Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sachsenhausen

• 23-09-2009 10:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have been in Berlin for a few days. Went to shoot the Marathon there last Sunday. My biggest shoot yet, took 21,667 shots but had two faulty cameras.

On Tuesday I went to Sachsenhausen. To say it is a moving experience is like saying the Pope is a bit religious. I am still feeling rhe effects of being there.

Here are a couple of images I processed on the flight home.

126F11C88E6D4417A045B371BE4D030F.jpg

CE7229BDA11E4520A04E53E01685E66A.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lovely first shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Haunting images. The sepia toning is a good choice, imho.
    Horrible, horrible place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Now that I have a bit more time, a bit of explanation.

The first image are the haunting words that appeared on the gates of many of these vile places "ARBIET MACHT FREI" or "Work will set you Free". Of course the work in these places killed untold thousands rather than set them free. What did set the surviving imates free was Liberation by the Alllied forces. I had earlier in the year taken some shots of a Lancaster Bomber in a Battle of Britain Fly Over. The shots themselves were just Record Shots but when I saw this gate I realised that a Silhouette of the Lancaster could be a symbol of the fight to free those in this horrible place. My apologies to those who may have thought I was very lucky to be there just as a Lancaster happened to fly past.

The second image is of a washroom. The commentary said that these places would be crowded. The rush meant that those who were weak would often be trampled to death under the feet of the others. The gaurds were also known to have tortured & drowned inmates in the Foot Baths that can be seen on the right side. A little bit of HDR work done after a Sepia Conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Did you process the HDR image with one single RAW file or by taking the same shot in different exposures. Great images.
    I'm still amazed you took over 19,000 shots on the trip. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The HDR was two layers from the same RAW file. I do have a shot which I underexposed but they are both handheld, so tried with the single image to start with.

I took almost 22000 images on the Sunday. My right arm & shoulder were sore after that. The first position I went to I did not shoot that many. The first camera had a shutter starting to die & was missing each 4th or 5th shot. The spare I had was also faulty but this time it was the Reflex Mirror that was playing up. Everything through the viewfinder was out of focus & the framing changed for each shot. I just took images in the general direction & then chimped occasionally to make sure they were sharp. I think I did a bit under 2K like that. The next position was just after the Brandenburg Gate. I had chnaged to a new camera there & shot the bulk of the images as the runners had spread out. There were Germans with Rattles & Whistles right in my ear all day & they would not let up. Almost filled five 2GB cards with Large Basic Jpegs.

With my own camera I only shot about three or four hundred images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

CabanSail wrote: »
    What did set the surviving imates free was Liberation by the Alllied forces. I had earlier in the year taken some shots of a Lancaster Bomber in a Battle of Britain Fly Over. The shots themselves were just Record Shots but when I saw this gate I realised that a Silhouette of the Lancaster could be a symbol of the fight to free those in this horrible place. My apologies to those who may have thought I was very lucky to be there just as a Lancaster happened to fly past.

Ah, yes. The thought of 'how the heck??' did cross my mind briefly, so thanks for enlightening me! Well done, though, I really think the plane silhouette fits in very nicely.
    'Arbeit macht frei' - still makes me speechless, I have no words for the atrocities that took place during that time. I haven't been to a KZ (Konzentrationslager - Concentration Camp) as of yet, but seeing how integral it is to my country's history, I really should go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »
    The shots themselves were just Record Shots but when I saw this gate I realised that a Silhouette of the Lancaster could be a symbol of the fight to free those in this horrible place. My apologies to those who may have thought I was very lucky to be there just as a Lancaster happened to fly past.

I figured something like this, its just a little too neat. So you've produced a piece of illustration, not a photograph. I feel kind of uneasy about casually photoshopping pictures of death camps somehow. I think its the start of a somewhat slippery road.

I figured something like this, its just a little too neat. So you've produced a piece of illustration, not a photograph. I feel kind of uneasy about casually photoshopping pictures of death camps somehow. I think its the start of a somewhat slippery road.

You are correct in that it is not a Documentary Photograph. It is a juxtaposition of two images to express a feeling. Both images are my own & it was not done casually at all. I did wait to see if a bird would fly past, but there were actually very few around. These sort of images have been produced from the very early days of photography. Personally I do not import other elements into a photograph very often, this being a rare exception. I would not try to pass this off as being a documentary image. As to interpreting one's feelings when experiencing something as moving a site like this, I fail to see how it's a slippery slope.

Now that I am at home I have fiddled with these images a bit more.

A friend suggested this one may look better with the Lancaster flying away. So I have selected a different image of it to use instead.

B89AB13986B74290914B880919A6383A.jpg

On this one I have dropped in the underexposed window which has got rid of the Burn but I am not certain if the extra detail is an improvement or not?

318314AA9E324BF087689F1844256E57.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I think I prefer the first versions.
    I do realise the camp is behind those gates, but seeing the plane leaving me behind (even though it's in the direction of the camp) feels much more unfriendly. Maybe because it looks like it is only flying over the camp with no intention to land and help...I felt much more peace looking at the first version.

And not sure about the window in the bathroom. The first version gave the impression of isolation. Now there is something (a world) outside the room and it looks more like just any empty room.

My 2cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I agree that the first versions were better. The plane just doesn't work in reverse for me.

You mentioning the lack of birds reminds me of the chorus for the Manic Street Preachers song Mausoleum which is about concentration camps.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Without a doubt the first set work. The Lancaster flying away ruins the effect. Lovely shots....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I really like the first photos too. They convey something of the horror I feel for these places. I have been to Berlin but didn't have the stomach to visit any Nazi death camp.

I was hoping to pay a visit to Plotzensee Prison where many German anti Nazis were guillotined or hanged but I couldn't pluck up the courage.
    http://www.gedenkstaette-ploetzensee.de/index_e.html

Advertisement