Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(GAMING) It's Finally Out - Bow To The King

Options
  • 23-09-2009 10:50pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yep, the GTX285 finally got whipped. Very, very badly. Then again the HD5870 is about as powerful as a HD4870X2 (drivers and possibly memory bus holding it back a bit; should be faster actually!) Power consumption should be about the same as outgoing cards. In theory. X-Bit wasn't satisfied with the usual tests (in which the HD5870 clocked 100W, but this is believed to be erroneously low) as they don't think the HD5870 was very well utilized. FurMark puts it around 160W, but this is believed to be erroneously high even for a test known to be a worse-than-worse-case-scenario monkey (eh, Linpack? ;))

Sadly it looks like that until nVidia counter-attacks, gaming-grade 40nm AMD cards are going to carry one heck of a price premium - the HD5870 is shaping up to be about as expensive as the outgoing HD4870X2. Sadly, it also looks like the HD5850 is going to be about as expensive as a cheap GTX285 for a while, but given that it may not be that much faster I'm hoping it'll come down a fair bit in price when stock levels improve. Still no HD5850 reviews though! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It didnt beat the 295?

and the x2 was pretty equal from the review I read (single review, didn't get time to read more today) but then you can't seem to buy it many places so irrelevant I guess.
    AMD was shooting to beat the GTX 295 with the 5870, but in our benchmarks that’s not happening. The 295 and the 5870 are close, perhaps close enough that NVIDIA will need to reconsider their position, but it’s not enough to outright dethrone the GTX 295. NVIDIA still has the faster single-card solution, although the $100 price premium is well in excess of the <10% performance premium.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HD5870 = HD4890X2 (unreleased) > HD4870X2. AMD has a habit of poor performance on early drivers, and in most reviews they were actually using beta drivers so the bulk of the explanation lies there methinks ;) Same with OC - saw this with the HD4850 last time around too. 10-15MHz max increase at the beginning of the run and (in the HD4850s case at least) 100MHz+ possible OC once the drivers matured :D

Also, I noticed improved SLI scaling a lot in the benches. nVidia had been attacking those issues with driver updates a fair bit lately so the GTX295 is leaner and meaner than before with both matured SLI and matured drivers. Bit of an uphill struggle for the HD5870 to gun for that while still beta! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Have you seen Komplett pricing of them compared to Ocuk?
    Wtf is all i can say.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=498317 :eek::eek:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-214-SP

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

game4it70 wrote: »
    Have you seen Komplett pricing of them compared to Ocuk?
    Wtf is all i can say.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=498317 :eek::eek:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-214-SP

Komplett price gouging?! shocked

komFAIL.png

Fail Of The Week! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I noticed that myself. Couldn't believe it when I saw it. I think my exact words aloud were "Gouging scumbags!" :p

I can't see them selling many at that price. Only the uninformed are going to pay that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

you whore!

and 40 mins before your thread too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Now if they'd only start appearing at some decent prices, can't shop on OCUK, they're registered for Vat here. They're for pre order on Scan.co.uk, but priced too high

anyone wanna buy a 4870X2? :D

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Now if they'd only start appearing at some decent prices, can't shop on OCUK, they're registered for Vat here. They're for pre order on Scan.co.uk, but priced too high

I might actually!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PogMoThoin wrote: »

i will if the price is right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

One particular 5850 is listed at 222 euros on hws.

From the benches on techpowerup it seems to beat the more expensive GTX 285.

DX11 and underperforming to boot..

Seems v good to me might get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hasuki

I asked them is it was an error they said no.

What asses. Elara have them up for €345. Cheapest I found was LambaTek for £278.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Hasuki wrote: »
    I asked them is it was an error they said no.

What asses. Elara have them up for €345. Cheapest I found was LambaTek for £278.

thats a good price. i have never bought from them before, anyone know the delviery charge to ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hasuki

15-20

Usually get it next day though. they are the best store I used, great customer service also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I ordered from dabs.ie the last time..
    Might take a few days to arrive but they're cheaper than komplett...
    Remember I bought my 4870X2 for €424 on there at launch day.
    About €150 cheaper than those gougers on OC and Komplett.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/sapphire-technology-ati-radeon-5870-hd-1gb-ddr5-pci-express-dvi-661N.html?q=5870

5870 going for €347 this time around.

The 5850 equates to what then?

i think im going to wait till nvidia brings out there new cards before i buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Griffin87 wrote: »
    i think im going to wait till nvidia brings out there new cards before i buy.

Prices will have come down a little then for the ATI stuff and they will no doubt have launched their 5870x2 to counter what ever Nvidia brings out.

You still on a 8800GTS 640mb?

When are nVidia releasing the G300? Should kick off a nice little price war if they can stay in contention otherwise the HD5000 are a wee bit pricey right now IMHO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

For those of us who don't have 6 spare screens lying around to take advantage of eyefinity ( http://media.bestofmicro.com/C/Z/223379/original/ATI-Eyefinity-3x2-Codemasters-GRID.jpg ) and with no DX11 titles coming out for a while, I can't see how anyone could reasonably justify the price tag on the 5870 at the moment:, there doesn't seem to be any real point to getting a 5870 at the moment.

As for the Komplett pricing... wow... just wow...

(Though, to be fair, they probably only need to sell 1 to make up for about 10 other lost sales!)

The only reason is so you can invest in a single-GPU card that, with mature drivers, can whip a GTX295's ass :P

The HD5850 is a lot more down-to-earth; its darn pricey but still a very good option for those mulling over the classic mid-high-end question: One HD4890 or two? :D

EDIT: Its begun; HWVS has dropped the Club HD5850 down from la-la-land to under the €210 mark :)

Okay, I'm digressing a bit, but... something that may interest some of you. techPowerUp did an oddball HD5870 review, with reference to PCIe lane width. The results may surprise some of you :) Full article here.

perfrel.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

That's no suprise to me, I dont think people really understand how powerful the PCI-E 2.0 socket is. Loads of my friends were saying the P55 chipset is useless because they didn't up the NB to support two x16 lanes. I couldn't believe them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

Solitaire wrote: »
    When are nVidia releasing the G300? Should kick off a nice little price war if they can stay in contention otherwise the HD5000 are a wee bit pricey right now IMHO...

Rumours are it's badly delayed due to very low yields.

uberpixie wrote: »
    Prices will have come down a little then for the ATI stuff and they will no doubt have launched their 5870x2 to counter what ever Nvidia brings out.

You still on a 8800GTS 640mb?

No have a HD4870 1gb, put the 8800 in my mothers pc :) didnt bother to sell it. My brother said he would by the the card i have now so when the prices drop it should be a cheap enough upgrade.

5850 reviews

http://hothardware.com/Articles/AMD-ATI-Radeon-HD-5850-Performance-Review/

http://techreport.com/articles.x/17652
    the Radeon HD 5850 performed right on par with or just ahead of the GeForce GTX 285. The Radeon HD 5850 was also significantly faster than the Radeon HD 4890, but it trailed the more powerful and more expensive cards, like the Radeon HD 4870 X2, GeForce GTX 295, and of course the Radeon HD 5870.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5850-review-crossfire/1

Guru3D's review with 5850 both single and crossfire :)

Time to upgrade my 8800GT I reckon lol.

yes right now the 5850 definately looks like amazing value for the price! will be considering it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

WOW
    Better than a 285 and around 70 euro cheaper!!!!

WOW

Did you see the amount guru3d overclocked that too!!! And that's with it's new drivers....

Advertisement