Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur Guinness Day!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Grand aul night so it was. Thought there was gonna be a riot at one stage though. Around 5:30 or so in temple bar. Bottles and glasses being smashed all over the shop and then a garda car being milled outta it and stuff thrown at guards. Eventually cleared though and you could still drink on the street. Also the spar in there were apparently giving out free cans. Well at least a load of people who forgot to pay thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I feel sorry for all the people that didnt allow themselves to enjoy last night because they think they are oh so clever that they figured out its all just a big marketting ploy. So what. Nights like that are few and far between at the moment and I took full advantage and had a blast as did most of Ireland by the looks of it. The atmosphere down outside Grogans on South William Street in Dublin last night was brilliant . For one night we put all the sh!te thats going on at the moment with Lisbon and the recession to the side and just enjoyed ourselves. I say fair play to Deageo for organising it all.

Brilliant.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    it just seemed like there were too many drunk people throwing fast food wrappers around the place for my liking, but once i was numbed by alcohol i didn't care anymore. I'd imagine it was like St Patrick's day, but i've never been in town for that.

You are giving out about drunk people, yet you got so drunk you couldn't make it in to work, you are comparing it to what you imagine a night would be like that you have never been in the city for? I think your dislike of the night says more about you than it does about celebrations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

lightening wrote: »
    You are giving out about drunk people, yet you got so drunk you couldn't make it in to work, you are comparing it to what you imagine a night would be like that you have never been in the city for? I think your dislike of the night says more about you than it does about celebrations.

i didnt have to go to work and i'm not a messy drunk. Yes I am comparing it to st pat's day because all i hear every year are stories of vomit, fights, drunks etc., like last night. Make sense?
    What does my dislike of the night say about me?

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i didnt have to go to work and i'm not a messy drunk. Yes I am comparing it to st pat's day because all i hear every year are stories of vomit, fights, drunks etc., like last night. Make sense?
    What does my dislike of the night say about me?

I didn't see any puking or fights, I am sure there were a few alright, I was tipsy, I saw some drunks, you were drunk, so you can't go pointing the finger.

Everyone was having fun, except you it seems, the atmosphere was great in town. That's what I mean about your post and your other posts. You just don't seem to be able to enjoy yourself. Sorry, don't mean to be harsh Brazil, just look at your posts... You are even pessimistic about things you have never been to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Twas a bit of an anti climax for me. About seven different 'TO ARTHUR!' cheers started because everyone's phone had a different time. :p Added to that the queue for the bar and not getting a pint of guiness til half 6! It wasn't worth the effort really, the stuff tastes likes gone off coffee. But ya had to drink one anyway for the day that was in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

€6 for a pint of Guinness in Cafe En Seine last night !!

What a bunch of thieves, I hope they go under.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I didn't see any puking or fights, I am sure there were a few alright, I was tipsy, I saw some drunks, you were drunk, so you can't go pointing the finger.

Everyone was having fun, except you it seems. That's what I mean about your post and your other posts. You just don't seem to be able to enjoy yourself.

you can be drunk and behave. I just prefer town the way it normally is at the weekends over the way it was last night. Why do you always analyse my posts???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

7 Euro for gigs with big acts? Free pints? Good craic? Amazing atmosphere? Good entertainment? Everything is commercial now anplaya, even xmas! Better off grasping it and making it fun.

Yeah, you're right, better off staying in your bedroom in front of the computer.

nah wasnt even on the computer,posted this morning,with no hangover.
    big acts everywhere?doubt it
    free pints everywhere?doubt it
    it was a marketing ploy and a lot of people fell for it.doesnt mean i have to be one of the sheep and follow it.

better off having a mind of my own.baa.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RobbieM

Yea, paid €5.50 for a pint in Gogarty's last night and felt like the whole thing was a bit of a scam???

Wont make that mistake tonight!!!

http://short.ie/cheapbeer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

anplaya wrote: »
    nah wasnt even on the computer,posted this morning,with no hangover.
    big acts everywhere?doubt it
    free pints everywhere?doubt it
    it was a marketing ploy and a lot of people fell for it.doesnt mean i have to be one of the sheep and follow it.

better off having a mind of my own.baa.

it was clearly a marketing ploy, anyone could see that. But to be honest it was a great night so what is wrong with that? Oh you stayed in to defy the evil marketing stunt, fair play to ye:rolleyes:

nah ,dont go out on week nights,small problem called work in the morning.or do ya not have any yourself?:rolleyes:

it was a marketing ploy

So is this website. It was a marketing ploy, everyone that enjoyed it knew it was a marketing ploy, it was a good marketing ploy, it was fun, thousands of people went out and enjoyed themselves! Do you honestly think you were cleverer than everyone else because you smugly stayed at home? Do you think the people that went out and saw the acts and had a ball don't know their own minds? Think about it.

You - At home with a know all smug smile on your face, pleased with yourself for not "falling" for the marketing ploy.

Thousands of people - Out drinking pints and having a ball.

So is this website. It was a marketing ploy, everyone that enjoyed it knew it was a marketing ploy, it was a good marketing ploy, it was fun, thousands of people went out and enjoyed themselves! Do you honestly think you were cleverer than everyone else because you smugly stayed at home? Do you think the people that went out and saw the acts and had a ball don't know their own minds? Think about it.

You - At home with a know all smug smile on your face, pleased with yourself for not "falling" for the marketing ploy.

Thousands of people - Out drinking pints and having a ball.

nah couldnt give 2 ****s about people out enjoying themselves,up to themselves what they want to do.smug smile on my face?please.it seems all the good acts were up in dublin.i seriously doubt there were free pints all night.

ill take my smug smile and apply it to my pint of guinness when i go out on the piss to night and raise it 'to arthur' oh ****,im a day late ,oh well.ill try not to lose sleep over it.

nah ,dont go out on week nights,small problem called work in the morning.or do ya not have any yourself?:rolleyes:

im a student, studying marketing among other things, and i work. All im saying is that most people sensed a good time could be had, which it was. But if it makes you feel better that you wernt tricked into there world domination scheme then thats fine.

/waits for student rant

im a student, studying marketing among other things, and i work. All im saying is that most people sensed a good time could be had, which it was. But if it makes you feel better that you wernt tricked into there world domination scheme then thats fine.

/waits for student rant

world domination scheme?yawn.
    student rant?nah ,was one meself.

i want to make you smile, here watch this:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io63z-aRMbg&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Twas a bit of an anti climax for me. About seven different 'TO ARTHUR!' cheers started because everyone's phone had a different time. :p Added to that the queue for the bar and not getting a pint of guiness til half 6! It wasn't worth the effort really, the stuff tastes likes gone off coffee. But ya had to drink one anyway for the day that was in it!

So you were chanting marketing slogans for a beer that you don't even like? :D

The agency that handled the campaign will be able to retire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

stovelid wrote: »
    So you were chanting marketing slogans for a beer that you don't even like? :D

The agency that handled the campaign will be able to retire.

maybe mmmmmmmmmcheese likes gone off coffee :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

fryup wrote: »
    don't you find the popularity of guinness in the republic a wee bit ironic

well i mean in a country in which anti-protestant bigotry is widespread, that a drink created by a protestant should be so popular ...or do the irish conveniently overlook that:cool:

Widespread?:eek: That is hilarious

• Advertisement

it seems all the good acts were up in dublin

That's true, mind you, it is where most of the people were.
    i seriously doubt there were free pints all night.

I seriously doubt that too.
    ill take my smug smile and apply it to my pint of guinness when i go out on the piss to night and raise it 'to arthur'

Good man, the marketing department will be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

fryup wrote: »
    well i mean in a country in which anti-protestant bigotry is widespread, that a drink created by a protestant should be so popular ...or do the irish conveniently overlook that:cool:

Kind of adds up tbh. Consider the facts about Guinness and Southern Prods:

Both get called 'blacks'

Both are invariably rich

Both give the shits to the majority of the population down here

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bigbadpat wrote: »
    Arthur Guinness Day - Best / Worst Venue !!

I felt this event was a non event in my local because they only gave out one free pint while other venues provide free Guiness from 5 until 9 in the evening.

Did your local enter into the spirit of the event on the day and provide their regulars with free pints or none at all. Maybe they even put up the price of the pint for the event.

I would love to hear your comments.

in my local last night in sligo first pint was free what ever time you came in that evening, €4 a pint after that

pub channel was on the TV for a while but felt like any other night in the pub to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

irish-stew wrote: »
    in my local last night in sligo first pint was free what ever time you came in that evening, €4 a pint after that

pub channel was on the TV for a while but felt like any other night in the pub to be honest

We had the Blizzards in my watering hole, not every normal night in there do you have the entire pub singing Delilah together watching Pub TV, the craic yesterday in the pub was better than ever...cheers Arthur !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

What are you in bed by 7:30 or something? Or you don't go to pubs on weekdays because you can't help but get completely wasted every time? Go out, have a pint for Arthur, come home at 11:30. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

i seriously doubt there were free pints all night.

Unless of course you were jammy like me! I was in the storehouse. Free food, free guinness, Free music and even a nice free hotel room and breakfast.

I wish more marketing ploys were like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

Arthur was an Englishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Jackeenboy wrote: »
    Arthur was an Englishman.

ya u keep thinkin that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

was in diceys last night 3 quid a pint happy as larry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 i luv 2 shop

I ended up in the guinness brewery house with free drink, free food and paolo nutini and everyone obviously was in the mood up there so definetly a great day!
    but was in Kennedy's in James' st. first and pints were 2.50...thought they were gonna b that everywhere but they were charging over a fiver in cafe en seine.

Advertisement