Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT! Need Help!!!!

Options
  • 23-09-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

My 4 and a half month old Westie has started to act strangely this evening at around half 8. He started wimpering and crying and wasnt himself. My mum thought his legs looked a bit wobbly.

He is very scared and nervous and keeps just walking around and will hide somewhere or hide behind your back, he will start crying and then he will bite at his belly or he will scratch at his mouth and start crying and sometimes he will get up and go somewhere else to lay, as if something has scared him.

I rang the 24 hour vets and they said to hold until the morning and see how he is during the night. But i am very very worried about him and he is not himself, he will barely look at me and his belly is a little swollen too. I thought he might be constipated so brought him outside, but he just keeps walking around and walking in circles as if trying to get away from something.

Can anybody help me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ring the 24 hour vet back and tell them you're not happy to leave the dog overnight and want to bring him in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Not being gross - but have you checked his backside? Might he be clogged at all?
    What has he eaten today? (that you've noticed)

You can always still bring him to the vet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭cmf86

He has went to the toilet at my mums house and she said it was fine, He is crying away here and i dont know what to do. He keeps biting and scratching his skin and he will get up and move and lie down again. He is in alot of discomfort from what i am seeing. Would his skin be causing him any problems?? I know that westies are prone to things like that. Would his skin be irratable or anything like that.

He will now not let us near him, he was going to bite when we went to touch him, He is not happy and is most definatly in some sort of pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Has he been wormed lately? Is his belly hard and swollen to touch? And have you told the vet this if it is. Im no vet but it does sound like hes eaten something funny and has an upset tummy. Is there any chance he could've gotten into something like a bag of food or human sweets?
    Do you know has he passed urine and feaces normally today? I wouldn't be too worried if he hasn't pood but if he can't pee it can be serious. If you are very worried about him ring the vet back or ring a different vet and tell him your not happy with how he is.

My fella acts funny like that sometimes aswel, he walks around licking the floor frantically, I let him outside and he'l spend nearly half an hour eating grass like hes not had a meal in days, sometimes he throws up after sometimes he doesn't, hes always fine afterwards anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Get him down to the vets then - like the sweeper said, ring them and tell them you're coming now. He's clearly in a lot of discomfort hun, and neither he nor you will sleep tonight. You could be right about the skin, but at least the vet might be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

Just wondering how the little fella is doing this morning. Really hoping things improved.

Hi,

The vet rang me back last night and told me to take him in for her to look at. His repsonses were very slow and she said his eyes werent responding to light very well, so she kept him in overnight. She rang about an hour ago saying that he is a little brighter this morning and that she give him some meds and something for his swollen stomach, she said he poo'd alot after that. She is keeping him in until this evening to watch him over the day.

I am hoping he is going to be fine, i miss him terribly.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

cmf86 wrote: »
    Hi,

The vet rang me back last night and told me to take him in for her to look at. His repsonses were very slow and she said his eyes werent responding to light very well, so she kept him in overnight. She rang about an hour ago saying that he is a little brighter this morning and that she give him some meds and something for his swollen stomach, she said he poo'd alot after that. She is keeping him in until this evening to watch him over the day.

I am hoping he is going to be fine, i miss him terribly.

Thanks for all the comments and help.

I am really glad to hear that he is doing well. Sending lots of healing thoughts his way, and a hug to you. I know how worrying it is when a beloved pet is unwell. If only they could talk and tell us what is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

The best for your little guy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Thats great that he's feeling brighter, and that he's pood a lot!!!! Fingers crossed he just ate something that he shouldnt have, its sounds like that could have been all it was.
    Its crazy how dogs will just pick anything up off the street and munch away.

Fingers crossed you'll have him back home, happy and healthy, tonight!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments everybody!

The vet is keeping him tonight aswell just to be sure, this will cost me a fortune but as long as he comes back ok, i dont care.

She said that he seemed to have ingestional colic. Checked it up online and seems to be the symptoms that he had. The wee craitor was in so much pain.

I hope i definatly get him back tomorrow cause i dont think i can do another day or night with out him. (alot of people laugh when i say that but its true he's my wee baby)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Thanks for all the comments everybody!

The vet is keeping him tonight aswell just to be sure, this will cost me a fortune but as long as he comes back ok, i dont care.

She said that he seemed to have ingestional colic. Checked it up online and seems to be the symptoms that he had. The wee craitor was in so much pain.

I hope i definatly get him back tomorrow cause i dont think i can do another day or night with out him. (alot of people laugh when i say that but its true he's my wee baby)

I totally understand you. I would feel the same way if my dog was away for a day or two. Also maybe ou should invest in pet insurance. The cheapest I have seen is 123.ie @ 69 euro for a year.

Steve30x wrote: »
    I totally understand you. I would feel the same way if my dog was away for a day or two. Also maybe ou should invest in pet insurance. The cheapest I have seen is 123.ie @ 69 euro for a year.

My six week free insurance with allianz ended last friday, and i am just getting the money together to get the insurance, it was just my luck that it happened this week, but aw well as long as he still here,

69euro is really cheap i must check that out.

Edit - Just checkedout the 69 euro policy, it only covers for anything relating from an acccident, would be better paying the extra to cover any illnesses aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

My six week free insurance with allianz ended last friday, and i am just getting the money together to get the insurance, it was just my luck that it happened this week, but aw well as long as he still here,

69euro is really cheap i must check that out.

Your better sticking with alianz because theyre cover seems to be better. Its always the way that when you need the insurance or guarantee that as soon as the cover is gone or the guarantee is gone you will have some sort of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

just wondering how your little guy is today ,,his he home yet??

Got Jesse home an hour ago, was so delighted to see him and he is delighted to be home. He is in perfect form. I am going to have to make sure he doesnt eat anything that he is not meant to again. Wouldnt want him going through that again.

Thanks for all the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Glad to hear he's back home!:D So the vet thought it was something he ate then? Any idea what he could of gotten into?:rolleyes:

Advertisement