if there was an arthur guinness day i would love to see pics from back then

ahh the good old days, how i long to go back to 1950's/60's ireland, everything was so much more easy going then. and no facebook + twitter that alone is a good enough reason to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

There was, my Dad was telling me the story of it earlier. He was at it as a kid, Guinness' put on a big day's celebration for all their workers and families in Iveagh gardens, free food, competitions, races etc. Sounds like a big fun fair type thing, but it was quite a big deal in 1959.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Jicked wrote: »
    There was, my Dad was telling me the story of it earlier. He was at it as a kid, Guinness' put on a big day's celebration for all their workers and families in Iveagh gardens, free food, competitions, races etc. Sounds like a big fun fair type thing, but it was quite a big deal in 1959.

I seen a pub over in London which had the advertising used back in 1959 for it up on their wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

nah, waiting on Dutch Gold Day.

St.Patricks day in Tallaght - where have you been?.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Besides the Storehouse, where gave out free Guinness for 4 hours?

I beleive that happened in
    Graingers (Baldoyle) & Elfin in (Baldoyle /Sutton).

However I was not in either one myself !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i thought town was horrible last night, everywhere was packed, and it was full of drunk studenty types, it didn't feel like a normal night out, seemed to be full of people who usually stay at home. Managed to find a couple of places where you could hear yourself think though thank god, but didn't make it to work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Went down to the pub for a Beamish last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i thought town was horrible last night, everywhere was packed, and it was full of drunk studenty types, it didn't feel like a normal night out, seemed to be full of people who usually stay at home. Managed to find a couple of places where you could hear yourself think though thank god, but didn't make it to work today.

It's called an atmosphere, or a celebration with a party like scenario. Most humans enjoy it, we have been doing it since neolithic times to celebrate various things. There is food, drink, music, talking, shouting, laughing, the odd bit of agro, smiling, reveling....

I didn't honestly think it would be your thing. You still managed to get yourself in to a state that you can't go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Went down to the pub for a Beamish last night.

Hero. Whats it like, I actually never had a pint of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I feel sorry for all the people that didnt allow themselves to enjoy last night because they think they are oh so clever that they figured out its all just a big marketting ploy. So what. Nights like that are few and far between at the moment and I took full advantage and had a blast as did most of Ireland by the looks of it. The atmosphere down outside Grogans on South William Street in Dublin last night was brilliant . For one night we put all the sh!te thats going on at the moment with Lisbon and the recession to the side and just enjoyed ourselves. I say fair play to Deageo for organising it all.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    it didn't feel like a normal night out, seemed to be full of people who usually stay at home.

It wasn't a normal night out. And yes, it was full of people who usually stay at home - otherwise town would be packed like that every Thursday.

Sing it with me now:

Pedant. Pedant. Pedant. Pedant Pedant Pedant PEDANT!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

it just seemed like there were too many drunk people throwing fast food wrappers around the place for my liking, but once i was numbed by alcohol i didn't care anymore. I'd imagine it was like St Patrick's day, but i've never been in town for that.

Advertisement