Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EF 14 mm F2.8 L II USM - Anyone have one?

• 23-09-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting this together with a 5d MkII. Does anyone have one, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Also considering the 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM as an alternative. An difference in IQ between the 2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Tried one out at a CPS show and it looked really nice, dont have enough work for one though and very pricey too. If pushed I would go for the 24L II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Id also go for the ef 24mm f1.4L II
    the new version is much sharper at f1.4 than the first, also has better lens coating

theres also the ef 15mm fisheye (rated very highly) which you could 'defish' with the DXO software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I just recently got the 14mm to go with the 5dii, but never tried the others so I can't offer a comparison. Obviously it's far sharper than the Sigma 10-20mm I had with the 450D, but damn it's pricey.

It's amazing for city/landscapes, fun for wildly exaggerated perspectives eg subjects hands up to the lens appear gigantic a la Kenny Everett preacher, but portraits need the face close to the centre to avoid stretching which is severe at the edges and a pet hate of mine.

Don't forget everything else you might want from strobes to printer when you're setting the lens budget...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have the 15mm fisheye and it is superb, sharp throughout the range and I have some super shots from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have the 16-35 and it's great, tried out a 14 last week and loved too, but I'd stick with the 16-35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Picked one up a couple of weeks ago.

I've a 17-40 which is my usual WA, and a 15mm fisheye (Sigma). and both are superb.

but, I've noticed I'm shooting wider all the time, and getting closer to my subjects. Sometimes I'm wishing my 17-40 would go wider! And I'm shooting it at 17, and sometimes wide open at F4. So I figured I might like this lens. I'm going to give it a few months / few events where I would use it, and decide them if I'll keep it.

Results: It seems stunning! very little distortion if you keep the camera level, an you can get within a few inches of stuff and still focus on it. that said, I've not used it in anger yet.

I often use the 17-40 as a remote camera lens,I'll be nervous of doing that with the 14 due to it's cost, and because you cannot put a filter on the front of it. But what a remote lens it would make!

If you have a 5dII now, and want to try the lens, let me know, we can meet up and you can have a test drive.

Merv.

Advertisement